6/22/2021 Manhattan 10-75 Box 8204

I heard they have a couple apparatus on the island unstaffed, but one engine supposed to be staffed weekdays during the summer months I guess that's not right now then
2 Engines 2 Ladders and I Believe a Pick Up Truck are on the Island. Suppose to be 2 or 3 OT FFs and a Officer on the island during the summer on weekends *

Last edited:
OK, John, while we're dating ourselves . . . did they ride from Manhattan, or from Brooklyn? :rolleyes: :cool:;) And to date myself a little more . . . if it was Brooklyn, which one? 39th St. or 69th St?
Prior to the VNB, a 2nd (or 3rd?) alarm for the ferry terminal (in Manhattan) was transmitted for the boat ride to SI. Not only tillers, but two piece engine companies. Other option was through the tubes to Jersey City through Bayonne and across the Bayonne Bridge.

Prior to the VNB, a 2nd (or 3rd?) alarm for the ferry terminal (in Manhattan) was transmitted for the boat ride to SI. Not only tillers, but two piece engine companies. Other option was through the tubes to Jersey City through Bayonne and across the Bayonne Bridge.
I'd read that but always wondered if the 69th Street Ferry from Brooklyn was ever similarly used.
I don't recall ever reading or hearing about that.

I'd read that but always wondered if the 69th Street Ferry from Brooklyn was ever similarly used.
I don't recall ever reading or hearing about that.
Brooklyn engines were sent to Staten Island on occasion. In a 1963 example, Engine 284 moved to Engine 166. Using the 69th Street Ferry would make more sense than sending them via Manhattan or New Jersey. Pre VNB Staten Island running cards show Manhattan companies relocating to Staten Island and Brooklyn companies covering the Manhattan companies.