2 Firefighter held hostage in Lafayette LA

On August 14, 2009, at approximately 8:30 am, the Lafayette Fire Department responded to a stove fire at the address of 125 Branton Street. The Fire Department was cancelled while en-route, but one engine continued to respond to verify that the fire was extinguished. When fire fighters arrived on the scene they made contact with a 32 year old male inside of the residence. The male subject was immediately combative towards the firemen. The male suspect then slammed the front door shut with the two firemen still inside of the home. The door was locked and the suspect advised the firemen that they were his hostages and threatened the firemen with bodily harm. The firemen fled out the back door and over a fence. The Lafayette Police Department was contacted.

The suspect refused to exit the home. The Lafayette Police Department's Swat and Negotiator Teams were activated and responded to the scene. Negotiators opened dialog, but were unable to convince him to exit the residence. At approximately 11:40 am, the decision was made to enter the home and search for the suspect when he was not responsive to negotiations. SWAT members entered the front door of the residence and found the suspect lying face down and unresponsive. The suspect was transported to a local hospital were an Order of Protective Custody was obtained for Suspect to be evaluated.

Upon the suspect being released from the medical facility, he will be arrested on two warrants for Terrorizing and False Imprisonment. The two firemen were not injured during the incident.

The Terrorizing charge is from his statements that he has a bomb inside the house.

mack

Administrator
Have not heard of any hostage situation but there have been many actual attacks on firefighters, in NYC (and in many, many other departments).  I was riding in SI, mid 80's, and responded to a marina fire.  Good job and good stop made by E162/L82/E165/L85.  The owner showed up when fire was knocked down, asked to see the chief - and knocked him unconscious.  Broke his jaw.  The BC was my dad.  While we were in the hospital, the medical officer arrived and said he had just come from Manhattan where a firefighter had a meathook stuck into his leg by a homeless guy he was removing from a vacant building fire. 

Weren't the 3 firefighters riding the back step of Squad 1 hit by a shotgun blast on Honeywell Ave & E 178 St back around 1975?

Bulldog

Bulldog
mack said:
Have not heard of any hostage situation but there have been many actual attacks on firefighters, in NYC (and in many, many other departments).  I was riding in SI, mid 80's, and responded to a marina fire.  Good job and good stop made by E162/L82/E165/L85.  The owner showed up when fire was knocked down, asked to see the chief - and knocked him unconscious.  Broke his jaw.  The BC was my dad.
Do you ever find out the reason he knocked out the chief?  Just guessing I would assume he started the fire and was mad they put it out!

"Mack", that's quite a story, especially involving your father. And "fdce54", I"m sure you are correct about the guys from Squad 1 being shot in the Bronx. There have been numerous, numerous attacks on Firefighters. Bricks from the roof tops, holes cut in floors, ballons filled with gasoline to explode as firefighters enter a building. These are just a few. Today drug addicts, EDP's all pose a huge risk for firefighters.
  Years ago, riots caused several injuries or fatalities to firefighters. I think in a riot that occurred in Washington Hgts during the 1980s, a member of Engine 93 was shot. The L.A. Riots in 1992 involved a Tillerman being shot while operating the rig. He survived but received serious injuries. A riot in Detroit back in the late 60s saw the murder of a firefighter being shot while operating at the tip of the aerial ladder.
  Firefighters of today face injury not only while fighting these fires, but from outside interference by people who are trying to injure them or worse.

Not sure how true the story is about a member of E-93 getting shot but two members riding the back step of E-93 (one detail from E-67 if I'm not mistaken) were hit with molotov cocktail bomb during the Washington Heights riots in July 1992.  Could you have been mistaken that for someone getting shot?

Yes Mr 'It is What it is". You are Correct, my mistake. That is the incident I was talking about. They were not shot, but hit with a mototov cocktail bomb. And I forgot, it was "two members" not one. Thanks guy.

It Is What It Is said:
Not sure how true the story is about a member of E-93 getting shot but two members riding the back step of E-93 (one detail from E-67 if I'm not mistaken) were hit with Molotov cocktail bomb during the Washington Heights riots in July 1992.  Could you have been mistaken that for someone getting shot?

The incident involving 93 engine in Washington Heights occurred during rioting by "the locals". The members were seated, riding inside the crew cab of 93's apparatus. A piece of human garbage threw a Molotov cocktail through the window into the interior where the men were located. One member was seriously injured as a result.

The "local" who committed this crime fled the country like the coward that he is and was eventually tracked down and arrested (I believe in the Dominican Republic) and brought back to NYC to stand trial.

mack

Administrator
Bulldog - My dad was attacked by the building owner.  He was drunk and angry that the cops did not arrest a groupd of kids watching the fire.  He thought the kids set the fire but there were no eyewitnesses.  The guy was pissed at the cops and he took it out on a target with a helmet and boots.  The guy was arrested and charged with a felony after he was "restrained" by the members.  He later pleaded guilty to lesser charge .  I think most people respect firefighters a lot more today.

This post rings pretty true to me. I had an uncle who was a Lt in Boston. He was assigned to Ladder 4 in the Roxbury section of town. One day he swirched with another member onLadder 23 in the Grove Hall section. Duing this time there was unrest over welfare payments. That night a box was transmitted for a building fire in Dorchester, Ladder 23 was first due. As my uncle began to ascend the aerial a shot ran out and h was hit in the hand. Because of the nature of the wound his finger was amputated. Because he did not have complete use of his hand he was removed from front line company status and later was in charge of maintenance. By the way while this was happening I was serving in Vietnam, go figure :(

grumpy grizzly said:
That night a box was transmitted for a building fire in Dorchester, Ladder 23 was first due. As my uncle began to ascend the aerial a shot ran out and h was hit in the hand. Because of the nature of the wound his finger was amputated. Because he did not have complete use of his hand he was removed from front line company status and later was in charge of maintenance. By the way while this was happening I was serving in Vietnam, go figure :(

"grumpy grizzly" First, may I say "Thank You" for your service to our Country. During the Viet Nam War, many cities in this country were also War Zones. And its Police Officers, EMTs, "AND" Firefighters were coming under attack. Whether it was a Brick or a Bullet, they became targets. In "My Younger Buff Years", the FDNY Member who was the Captain of Engine 82 during 1973 - 1976 talked about Aldos St in the Bronx. How they often had to back out because they became targets as they pulled into that area. It seems that there is a lot less of that trouble today. If so, I hope it stays that way.

mack

Administrator
I also want to thank you for your service, grumpy grizzly.  It is sad that he got shot but you were both fighting in a war, often thanklessly and often in danger.  I did a few tours with E 17/L 18/Bn 4 in their old house on Broome St.  It was a busy house and they did a lot of work.  They had PD assigned at times for protection.  Their parking lot had more fencing and barbed wire than some of our prisons.  You probably remember a guy from my high school - a great guy - Mary Celic.  He was assigned to L 18 and I think he was doing OT in E 15 when they had a tenament, stretched to the top floor, and then someone torched the floor below cutting them off. The engine members dove for the bucket and Marty did not make it.  I was told that a few of the onlookers actually cheered when this happened.  A lot more to that story but what a loss.  They have been doing a Marty Celic run for many years to honor him.  Actually, they should honor everyone who served back then and who serve today.  And also, our service members and veterans.