5/23/22 Marine Unit Mutual Aid Request

Does a staff chief or a deputy chief respond to mutual aid incidents to go to the command post to represent the FDNY? I’m also thinking they may want a senior chief there just “to keep an eye on operations” and if things started going south they may speak up and say, “It’s your scene, do what you want, but if you follow that course of action I will have to pull my guys off the line.” Not adversarial, just evaluating and deciding it’s too risky in his view.

Bulldog

Bulldog
Does a staff chief or a deputy chief respond to mutual aid incidents to go to the command post to represent the FDNY? I’m also thinking they may want a senior chief there just “to keep an eye on operations” and if things started going south they may speak up and say, “It’s your scene, do what you want, but if you follow that course of action I will have to pull my guys off the line.” Not adversarial, just evaluating and deciding it’s too risky in his view.
I'm guessing it for an incident like this a command chief is not dispatched, the Marine battalion was probably the highest ranking FDNY officer on scene.

View attachment 19785
The operation area is within the circle. FDNY Fire boat BRAVEST is still on scene as of 0855 hrs along with the Coast Guard Cutter Bonito. New Jersey is to the right & Delaware is to your left. The burning barge was removed from the main shipping channel.
Isn't The Bravest like a spare boat? I thought that Marine 6 is The Feehan

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Isn't The Bravest like a spare boat? I thought that Marine 6 is The Feehan of the two.
Since Fireboat 343 is out for annual inspection & repairs, Marine 1 has been using the Feehan. Marine 6 covers a large area with the Bravest being the fastest vessel in the fleet, so they apparently like using it. I have seen Marine 6 use the Feehan during the winter months & the Bravest during the warmer months. The Feehan is the newest of the two.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Isn't The Bravest like a spare boat? I thought that Marine 6 is The Feehan of the two.
Since Fireboat 343 is out for annual inspection & repairs, Marine 1 has been using the Feehan. Marine 6 covers a large area with the Bravest being the fastest vessel in the fleet, so they apparently like using it. I have seen Marine 6 use the Feehan during the winter months & the Bravest during the warmer months. The Feehan is the newest of the two.

Isn't there a fireboat in Delaware? (Wilmington?)
There were several local fireboats on scene.

Don't know which marine unit it was (probably Marine 1 based on Atlas' comment above), but the Feehan was training with the Innundator (I just can't bring myself to call it the "Super Pumper") today. Photos from US Fire Pump:

!.jpg

!!.jpg

!!!.jpg

!!!!.jpg

!!!!!.jpg