R-4
Sq-270
D-13
Rac-4
CTU

B-50 All Hands

6370FF65-E98C-455D-862D-38CE1FD7A1AF.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm just curious, from the guys who were or still on the job. Heavy volume of fire like this on the top floor of a 3 story MD. Is the first line still an 1.75"? I'm definitely not saying either is wrong, just wondering what the SOP says.

I'm just curious, from the guys who were or still on the job. Heavy volume of fire like this on the top floor of a 3 story MD. Is the first line still an 1.75"? I'm definitely not saying either is wrong, just wondering what the SOP says.
Yes the first line is an 1 3/4. You want to get water on the fire quickly, this line is much easier to move around especially with most companies understaffed. You will be amazed at how much fire that line will put out with a good nozzle man and back up crew

Advanced fire on arrival, fire out 2 windows. You don't know by looking if there may be front and rear apartments until you count mailboxes in the lobby. First line is always what the officer calls for. In this case, it's a short stretch, even for a four-man engine. You can't go wrong in this case with a 2 1/2" line. I'd rather have near 200 GPM than 125 any day. Volume puts the fire out faster than pressure and speed.

1 3/4 whether 15/16 0r 7/8 still much closer to 180/200 GPM at 50 LBS NP. Plenty of water

This box 5013 107 Ave & Guy Brewer Blvd (old NY Blvd) provided some Fires for some FFs to cut their eye teeth on before & while i was CPT of 275 & later when I was the CPT of 126
(& it looks like still today )....I remember one of many job's on this block in a Bodega late after closing in the mid '90s.... we arrived alone (no 133 yet) heavy Fire in the ground fl Bodega the front windows had failed & there was a stink of burning plexiglass from the interior counter barriers (back then very thick for robbery prevention rather than covid)..we were standing on the yellow line in the middle of Guy Brewer waiting for water ....we heard some pop..pop..& my Nozzleman Pete S. said Cap look & he had a bullet that had lodged in the Reflexite Stripe on the chest of his Janesville Rubber Coat ..... they had some ammunition behind the counter that was cooking off but luckily without much velocity since it did not come out of a barrel ).

Last edited:
As far as the Line/Nozzle discussion earlier above not disputing anybody's choices but I do favor 1 3/4 ....when we organized SQ*41 in 1990 we incorporated the "Ghetto Blaster" whose origin came from Nick Visconti when he was the CPT of ENG*48....Our first CPT in SQ*41 John Keenan & FF Kevin McCauley were big proponents of it as they had both used it many times in ENG*37....it was a 15/16th bored out by a machinist to an 1 1/8 with an old time 8 inch brass pipe as the tip & then fitted with a pistol grip ( the trick to get the full effect the pistol grip interior also had to be bored out)...in SQ*41 we had our Primary Bed Nozzle set up as such .... I remember heavy Fire blowing out the front door of a Brownstone Hallway & opening the line from the curb & the stream hitting the back hallway door/wall with little effort.

Last edited:
Funny story with the Ghetto Blaster in SQ*41 ...if we were not 1st Due ENG the Nozzle Man would detach It from our Primary Bed & bring it with him to the scene in case we were to stretch another Line...when we were first organized we were not exactly welcomed by some of the surrounding Units.... one run we were at a local Box 2nd Due & Kevin Mc had the Nozzle (& as per our SOP brought the Blaster & some LARGE clown in the 2nd Due Truck said to him (WTF is that a Halligan) as the whole thing with the 8"Tip ..the Nozzle & the Pistol Grip was somewhat long.)..Kevin about 5 Ft never missed a step & said "No asshole this is called a NOZZLE.

Saw this in a documentary after reading here about the “ghetto blaster”. Is this the ghetto blaster in the picture?
E08262AF-E041-47BB-8DB5-111CF61BC4D7.jpeg
As far as the Line/Nozzle discussion earlier above not disputing anybody's choices but I do favor 1 3/4 ....when we organized SQ*41 in 1990 we incorporated the "Ghetto Blaster" whose origin came from Nick Visconti when he was the CPT of ENG*48....Our first CPT in SQ*41 John Keenan & FF Kevin McCauley were big proponents of it as they had both used it many times in ENG*37....it was a 15/16th bored out by a machinist to an 1 1/8 with an old time 8 inch brass pipe as the tip & then fitted with a pistol grip ( the trick to get the full effect the pistol grip interior also had to be bored out)...in SQ*41 we had our Primary Bed Nozzle set up as such .... I remember heavy Fire blowing out the front door of a Brownstone Hallway & opening the line from the curb & the stream hitting the back hallway door/wall with little effort.