9/27/26 Queens 3rd Alarm Box 9360

Please understand that I may not be a chief, but I have the highest respect for chiefs that do an amazing and tough job controlling many members at often complex and often dangerous fires. I have been a firefighter as I said for over 52 years, 30 years of which were in busy FDNY units. I was trying to make a statement about fires in general not a particular fire. I have sadly seen incidents outside NYC where a well-intentioned Chief has neglected to provide FAST/RIT team protection because he "Ran out of companies." and the fire was spreading.
I was a FDNY Buff years ago, in 1960's when Manhattan Box 598 was transmitted for a fire in Wonder Drugs on w. 23 St. near Broadway. I was standing on W. 23 St. when the 1st floor collapsed into a raging fire in a hidden cellar area, sadly killing 12 firemen. This is why I am so sensitive about the need for FAST/RIT teams. No one could have saved those 12 firemen. A FAST Team can truly and does save Firefighters Lives both in the FDNY and anyplace else. Not all Firefighter lives can be saved but let's give our brothers and sisters the best chance, that brothers is my point. I truly meant no harm to anyone.
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired.
 
Back
Top