23rd Street Collapse

On the night of the 23 St. Collapse at Manhattan Box 598, I was in the quarters of Ladder 3 on E. 13th St. where I was a Buff, at the time. The meal had just about finished when the box 598 came in. L-3 left, and I went to the housewatch to hear what was going on at the Housewatch Department Radio receiver. When I heard the fire was a, "10-30" the old FDNY signal for a working fire, I got into my car and rushed to the scene.
Heavy smoke enveloped W. 23 St. and it was clear that a serious cellar fire was in progress. I think a 2nd Alarm had already been transmitted and suddenly a large amount of Smoke and Dust blew out of the Wonder Wholesale Drug store, near where I was standing. I saw firemen that had been operating in the cellar and 1st floor, of the Wonder Wholesale Drug Store scramble out of the sidewalk cellar entrance, including members of Ladder 3 and Engine 14. Some the escaping members had no helmets, and their hair was smoking. Those of us standing out in the street used our bare hands or anything else we could to help put out the members singed and smoldering hair. I knew it was very bad when a member of Ladder 3 I knew said to me there are "guys trapped in there" and saw firemen grabbing what they could and trying to reenter the building, to rescue those trapped. I will never forget the bravery of those firemen who tried to go back in to rescue their brothers. The caring I saw is what made me sure that I wanted to in some way be like these brave men. At the time of the W. 23 St. Collapse NO F.A.S.T. OR R.I.T. existed in the FDNY.
On Jan. 27, 1973, I was appointed to the F.D.N.Y. and thought about that night and the love of the "Brothers" for each other.
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired.