5-7 signal and emergency crew

F

fdnysiny

Two things,
1.What is  5-7 signal ( Phone alram 5-7 signal box 4257 ......)
2. The Emergency Crew, I have seen them driving the same rig Rac drives. The have a globe as there logo so I was thinking urban rescue? Any ideas?

F

fdnysiny

http://onthejobny.com/gallery/F-D-N-Y-Rigs/album87/IMG_5163.jpg.html
Heres a pic of the rig.

Part 1:  This is a throwback to when alarms went out over the bells.  "5" was the preliminary signal for an engine company, "7" for a truck.  So if you wanted to special call, say, engine 15 to box 1234 you would send out "5-1234-15"; then ladder 2 to the same box as "7-1234-2".  Individual s/c's did not go over the radio.

But if there was an incident requiring just 1+1 to respond to that box, the dispatcher would "tip" the 1st due engine & truck by telephone, and then transmit 57-1234 over the bells.  Traditionally 57 signals were, and apparently still are, given out over the radio just like pulled boxes & phone alarms.

I hope my memory servces correctly, but the bell signals as they were back when were......

2: 12 noon time signal (not given in combination with anything else)
3: special building box (a/k/a class-3) preliminary [it preceded the box & terminal numbers, as in 3-1234-1]
4: battalion preliminary
5: engine preliminary
6: Marine Co. preliminary
7: truck preliminary
8: squad preliminary
9: Misc special unit preliminary (depending on terminal.  e.g. Ambulance 2 was 9-xxxx-2, Thawing apparatus was 9-xxxx-64").
10: rescue preliminary
11: telegraph test signal
13-1-13  air raid drill
13-2-13  the real thing
15: engine relocation
17: truck relocation
65-2: monitor radio for announcement
5-5-5-5: monitor radio for LOD death announcement

"Signal 18" and "Signal 9-2" could be tapped in from a telegraph key contained inside every street box.  An aracane telegraph signal that most people never heard of was 2-9, which meant "return the Marine Company".

Part 2: I really dunno, but the rig posted in this thread looks like a dpeartment maintenance vehcile of some sort.  :p

F

fdnysiny

Thanks so  much, I got everyhting I neede with the 5-7 signal thanks for the history lesson also!  I looked up the rig online last night its an emergency mechanic that goes out and keeps the rigs running.  Thanks again!

Here are all of the old bell signals: http://www.firebellclub.org/signals.html

F

fdonthejob

the "emergeny crew" is the department mechanics for the apparatus.