Alarm Boxes, is it time to get rid of them??

Testimony from 2 experts.....von assen & guili.....expert A-WIPES........what does he  mean when he says  "a deal should have been made".....is that the way they do business ?

68jk09 said:
Testimony from 2 experts.....von assen & guili.....expert A-WIPES........what does he  mean when he says  "a deal should have been made".....is that the way they do business ?
Chief, I know you didn't have to ask. "A deal"...you, me and every other person here knows that is the only way those two fake, phony fraud, puke, brown nosing mutts operate.

memory master said:
68jk09 said:
Chief, I know you didn't have to ask. "A deal"...you, me and every other person here knows that is the only way those two fake, phony fraud, puke, brown nosing mutts operate.
I second that! ;)

I work for a delivery company, I have a company-paid cell phone. Several months ago there was an accounting problem, (the provider had problems, the bill was paid).  Cell phone was useless, imagine that in NY. By the way Chicago has few, if any, street boxes and I do not know what Boston has does, but when they dispatch you on a still they give a box numer and a location, maybe it is hooked up to the computer system. But if you lose cell phone use, well put your head between your legs and kiss your ass good-bye, no one will hear you scream!You need a redundant system, why do aircraft have seperate hydraulics systems seperate from each other. Unfortunately it took that crash in Iowa to drive home the point. USAF F-105's who flew the most dangerous missions, and really paid the price, had seperate systems. GG

I don't believe Chicago has any more boxes. Boston still does, and they all face into the street. Meaning, to activate it, you have to step into the street to do so. Boston still uses Box numbers and bells, as well.

mack

Administrator
SanFransisco still uses fire alarm boxes.  http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Why-S-F-still-counts-on-street-fire-alarm-boxes-3081293.php

Boston still uses fire alarm boxes.  BFD responds an engine and truck to these "central station alarms".  http://forgotten-boston.com/publicsafety/firealarms/alarms.html

In addition to those who are deaf, fire alarm boxes provide a source of help to those without operating or charged cell phones.  They provide a system to get help when there is a major power loss. They are also still a source for legitimate calls for help.  If 88% of NYC alarm boxes pulled are false alarms, 12% are still a lot of emergencies that might go unanswered if the boxes were not there.   

The biggest things that come to mind is that the pull box system was not effected on 9/11 and dispite the occasional false alarms the UCT can't foul this one up.

I think the more we rely on new technology the greater the probabity of a problem. HMS Titanic ""unsinkable", well 1500 souls woud disagree. Spave Shuttle missions, 14 brave souls paid the ultimate price due to arrogance. WE ARE NOT THAT SMART!!!!!!!

One more thing, every person understands their situation. Ask my wife, always looking for the first or second exit. I have been married to JoAnne (yes with an E it was supposed to be a second name as  Eileen). All guys on the job I know always look for the exits. Thanx for BFD boxes if you visit, need help, pull the hook, we will be there. Never heard on radio no one available, BFD always seem to find a company.

It seems like the current focus is on people who are visually or hearing impaired..... however solving their problem with whatever tve is suggesting (next generation phones etc) does nothing for them or anybody else when they escape from a burning house at 4 am w/only whatever clothes they have on their back & go to the corner & pull a box.....will it work ....will anybody respond ? ....if they go to a strangers house & bang on the door what will happen ?......no cell phone service yet has been able to stay on line 24/7 under ALL circumstances.....9-11 ...the tornadoes...the earthquake (that was not even close to here) as well as many large scale gatherings such as NYPD Officer Peter Figoski's LOD Funeral last Dec all resulted in cell phone service crashing.....instead of neglecting to fix the present boxes both ERS & BARS which are OOS the focus should be on repairing/maintaining the existing one's & replacing the ones removed by the piss ant guiliani years ago........also former mayors & f c s should confine their fantasmagoria & pontificating to whatever spot in eastbubbaland they have wound up in.

http://nworeport.wordpress.com/2012/07/01/cell-phone-service-crashes-in-dc-area/

Verizon says Friday night?s storms also wreaked havoc on their system ? knocking out landline service for many customers.

?However, due to extensive commercial power outages across the entire region, our crews have had to deal with a number of technical and mechanical challenges, in addition to storm damage such as downed poles and trees on our wires,? writes Verizon spokesman Harry Mitchell.

A power issue at a facility in Arlington has also caused many issues, including problems with 911 service in Northern Virginia.

Verizon says their crews are working around the clock to fix the problem.

In addition, many Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile customers say they are having issues with phone service.

AT&T technicians are ?mobilized and currently working to resolve the issues,? according to a company release.

?Due to damaging storms that have knocked out power across the Midwest and Northeast regions of the country, some AT&T customers in impacted areas in Virginia and Washington D.C. may be experiencing issues with wireless service,? the company says.

Cable TV and internet service in the area is also experiencing problems.

Read more: http://fdnyrant.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=theend&action=display&thread=10969&page=2#ixzz1zUo2f8Ns

http://nworeport.wordpress.com/2012/07/01/cell-phone-service-crashes-in-dc-area/

Verizon says Friday night?s storms also wreaked havoc on their system ? knocking out landline service for many customers.

?However, due to extensive commercial power outages across the entire region, our crews have had to deal with a number of technical and mechanical challenges, in addition to storm damage such as downed poles and trees on our wires,? writes Verizon spokesman Harry Mitchell.

A power issue at a facility in Arlington has also caused many issues, including problems with 911 service in Northern Virginia.

Verizon says their crews are working around the clock to fix the problem.

In addition, many Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile customers say they are having issues with phone service.

AT&T technicians are ?mobilized and currently working to resolve the issues,? according to a company release.

?Due to damaging storms that have knocked out power across the Midwest and Northeast regions of the country, some AT&T customers in impacted areas in Virginia and Washington D.C. may be experiencing issues with wireless service,? the company says.

Cable TV and internet service in the area is also experiencing problems.

http://queens.ny1.com/content/ny1_living/technology/172632/new-touchscreens-at-phone-booths-to-help-nyers-in-emergencies/?ap=1&MP4      ..... HEY mike...NOW THERE ARE TOUCH SCREENS IN PHONE BOOTHS FOR AN EMERGENCY ?.....WELL I DO NOT HAVE ANY IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD IN NORTH QUEENS ......WHAT I DO HAVE ARE "PULL BOXES" STILL OOS SINCE THE TORNADOES ON 9-16-10......& GUESS WHAT ? ...MOST RESIDENTS DO NOT KNOW THEY DO NOT WORK SINCE ALMOST ALL OF THE OOS SIGNS ARE LONG GONE......KEEP ROLLING THE DICE UNTIL SOME PERSON ESCAPES FROM A HOUSE FIRE AT 4 AM & RUNS TO AN OOS BOX & NO ONE COMES IN TIME TO HELP THE REST OF THEIR FAMILY .

@68jk09  Chief I have a question that is on the topic of pull boxes and call stations but not part of this argument. If there were pull boxes in the areas that experience flooding and if one pull box was submerged would it compromise other pull boxes?

stretch said:
@68jk09  Chief I have a question that is on the topic of pull boxes and call stations but not part of this argument. If there were pull boxes in the areas that experience flooding and if one pull box was submerged would it compromise other pull boxes?

Stretch, a complicated question because there are alot of things to be considered.The answer off the top of my head would be yes. The small terminal box in the base of the alarm box feeds the mechanical part on the top known as the Pull Handle.The wires in the terminal box can be compromised in many ways and water is one,therefore if the cover on the terminal box is not completely tight,water seeps in and conducts the circuits throughout the entire terminal box.There are usually more than one circuit involved also depending on the size of the TBox,they come in 12W,16W,24W,48W and 64W sizes.The salt water from the Bay and or Ocean would also corrode the the cables feeding the TBox.  A nightmare to be sure, hope this helps.  MY answer is a definate YES

Thanks JOR! That was what I had thought. Someplace I run across how the pull boxes were wired, perhaps on a Gamewell site. I thought I had read that if one box is shorted out than all on that circuit or loop would be out. It was a year or more ago.