23rd Street Collapse

mack

Administrator
Thanks Mack for your additions .... ^^^ in reply # 17 the traditional routed Green & Gold NYC Park Dept sign reads Green St's however the actual named Bernard Tepper Triangle is directly behind that in a larger Trianglular area with a similar Green & Gold routed sign with FF Tepper's name.

BT.jpg

Lt. Q

When I was a proby in E5, there was a member that was a proby at that fire. He was instructed to remain at the top of the stairs, as the rest of the company entered the cellar. After a short time, he observed papers and debris being sucked down the stairs. Not sure what was happening he shouted to all members to get out of the cellar. As at least 2 companies L3 and E5 raised up the stairs as the fire roared over their heads. He saved many more from sure death. Unfortunately he is no longer with us. RIP to all!

Lt. Q

Another short bit of info, when E5 called to the 23 St. fire, the rig wouldn’t start. Being a 54 Mack gas engine with a stick shift, the members hand pushed the rig to the apron to pop the clutch. This delay allowed E18 to get in before E5.

memorymaster

It seemed that 99% of engine companies from the Battery to Midtown had those '54 Macks. My dad loved that rig.

1261Truckie

L-132 had two former members of L-3 assigned as Lieutenants. One of them, PC, was working in E-5 that night on a 30 day detail prior to his promotion to Lieutenant. He told us Nick's story. Indeed the FDNY could have lost more that night. Never Forget.

Lt. Q

The one drawback with the 54 Mack was that it didn’t have a booster tank. So either you had to hook up to a hydrant or a hose directly off the hydrant for all rubbish fires. Then in 1969 they had to cover the cab and back step with wood to protect the members.

memorymaster

The one drawback with the 54 Mack was that it didn’t have a booster tank. So either you had to hook up to a hydrant or a hose directly off the hydrant for all rubbish fires. Then in 1969 they had to cover the cab and back step with wood to protect the members.
I recall Pop telling me that at certain boxes north of 16's quarters if they saw an auto or rubbish he sort of eased up on the gas so 21 engine would get in first and hit it with the booster. 21 had a Ward LaFrance at the time. lol

Lt. Q

E5 did the same thing with E28, and we would ask them if they would use their booster. I’m sure there were times I worked with your Pop when I got detailed to 29th street.

memorymaster

E5 did the same thing with E28, and we would ask them if they would use their booster. I’m sure there were times I worked with your Pop when I got detailed to 29th street.
Probably not Loo. He retired in '58 when they were still on 25th street.