ambulance numbers

I thought ambulances would be numbered in a logical way. ( Thought Fire also but discovered they're not, plse correct me if I'm wrong )

Found a sheet :
> http://www.fdnyems.com/EMS%20Unit%20Location%20Charts.pdf  <
and learned that a BLS has a number and a 'low' letter like A(dam) , B(oy) etc. and an ALS a number with a 'higher' letter like R to Z.

The numbers seem to be random to me. Is that correct or am I mistaking ?

The numbers roughly correspond to the FD Battalion the unit is located at (i.e. 12A is in the EMS 10th Battalion but is usually located at E116th St, which is the FDNY 12th Battalion's area)

Thanks Catry,
This makes sense.

I compared both EMS and FIRE units location lists and wondered if there are firehouses with both FIRE and EMS units.
Could you tell me?

E168 in Staten Island, a firehouse in the Rockaways. not sure of the others if any.

The new Rescue 3 Firehouse has an EMS Station (18) right next door on Washington Ave in the Bronx.

E168 / EMS 22
E265 / EMS 47
Rescue 3 / EMS 18 (technically not the same house but close enough!)

guitarman314 said:
What about E68/L49 house that has an EMS bay on the exp. 2 side? ???

Yes, G-man, I knew there was more in the Bronx. I just couldn't think of it. I think that is EMS Station 17. And the old Tin House on Boston Rd formerly Eng 85, Lad 59s quarters is EMS Station 26. I think the old 75/33 qtrs has an EMS Station too. But that's getting away from the orginal question.

nfd2004 said:
But that's getting away from the orginal question.

No problem. I was just wondering since I've been watching TV series Third Watch. I thought it was just for a nice TV show,
but now I know it's not just fantasy. ;D

As stated, the numbers correspond with what fire battalion the ambulance's 89 (cross-street location; or home area) is.  The higher the number, the further away the unit sits from its home battalion (station).  The number system was adopted from the PD.  Early on after the merger....they experimented with a number system that mimicked that of other cities...i.e. AmbulanceXX    but that caused lots of confusion and would have meant an overhaul of the communications system.

LosBomberos2811 said:
As stated, the numbers correspond with what fire battalion the ambulance's 89 (cross-street location; or home area) is.  The higher the number, the further away the unit sits from its home battalion (station).  The number system was adopted from the PD.  Early on after the merger....they experimented with a number system that mimicked that of other cities...i.e. AmbulanceXX    but that caused lots of confusion and would have meant an overhaul of the communications system.

The old Health and Hospitals Corporation EMS mimicked the N.Y.P.D. because the director and the deputy director of EMS were both former N.Y.P.D. personnel. Back in those days, ambulance dispatch and response times were as poor as those of the police department. Ambulances freelanced and would pick and choose what calls they felt like handling. Often ambulances would disappear after doing a call and not report back in service for extended periods of time.  Numerous ambulances would 'jump calls' that sounded exciting or newsworthy leaving lot's of calls unanswered for extended periods of time. Generally from a half hour to an hour before and after the change of tours, it was virtually impossible to get an ambulance as units would not call back in service after their last call and the crews coming on duty for the next shift would not call in service as soon as they manned their ambulance. Due to frequently being informed that "EMS reports no ETA", critically ill and injured people were often secured to a backboard, placed in a stokes basket and transported to the closest hospital on fire apparatus.  Today, as part of F.D.N.Y., EMS seems to have far better accountability, far better response times and no longer is it common to hear the dispatcher telling a fire company that "EMS reports no ETA". The N.Y.P.D. on the other hand, to this day still will not provide an ETA.

Catry answered Peteys question. As far as E-68 is concerned, EMS is not quartered with them. They are based a few blocks down Ogden Avenue in what I believe is 68's old house.

FDNY150 said:
Catry answered Peteys question. As far as E-68 is concerned, EMS is not quartered with them. They are based a few blocks down Ogden Avenue in what I believe is 68's old house.
Did EMS ever occupy that spot?  ??? I remember when the foirehouse was built they had that side bay lettered for an EMS Ambulance.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Engine 68 did have EMS in the side bay on 167th street.  There was no connection on the inside between them, and most of the time ems just used it to park there cars in it while out running around.

Today the bay is now part of the firehouse.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
EMS Stations are in the following (former/current) fire houses:
BRONX
Station 15 - Engine 63 @4109 White Plains Rd
Station 17 - Engine 68 & Ladder  49 @ 1080 Ogden Ave
Station 18 - Adj to Rescue 3 @ 1647 Washington Ave.
Station 19 - Engine 75, Tower Ladder 33 & Battalion 19 @ 2285 Jerome Ave. (Also Fire Prev. Dist Office)
Station 26 - Engine 85 & Ladder 59 @ 1264 Boston Rd (Tin House)
Station 55 - Engine 71, Ladder 55, Battalion 26, (Rescue 3 former qtrs.) @ 3134 Park Ave
Station 27 - {outpost} @ (NYPD) 50th Pct @ 3450 Kingsbridge Ave
BROOKLYN
Station 40 - Engine 278 @ 5011 7th Ave.
Station 44 - Engine 232 & Ladder 176 @ 266 Rockaway Ave (Tin House)
QUEENS
Station 47 - Engine 265, Tower Ladder 121 & Battalion 47 @ 303 Beach 49th St. (CURRENT)
Station 52 - Engine 272 @ 135-16 38th Ave. (Flushing)
STATEN ISLAND
Station 23 - Engine 168 @ 1100 Rossville Ave (CURRENT)
MANHATTAN
How about EMS Haz-Tac Batt working out of Building 8 - Randall's Is.

Atlas said:
BRONX
Station 55 - Engine 71, Ladder 55, Battalion 26, (Rescue 3 former qtrs.) @ 3134 Park Ave

Thanks Atlas, that sure about covers it. Nice job. Plus I didn't know that the Bronx had a Station #55. I thought the Bronx EMS Stations were all numbered in the teens and twenties.

nfd2004 said:
Atlas said:
BRONX

Thanks Atlas, that sure about covers it. Nice job. Plus I didn't know that the Bronx had a Station #55. I thought the Bronx EMS Stations were all numbered in the teens and twenties.
Probably was numbered for Battalion 55 which used to be in that 'hood ;) ;D

guitarman314 said:
nfd2004 said:

Probably was numbered for Battalion 55 which used to be in that 'hood ;) ;D
[/quote]

Yes G-man. Forgot about that. I guess they didn't just pick the number out of a hat. It kind of threw me off. Thanks.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Just remember that EMS Station 18 is in the old Batt 56 area.  Several years ago there was talk of opening a station in the area of either Eng 45 or 88. That was going to be Batt 18's station, but they obtained the land on Bathgate Ave & built a new station a few blocks south of Batt 56 former qtrs. The station is in Batt 17, but Batt 17's EMS station was already established in the Highbridge section so they used Batt 18's number.

However, there are no EMS a units assigned with either 55 or 56 ID numbers.