53 Truck

When is 53 Truck going to be replaced ? I know that it's not in bad shape and it runs fine but , It is a 2001 rig. Has anyone heard anything about if this Rig will be replaced any time soon ? Thanks.

I don't know if it'll get replaced soon. I think it's one of the companies that the mayor wants to close. So, if it stays open, then maybe.

I dont think that it will be replaced if the company stays open any way. They at one time did have a 2000 Seagrave tower that 53 recieved new then it was taken from them and reassigned to Ladder 45. Im sure this has alot to do with being the slowest company in the city.

Isn't there something in either the UFA or the UFOA contract that dates back a long time that limits the age of a front line rig to either 10 or 11 years?

I believe their rig is a one of a kind and was donated to the city after 9/11.  Might be a Spartan?

Apparatus in front line service are supposed to be replaced after 10 full years, hence 11. As in case in point rearmounts were well over that time and still in service and by the time grievances and so on are filed and looked at the rigs were replaced by the new Ferrera rearmounts, so city got 12 or 13 years on some of the rigs. The truck 53 has is a kitbash of an old Baker Boom Tower Ladder onto a Spartan chassis. Not sure if it is on replacement list of towers.

Unfortunately, if Bloomberg gets his way he'll save almost 1 million doolars on a replacement Tower Ladder 53 rig. :mad:

Keep in mind that 53 is not even the "oldest" tower in the fleet right now. Many of the 95' are older and there are still some 2000 75' ladders left (157 and 87). I've heard about an add on order for 8 units which would replace those 2 and 6 of the 2001 Seagrave tower ladders in service.

johnd248 said:
I believe their rig is a one of a kind and was donated to the city after 9/11.  Might be a Spartan?
It's a Spartan with a boom from the 1970's.

Question about Tower-Ladder 53. How does it fare on City Island and anywhere else if going on second-due boxes. I mean this by both the operations/driveability standpoint and how the individual firefighters like/dislike the different brand of cab. I'm hoping if they dislike it, that the thread doesn't one where everything gets bashed and posts become negative. I'm just wanting to know an educated opinion and a comparison and contrast.

pauloghia said:
Question about Tower-Ladder 53. How does it fare on City Island and anywhere else if going on second-due boxes. I mean this by both the operations/driveability standpoint and how the individual firefighters like/dislike the different brand of cab. I'm hoping if they dislike it, that the thread doesn't one where everything gets bashed and posts become negative. I'm just wanting to know an educated opinion and a comparison and contrast.
I don't believe they respond off the Island or really even leave it unless for administrative purposes or to go to the Rock. A for them liking the cab or not , I don't think it really matters to them as long as there is room and a bit of space , A couple of guys told me the worst rig they ever were on was the old 1994-1995 Seagrave tower ladders. All the seats were right next to each other and it was really a tight squeeze , but I think there were some sea next to door or something like that.

I don't believe they respond off the Island or really even leave it unless for administrative purposes or to go to the Rock. A for them liking the cab or not , I don't think it really matters to them as long as there is room and a bit of space , A couple of guys told me the worst rig they ever were on was the old 1994-1995 Seagrave tower ladders. All the seats were right next to each other and it was really a tight squeeze , but I think there were some sea next to door or something like that.
[/quote]

Thanks for the answer.

Len90 said:
Keep in mind that 53 is not even the "oldest" tower in the fleet right now. Many of the 95' are older and there are still some 2000 75' ladders left (157 and 87). I've heard about an add on order for 8 units which would replace those 2 and 6 of the 2001 Seagrave tower ladders in service.
While the chassis maybe a 2001, the boom is from a 1973 FDNY Mack and after retirement from FDNY went on to serve with another dept. So while the hydraulics and controls may have been replaced, the boom is still 39 years old with God knows how much service time on it. I think Spartan refurbed the boom and placed it on a new chassis to use as a demo, then after 9/11 it went to FDNY on loan and then was purchased by FDNY. It was being used by L105 until it's new rig was delivered then taken out of front line service and used for driver training. It went back in service when L45 needed a rig so L53's rig went to L45 and L53 got the Spartan where it would see infrequent service on the Island most likely due to the age of the boom.

fdce54 said:
Len90 said:
While the chassis maybe a 2001, the boom is from a 1973 FDNY Mack and after retirement from FDNY went on to serve with another dept. So while the hydraulics and controls may have been replaced, the boom is still 39 years old with God knows how much service time on it. I think Spartan refurbed the boom and placed it on a new chassis to use as a demo, then after 9/11 it went to FDNY on loan and then was purchased by FDNY. It was being used by L105 until it's new rig was delivered then taken out of front line service and used for driver training. It went back in service when L45 needed a rig so L53's rig went to L45 and L53 got the Spartan where it would see infrequent service on the Island most likely due to the age of the boom.

Very true, but it seems like everything in the department goes by chassis age. Now the funny thing about 45 is they got 53's old Arielscope which was a 2000 and then later went on to receive a brand new 2006 Arielscope. Funniest thing about it is that got replaced while some 1997s went untouched until 2011.

What happened to the 2000 rig that 53 and 45 used. Is it at the BOT or serving as a spare?