After the Fire Podcast Fathers Day Fire Part 1


Well-known member
May 6, 2010
I recd this from a friend RET FF Wally B. LAD*174...............QUOTE...Today marks a very difficult day in the History of the FDNY.

20 Years ago on Father’s day we lost Three members and numerous other members suffered near life threatening injuries at what is referred to as The Father’s Day Fire.

Today marks the 20th Anniversary of this Tragic Day, there will be a Wreath Laying Ceremony at the site, Astoria Blvd. and 14thth street followed by a Mass at Saint Sebastian’s Church in Woodside, 58-02 Roosevelt Ave.

The loss of these Three Men was tragic indeed, the fact that we lost Three Members on Father’s Day seemed unfathomable at the time and it was.

Moving forward Four months an even worse scenario was spelling out throughout the Country but for the FDNY/NYPD lower Manhattan was of concern. I bring this up because something that has been of concern to me was that 9-11 overshadowed the tragic events on Father’s Day understandably but we must not ever forget how tragic June 17th 2001 was for these families and the members of the Companies as well as the FDNY that suffered from the loss on that day.

Please consider showing your support to these families today by stopping by the site or attending the Mass and let them know that we NEVER FORGOT THEM.

As Always, Thank You to Everyone on this chain. Wally ........UNQUOTE.


Active member
Jun 21, 2011
Hello 68JK The plaque at the site was taken down Due to New Construction. I have been trying with Zero Success to contact Costa Costandinedes ( DIST 22 ) and Jimmy Van Bramer ( DIST 26 ) to Discuss a Permanent Memorial with no Luck. Guess they are just not interested. Both of my Appointments were cancelled also , so I guess its a touchy subject for them. I'm going to keep at it as this needs a reply.


Well-known member
Mar 3, 2007
Continued Rest in Peace to Harry Ford, Brian Fahey and John Downing. Continued thoughts and prayers for their families at home and on the job..


Well-known member
May 6, 2010
Father’s Day
By the late Andrew A. Fredericks, Lieutenant
Fire Department of New York

On Sunday, June 17, 2001, a fire occurred in a hardware store in the Astoria section of the
Borough of Queens, New York. The FDNY was notified and responded with a full first-alarm
assignment, including Rescue Co. 4, which was returning from a box in Manhattan. As the
first alarm companies went about their assigned tasks, an explosion took place that caused
a massive collapse and severe injuries to scores of firefighters. Three firefighters were trapped
beneath tons of bricks that had once been the exposure two side wall of the fire building and a
third who was blown down the interior stairs leading to the cellar. After the explosion, the fire
rapidly escalated from a second to a fifth alarm; and eventually some 350 firefighters converged
on the scene, including all five rescue companies and seven squad companies.

This account represents my recollections of the event, as well as the feelings and emotions I
experienced during the operations to locate the trapped firefighters. It is not in any way meant
as a critique of the incident or even necessarily represents an accurate description of the events
as they unfolded. I have found that by talking about the incident, I can better cope with what
happened. Since writing is a passion of mine, I thought that by writing about it and sharing those
thoughts with other firefighters, the grief might become somewhat easier to bear.

The investigation into the cause of the fire and explosion is ongoing and new facts come to light
each day. A recent theory is that a combination of smoke and flammable vapors/gases escaping
from failed containers of paint, lacquer, and propane stored in the cellar triggered what might be
described as a “super” backdraft – a backdraft explosion with enough power to lift a two-story,
30-foot by 60-foot building of ordinary construction off the ground and blow out a side wall causing
the collapse of the second floor and roof.

I wasn’t scheduled to work until Father’s Day night, but because I had to drive some 235 miles
to the New York State Fire Academy early the next morning, I switched my night tour with a
firefighter who wanted the day off. The morning was bleak and rainy, but sunshine was predicted
for later in the day.

We had a covering lieutenant working in place of our regular officer. Like me, he was a native
New Yorker who had been a firefighter in Alexandria, Virginia, before being appointed to the FDNY.
Our chauffeur was a twenty-year veteran who worked in 43 Truck in Spanish Harlem before coming to
Squad 18. The “can” man was out of “one-hundred and eight” truck in Willamsburg, Brooklyn, and the
forcible-entry or “irons” man was from 12 Truck in the Chelsea section of Manhattan. I was assigned
the “hook” and a detailed firefighter from Engine Company 325 in Queens was given the roof position.
The nine-hour day tour started out no differently than most – committee work (extra effort was given
to the stove and refrigerator since it was Sunday), some good natured joking, and a discussion over
what to prepare for lunch.

Kitchen duties were soon interrupted by an alarm, which turned out to be false, followed shortly
thereafter by a report of smoke that turned out to be steam. While returning to quarters from the
steam leak, we were directed to respond to a store fire on 16th Street near Fifth Avenue. We
operated at the small “all hands” fire for about 40 minutes, assisting with forcible entry and
performing searches of the store, cellar, and sub-cellar. After being ordered by the chief to
“take up,” we left the scene and had traveled no more than a couple of blocks before we came
across a woman lying on the sidewalk. We administered first aid and shielded her from the now
heavy rain using two borrowed umbrellas. Once she was stabilized, we moved her into the
vestibule of a nearby apartment building and awaited EMS. An ambulance soon arrived, and
we went back in service.

Since the morning was so hectic, we decided to pick up sandwiches for lunch. The Mets and
Yankees were playing later at Shea, and everyone was hoping the rain would soon stop. We
finished lunch around 2:00 and settled in to relax a little bit. The quiet didn’t last very long. At
about 14:50 hours the voice alarm sprang to life and the dispatcher announced a second alarm
in Queens for a fire in a two-story “taxpayer.” A second alarm is hardly unusual, but within minutes
this second alarm escalated to a fifth. We switched our kitchen scanner to the Queens fire frequency
and the urgency in the voices of the chief’s aides indicated something unusual, something tragic,
had happened. With little time to consider the possibilities, the teleprinter in the housewatch spit out
our response ticket to box 55-7512 – 12-22 Astoria Boulevard between 12 Street and 28 Avenue.
It was 15:26 hours, and Squad 18 was on its way to Queens.

Due to our chauffeur’s knowledge of the area and relatively light traffic, we made it from lower
Manhattan to Astoria in eleven minutes. We parked a block away, collected our firefighting hand
tools, and walked up the street toward the fire building. The sight that greeted us could only be
described as surreal. Firefighters from Squad 288 and several other companies were sprawled
out on the sidewalk with EMS personnel frantically trying to keep up with triage. The exposure-two
side of the fire building was ahead of us – the wall blown out into the street with the second floor
and roof hanging down in a supported lean-to fashion. Debris littered the street, and smoke poured
from every opening in the collapsed building.

I walked up to the command post, and the first person I recognized was a captain who is currently
the fire commissioner’s executive officer. I asked him, “Ray, what’s going on? Do we have members
missing?” He nodded yes. I left the command post and walked around the front of Ladder Company
116’s apparatus, which was parked on the exposure-two side of the fire building. I couldn’t raise my
officer by radio, and in the sea of smoke and firefighters, I recognized no one from Squad 18. I
noticed many of the firefighters digging through the collapsed brick wall that lay on the sidewalk,
so I threw my forcible entry tools into a freezer box lying at the curb and started moving bricks.
Seemingly not more than a minute or two had gone by and a firefighter only a few feet from me
shouted: “I got one!” About two-dozen firefighters and officers,myself included, began frantically
grasping at bricks and debris. The SCBA on my back was a hindrance and made it difficult to
balance on the rubble pile. I was finally able to hand it to the lieutenant working in Hazardous
Materials Co. 1, with whom I worked in Squad 18 before he was promoted. They had just
concluded an operation nearby and when the alarm for the hardware store came in, they
responded and assisted with forcible entry.

Paint cans kept exploding and two members of Squad 18 grabbed a 2½-inch line to drive
the fire away from our position. The work was physical and frustrating, and I remember
thinking how bad the smoke was, and I wished I could quit digging. I pushed the notion
of quitting into my subconscious and kept working. Several minutes went by, and the
first firefighter was pulled from the rubble. Dust was caked in his bloodied hair, and I
couldn’t make out his face.

The second firefighter was discovered next to the first. I recall the veteran lieutenant
from Rescue 2 yelling at me, “Andy, you’re on his legs!” A firefighter from Rescue 2
was standing on debris above the trapped firefighter’s head. We moved and continued
to claw at the rubble. It was difficult finding a place to toss the bricks without interfering
with some other part of the rescue effort. Tempers grew short. In addition to bricks, the
contents of the store were scattered all over. I remember fighting with mop handles and
perforated particleboard partitions used to display hardware sundries. A reciprocating
saw was brought in to cut away some wood entangling the trapped firefighter’s feet.
With Herculean effort, the second firefighter was pulled free and dragged onto a
backboard. I helped move him onto a stretcher. He was quickly wheeled away by
other firefighters and EMS personnel. I soon found out that one of the firefighters
was Harry Ford, the senior man in Rescue 4. I learned later that the other firefighter was
John Downing from Ladder 163, who was working his last tour before leaving on vacation
with his wife and kids to visit relatives in Ireland.

With the two firefighters removed, we were ordered to enter the cellar of exposure 4A
and assist as needed. I immediately relieved a firefighter operating a pavement breaker
being used to breach the cellar wall. I used the tool for only a short time before we were
told to reposition and start another breach closer to the front of the building. I set up the
tool and began to operate, but after only a minute or two trying to penetrate the brick and
stone wall, I physically “died.” Holding the tool horizontally, even with help the help of my
officer and roof man, was like trying to lift up the back end of car. I just couldn’t do it. A
suggestion was made to try and secure the tool with nylon webbing slung over a joist
supporting the first floor. My lieutenant told me to go up to the first floor and size up this
possibility. I was relieved – I had never felt so exhausted and this assignment gave me a
chance to catch my breath.

Once inside the first-floor apartment, I helped move some furniture so Ladder 115’s roof
man could cut the floor and expose the joists. After this assignment was completed, I
desperately needed some water, so I headed outside and met the forcible entry firefighter
from Squad 18 who was just as tired as I was. At some point I learned that the firefighter
trapped in the cellar was Brian Fahey from Rescue 4. I had gotten to know Brian over the
past three years, and I was stunned. We soon joined the other members of Squad 18 in a
storefront church on the first floor of exposure 4B to rest and regroup. The “can” man let
me use his cell phone so I could call my wife. I noticed the sun was shining; it had become
a beautiful day.

After this short break, we went back to work. Members of Squad 1 had courageously
entered the store cellar through one of the breached openings, but were ordered to withdraw
due to heavy fire conditions and three feet of accumulated water. We assisted in breaching
the sidewalk in front of the fire building in an effort to reach the cellar. The “can” man, “irons”
man, and chauffeur relieved members of Rescue 5, who were using pavement breakers. The
roof man and I helped pass chunks of concrete out from the work area in bucket brigade fashion.
Simultaneously, attempts were being made to reach the interior stairs to the cellar. At one point,
Squad 252 used a 2½-inch handline to push the fire back within the heavily damaged store while
Rescue 3 entered the cellar. While this was going on, the “can” firefighter suggested we search
what was left of an aisle filled with plumbing supplies in the off chance Brian was still on the first
floor. The roof man and I joined him, and while moving shelving and digging through debris, a
member of Rescue 3 reported he had located Brian in the cellar. It was approximately 18:00 hours.

At about 18:30 hours, his body was removed from the fire building by the off-duty members of
Rescue 4 who had assembled at the scene. Except for the firefighters carrying Brian, everyone
removed their helmets as a mark of respect. I had often studied photographs of the 23rd Street
collapse, which took the lives of twelve firefighters and officers – five from Engine Company 18
(now Squad 18) in 1966 – but never imagined that I would someday be part of such a grim scene.

By this point, I had no more emotions left. Emptiness is the only way to describe the way I felt.
The night tour arrived to relieve us, and they set about the task of finding several tools we had
lost during the operation. I finally made it home to eat leftovers at about 10 p.m. I kissed my kids
and hugged them and watched the news and cried. I think every New York City firefighter calls home
more often now and hugs his kids a little tighter when he gets home safely from work.

Thankfully, the most seriously injured members – Lt. Joe Vosilla from Ladder 116 and Lt. Brendan
Manning from Ladder 163 are doing better. Many other members remain on medical leave, and some
have additional surgeries and extensive rehabilitation ahead. In a touch of cruel irony, the firefighter
detailed to Squad 18 for the day was assigned to the same firehouse as John Downing and helped
free him from the rubble. I recently saw a tape of the ABC News “Nightline” segment that dealt with
the fire. Despite being at the scene and watching news footage in the days following the explosion,
I was astonished at the devastation. That more members weren’t killed can be attributed only to the
grace of God. The two kids who admitted they spilled the gasoline that ran into the cellar and was
ignited by a pilot light starting the original fire were not charged.

I know I’ve left out numerous details, but many of these are not important. Since the incident, I’ve
often felt a sense of failure that accompanies the sadness. I know it’s quite normal to have doubts
in a situation such as this, but that knowledge doesn’t seem to make the doubting and second-guessing
any easier to deal with. In closing, I ask that you pray for the widows and especially the eight children
left behind.

Rest In Peace Andy


Well-known member
May 6, 2010
In regard to the Plaque at the site it was only brought there yesterday for the Ceremony & is being held safely until the new structure is completed & it is planned that it will be set into bldg.


Active member
Jun 21, 2011
Thanks 68JK So the plaque is done and will be fitted once completed. I Can now leave these council members be. Much Appreciated.