7/1/70 LODD

Stanley Schultz Captain Engine Company 42 Pittsburgh Bureau of Fire Killed in a flashover searching the top floor of a six alarm factory fire off East Ohio Street in the pre-dawn hours while his company was stretching a line. Buffing my last fire in the Steel City. Not Forgotten! Rest In Peace.

Entropychaser, what do you mean buffing your last Steel City fire? You moving? Giving up the chase?

I gotta laugh...It happened a half a century ago. At the time, I'd just finished college and was doing a temp job as a research engineer....and headed out of town. I used to ride with 25 Engine out of their 1896 firehouse at Penn Avenue and 34th St. Everybody in the house (with 25 Truck) was a WWII vet ( except for Jack Faas who also did time in Korea). It was a slow area in the Lawrenceville-Upper Strip District,., although when I started there, the truck (1947 Seagrave tiller) had just gotten back from the shops after having the pain burned off at a 4 alarm paint factory fire. The stories were endless (Oh yeah, I made the Wabash RR Terminal fire in1946). A lot of guys walked to work and not infrequently knew the family who lived at the box address. On that night, my guys were working. I woke up when the fire alarm office hit the 5th. I grabbed the Liberty Avenue bus . When we got to West Penn Hospital, i could see across the river. Absolutely spectacular daybreak...this 5 story factory looks like a Roman candle. I get off the bus at 31st St bridge and run across the Allegheny River. When I get there 25 truck is setting up their ladder pipe just as they are taking Captain Schultz's body out. Speechless..Unexpected. I found 25 Engine..Jack Faas gave me his turnout gear and went up to the roof of a setback and helped with the 21/2. Later, I found out the factory was a bakery making ice cream cones....and was moving to another location in the morning! Worse, earlier in the night, Captain Schultz's mother-in-law had passed away and his guys had told him to go home. Nah...I'm here....RIP!

Tempus Fugit

Psholtz, a member on this site, has provided necessary corrections to my post of this thread a year ago. I thank him. First, the correct spelling is Stanley Sholtz (the newspaper wrong, but the 1970 Pittsburgh Firefighters Yearbook correct). Secondly, it was his father-in-law, not his mother-in-law who passed away the night before (how could firehouse scuttlebutt be inaccurate?).

Regardless, Captain Stanley Sholtz of the Pittsburgh Bureau of Fire died in the line duty early on a beautiful morning fifty-one summers ago. Reside in peace.