9/11 Responses

I have heard the FDNY audio on 9/11 and I was wondering if there is a rundown of the companies that responded that day?

I could Try and give you a rundown becuase i listened to the Radio tapes very closely and heard units dispatched, but only a few with the 10-84 signal

First alarm
E10 E6 E4 E7
L10 L15 Ft L1
Battalion 1

Second alarm
E9 E 202 E 55 E 24
L8 L101 L6 ft L18
Battalion 4
I  going to need your help on this one please
And I remember division 3 officer asking about calling in a recall 

Battalion 1 sent the assignment from the gas leak at Church and Lispenard. I believe the entire 1st, 2nd, and 4th Battalions went down pretty quickly, plus quite a few special units.

Yes the companies were on the street, I beleive the Chief ordered a third alarm, according to that great French video with the members of 7/1. Only video of the start of a very, very bad day. RIP FDNY 343.

grumpy grizzly said:
Yes the companies were on the street, I beleive the Chief ordered a third alarm, according to that great French video with the members of 7/1. Only video of the start of a very, very bad day. RIP FDNY 343.
Chief Joseph Pfeifer transmitted the 2nd immediately and shortly thereafter, the 3rd while en route and was the first Battalion Chief on the scene. Meanwhile, Engine 10 transmitted the 10-60. Chief Pfeifer lost his brother, Lt. Kevin Pfeifer of Engine 33.

9/11, by Jules and Gedeon Naudet is a very moving documentary and features the only footage from inside the lobby of the Towers. I believe the full video is on YouTube. It also won an Emmy Award.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9/11_(film)

I spoke with a guy once via mail who said it would be near to impossible for a full rundown as some Co's didn't wait for the call and others didn't even get the call but went

IRISH said:
I spoke with a guy once via mail who said it would be near to impossible for a full rundown as some Co's didn't wait for the call and others didn't even get the call but went
Additionally, there were companies assigned on the 2nd and 3rd Alarms, as well as the 10-60, plus the 4th and 5th Alarms, and the 5th Alarm for Tower 2. Many companies, particularly the Special Units like the Rescues and Squads, went before they got the ticket. I believe on of the Brooklyn or Queens Squads was on their way and requested a ticket from MD.

Don't forget that it happened right around shift change, and for many companies, especially the rescues, BOTH shifts responded on the rig.

Hey folks, I am new to the board and been a big fan of this site for a long time.  Currently I am a Fire Captain in the Milwaukee Fire Department (my house has many high-rise buildings in its 1st and 2nd due area).  Like everyone else here, I too am interested in the 09-11 response (from both an operational and historical perspective).  For the last 8 years I have been compiling a rundown after reviewing the NIST reports, Manhattan and Brooklyn dispatch tapes, as well as numerous books, trade magazine articles, forum discussions, etc.  The compilation is 24 pages with notes as necessary and I also included the 1993 bombing rundown.  The rundown is probably not 100% correct, but its what I have interpreted from my own research.  If anyone is interested in this Word attachment, they are more than welcome to it.  Please send me an email.  As we approach the 12th anniversary of this solemn event, may we Never Forget. 

Number one case I heard of the soc units rescue five was relocated to rescue one but rescue five went to the trade center rip brothers 

Nobody will ever be able to compile a complete CORRECT rundown...  the attemted one above is incorrect LAD*8 was the LAD at the gas leak w/BN*1 & responded on the Verbal not the Second many , many Units had similar responses  ......plus there was an  untold number of FDNY Members (from Units that actually may or may not have been assigned that day) who responded in their own vehicles.......CONTINUED RIP TO ALL...NEVER FORGET ! ...NEVER FORGIVE !

For 2 World Trade Center Manhattan Box 9998 I Got Car 9 (AC Stephen Gregory) Engine 211 Ladder 11 Engine 44 Engine 22 Engine 53 Engine 40 Battalion 10 Battalion 12 Ladder 16 Ladder 2 Ladder 13 Engine 221 Engine 23 Engine 209 Engine 212 Engine 279 Engine 230 Engine 229 Engine 216 Engine 217 Engine 214 Ladder 12 Ladder 118 Ladder 7 High Rise 1 Battalion 7 Ladder 24 Battalion 11 and Division 3, Battalion 6, HazMat 1 and Squad 1 Also Came To Tower Two

Charging in 113 said:
First alarm
E10 E6 E4 E7
L10 L15 Ft L1
Battalion 1

Second alarm
E9 E 202 E 55 E 24
L8 L101 L6 ft L18
Battalion 4
I  going to need your help on this one please
And I remember division 3 officer asking about calling in a recall

He Indeed Did Ask About The Recall And The Citywide Tour Commander Called ItIn

BCR

I was listening to the tape not long ago I rember hearing manhattan dispatch saying when the first collapse happened that there were three 5 alarms transmitted and a second alarm transmitted. Rescue 1-4 were ordered to the first tower that got hit and rescue 5 was to relocate to rescue 1 however when the second plane hit they responded into the second tower, marine company's 1,6,9 responded on there own but did notify manhattan dispatch, there were a lot of units that responded in on there own with out being dispatched or a ticket punched for them, it was not uncommon to have as many as 10-12 guys respond on a rig due to shift change which left lots of members without handi talkies, hazmat 1 was there, colapse rescue 3 which was rescue 3's second piece, the only colapse rescue in the city was there. I believe most if not all the squads ended up there. Some units were forced to walk in to the scence leaving there driver with the rig do to being stuck in grid lock traffic in some locations, some rigs plowed cars out of the road to get as close as they could to the staging areas.Many off duty members reported there directly due to not many members being familiar with recall due to them not having a deffinitive recall procedure and not having a recall in years and there was never a total recall issued before in the history of the fdny. There were also retired firefighters, officers and chiefs that showed up to the scene to help out how they could. There were many company's relocated into manhattan to cover houses who responded on there own when the collapses happened. Some company's checked in at the command post and others went right up into the buildings.  There was also mutual aide that responded after the collapses from New York and New Jersey that was both requested and also responded on there own. This is what contributed to them having trouble with roll call because they really didn't know who was on scene and with the command post in the lobbies and field comm being destroyed lots of info was lost including riding list.  Many companys were never acknowledged as arriving or responding due to all the radio traffic. God bless the 343 and the members that have become sick and passed since that day due to what they were exposed to that horrific day.

FDNY responded in the greatest tradition of the department. This was a situation that NO computer can ever duplicate. E-xxx relocate, TL to the fire, TL cover TLXX LXX to L XX quarters, utter chaos. E XXX and E XXX respond to the fifth , E XX relocate to E XXX. We will never, ever know who went where and when!!

BCR in your reply # 17 above you state "there was never a total recall issued before in the history of the FDNY".....i do not think that is correct....prior to the beginning of the '70s before OT was paid for additional hrs or time spent working after the end of a regular tour  recalls were often called for snow storms hurricanes etc...when the almighty $ came into  play the City seriously cut back on calling them...... the last total recall was the '77 Blackout the rest after that were partial recalls of certain group #s or holdovers of certain groups going off.....during the '06 Blackout bloombag went on news radio stations several times that evening & stated that "ALL FDNY & NYPD were recalled "...i do not know about NYPD but the FDNY issued no recall from home at all for this.....some who did hear the news report & were unable to verify it did show up at work though.