Aerials Over 100 Feet ??

A while ago I saw some discussion somewhere about FDNY testing an aerial greater than 100 feet as they were thinking about how to handle a fire at St. Patrick's Cathedral after the fire at Notre Dame in Paris. Anyone know if this discussion/ planning is still active or has the concept been shelved ?

135ft E-One, 4th photo down

http://taylorfire.tripod.com/new_page_4.htm

95' platform and 135' aerial ladder are introduced.
In 1982, E-ONE introduced two new models in its highly acclaimed aerial series, the 95' platform and the 135' aerial ladder. These trucks further catered to firefighters' needs and gave E-ONE's aerials more capabilities than ever before.

Last edited:
CFD Aerial Tower 8. 135' rear mount E-One aerial with a pre-piped waterway. Saw on another site that the apparatus struck a viaduct causing major damage to the ladder. Might have to go back to Ocala for replacement of the aerial device.

When Capt. Vigiano was appointed to 176 it came up for discussion of obtaining a 125 Foot Rear mount. I argued 90% of our buildings are 3-5 stories so 125 foot wouldn't be better for us. The other side of the coin was that with the 125 footer all tormentors would have to be deployed when extending the aerial. The 100 footers we previously had only needed tormentors extended on the building side when using aerial ladder. So the other argument was that 100 footer was quicker to get into operation saving precious time in occupied buildings. Fortunately I won out and we settled on a 100 footer.
1 day we relocated to L 20 and we caught a job on the top floor of a 5 story loft. I set up aerial and had it fully extended to reach the 5th floor. Seeing this operation I could see where the 125 footer would be better in Manhattan.
By the way John was appointed to 176 in June 1990 when we were in the new house with 233 and CADO.

When Capt. Vigiano was appointed to 176 it came up for discussion of obtaining a 125 Foot Rear mount. I argued 90% of our buildings are 3-5 stories so 125 foot wouldn't be better for us. The other side of the coin was that with the 125 footer all tormentors would have to be deployed when extending the aerial. The 100 footers we previously had only needed tormentors extended on the building side when using aerial ladder. So the other argument was that 100 footer was quicker to get into operation saving precious time in occupied buildings. Fortunately I won out and we settled on a 100 footer.
1 day we relocated to L 20 and we caught a job on the top floor of a 5 story loft. I set up aerial and had it fully extended to reach the 5th floor. Seeing this operation I could see where the 125 footer would be better in Manhattan.
By the way John was appointed to 176 in June 1990 when we were in the new house with 233 and CADO.
What make would they have been?

As far as I knew it was to be a Seagrave who was making the 100 Footers at the time.

I remember talking to some guys in midtown when they had the two high ladder units. They wondered who was going to climb up and operate at the very top. Seems to be an expensive toy. Below 100', overbuilt....above 135', useless.