2024 MARCH MONTHLY ZOOM MEETING - 5 MAR 2024, 1930 Hs, NY Time

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
WHEN: TUES EVENING, 5 MARCH 2024 at 1930 HRS, Eastern Time.

SPEAKER: Gary Greenbaum

SUBJECT: A look at Major Events handled by FDNY including the Happy Lands Social

Club Fire, 25 March 1990, claiming 87 lives.

The fire was the deadliest in New York City since the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire, which coincidentally occurred on the same day in 1911.

The Happy Land Social Club fire was an act of arson that killed 87 people on March 25, 1990 in the Bronx in New York City, United States. The 87 victims were trapped in the unlicensed Happy Land social club, located at 1959 Southern Boulevard in the West Farms section of the Bronx.

As time permits, Gary will provide a review of other well-known incidents.

BIO

Gary has always been a resident of Westchester County, New York residing just a few miles north of the New York City border.

He began his career as a Fire Alarm Dispatcher in February of 1977, was promoted to Supervising Fire Alarm Dispatcher in March of 1988 and retired in July of 2018.

He was assigned to the FDNY Bureau of Fire Communication, specifically Fire Dispatch Operations. He worked in all five Boroughs (Counties) of New York City and held many positions during his tenure including Training Officer and was chosen to perform on several different committees supporting the Bureau, the fire department, and the City of New York.

There were many happy tours and some terrible ones. The very worst being September 11th, 2001.

He has received recognition from the department including a medal for excellence in the performance of duty, several awards, and certificates during his career.

Afterwards, you are invited to join the fellow members at the virtual kitchen table.

Monthly Meetings are held on the first Tuesday of each month. Changes are printed in RED and will be normally announced in advance. Meeting dates for the remainder of 2024 will occur on:

• 02 Apr
  • 07 May
  • 04 Jun
  • 02 Jul
  • 06 Aug
  • 03 Sep
  • 01 Oct
  • 12 NOV
  • 03 Dec
Please reserve the dates in your 2024 Calander. If you have any additional questions please feel free to reach out to Atlas@NYCFire.net

THANK YOU Atlas.

I am certainly looking forward to joining this zoom meeting.

I, as well as others here, have gotten to know Gary from previous zoom meetings and he is NOT only a good friend, but also has a wealth of knowledge and experience from his very busy FDNY Dispatching DAYS.

So I hope you tune in this Tuesday evening, March 5th for Nycfire's monthly zoom meeting.

By the way, Gary also has a son on the job in a busy Westchester County Fire Department.

Thank you "jbendick" as well.
See you all on Tuesday (3/5).

Everyone one this site has a wealth of knowledge, it’s unbelievable. These guys make me feel lIke I just came on the job. Even after 35 years, the more I listen the more I learn. Thank you John B. for this great opportunity to hear from the best.

Willy, are absolutely right, Gary is a walking encyclopedia.

I have seen some of Gary’s presentations before. He is a true FDNY historian who does a phenomenal job of presenting, especially from the FDNY CO perspective. I am looking forward to attending this one online.

I have seen some of Gary’s presentations before. He is a true FDNY historian who does a phenomenal job of presenting, especially from the FDNY CO perspective. I am looking forward to attending this one online.
Tom, you have a wealth of knowledge to share also. Thanks for your contributions as well.

Tom, you have a wealth of knowledge to share also. Thanks for your contributions as well.

"Lt. Q" - I sure agree.

You and I have attended previous NYCFIRE Zoom Meetings in which "Capttomo" was the Guest Speaker.
He, "Capttomo", certainly has his share of knowledge as well.

Growing up in the Bronx and observing the FDNY, then getting on the job in a large department in Florida and working his way up to Battalion Chief, I believe in charge of Haz Mat or Special Operations, he has quite a resume.

As I recall, he even spent some time at the FDNY Fire Academy, aka "The Rock", teaching some of his specialties.

For me, whether it's Lt Q., "Captomo", Gary Greenbaum, "Atlas" or "jbendick", it sure is an HONOR to know and learn from these guys.

Of course, there are others on this website too, that often share with ALL of US their knowledge and experience.
Whether that be the FDNY, EMS, or other Fire and EMS Departments, as well as Dispatchers, Buffs, etc.

THANK YOU ALL
And don't forget to tune in to the NYCFIRE Zoom Meeting on Tuesday evening, March 5th, at 7:30 pm NYC time.