6/22/2016 All Hands Queens Box 4400

Let's see now, the "Coco" joint on the corner was at one time "The White Horse" tavern and brother did they have the best dogs and kraut! The "Burger King" was a "Fisher-Beers" department store similar to a Woolworth's. My, my, how dear old Flushing has changed!
 
I remember Fisher-Beer - I seem to think that there was an entrance on Roosevelt as well as Main.  There was also a good size fruit stand as well.  On the N/E corner was the famous meeting place of the clock right by the subway entrance

Memory master - do you remember Abramsons Dept store on s/s of Main Street near 37th - 38th Avenue - probably closed in early 60's

 
efd I'm confused (which is a daily occurrence) about the s/s of Main Street. Did you mean e/s or w/s? Anyhow, Abramson's doesn't ring a bell but I do recall "Masters" dept. store on the n/w corner of Main and 37 Ave. as well as "W.T. Grant" dept. store on the e/s side of Main between 37 & 38 Aves. How about "Miller & Mack" men's store on the e/s side of Main just off Northern. It was about two stores down from "Nedicks" on the corner. During the transit strike of '65, of course we couldn't get to school, however, I could walk from 5th avenue in College Point to Woolworth's at Main & Roosevelt to buy a 45rpm record for 39 cents. Those were the days!
 
Could be,

75-4400:

E273, E274, E289, E316
L129, TL138, TL144(FAST)
B52, B46
D14
SQ288
R4
RAC4
 
efd274 said:
I remember Fisher-Beer - I seem to think that there was an entrance on Roosevelt as well as Main.  There was also a good size fruit stand as well.  On the N/E corner was the famous meeting place of the clock right by the subway entrance

Memory master - do you remember Abramsons Dept store on s/s of Main Street near 37th - 38th Avenue - probably closed in early 60's

Didn't Abramsons become Masters?

St George Episcopal Church on 39 Ave  between Fisher Beer and Abromsons.  Used to get my extensive wardrobe from Miller and Mack!!
 
kfd274 said:
efd274 said:
I remember Fisher-Beer - I seem to think that there was an entrance on Roosevelt as well as Main.  There was also a good size fruit stand as well.  On the N/E corner was the famous meeting place of the clock right by the subway entrance

Memory master - do you remember Abramsons Dept store on s/s of Main Street near 37th - 38th Avenue - probably closed in early 60's

Didn't Abramsons become Masters?

St George Episcopal Church on 39 Ave  between Fisher Beer and Abromsons.  Used to get my extensive wardrobe from Miller and Mack!!
It may well have been but all I remember was Masters.
 
St George's steeple was blown down into Main St during the tornadoes of 9-16-10..... http://forgotten-ny.com/2010/09/st-george-steeple-blown-down-by-tornado/
 
Fisher Beer may well have had doors on both streets.....many Woolworth stores in NYC traditionally were "L" shaped & had a 1st floor main entrance on one street & a separate entrance around the corner ...the same w/basement entrances for stock deliveries. 
 
You are 100% correct Chief. Fisher-Beer had doors on Main Street and on the Roosevelt Avenue side. Woolwoth had the same set-up diagonally across the street.
 
Back
Top