ANOTHER WAR YEARS VET PASSES.

RET FF JOE LAFEMINA ENG*226 FORMER UFA BKLYN TRUSTEE & TREASURER.

REST IN PEACE BROTHER....THANK YOU FOR YOUR DILIGENT SERVICE IN THE UFA...PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.....He would be in attendance at many major Fires back in the day as BKLYN Trustee making sure the BROTHERS were OK.....there are some pictures of him on the scene in some old WNYFs......His Nephew is a RET FDNY BC.

RET BC JOE GALLAGHER RESCUE SERVICES.....On 4-15-2020 after some Hosp time & battling the virus....he was a FF in ENG*75 then LT LAD*6 then CPT of LAD*116 & the original CPT of HM*1 when they were organized mid '80s....he later was a BC early '90s in the old Rescue Services (the forerunner of SOC) his Son Terry Gallagher former NYPD RET from LAD*27.....his Nephew Kevin McCauley RET from ENG*275 predeceased Joe 2 weeks earlier also after some Hosp time & battling the virus.....Joe's Brother also predeceased him from a heart attack & misdirected EMS Response several years ago........REST IN PEACE BROTHER.....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.

RET FF JAMES J. DIMINO ENG*159....On 4-7 -2020 at 81 yrs of age..... RET 1990 after 25 yrs OTJ....REST IN PEACE BROTHER....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.....    Obituary  .....    https://obittree.com/obituary/us/new-jersey/manchester/oliverie-funeral-home/james-dimino/4181649/index.php

RET FF BRUCE GARCIA LAD*30 ... .On 4-14-2020.....appt 11-20-82....Recipient of the Thomas Crimmins Medal in 1992 for a Roof Rope Rescue in 1991....REST IN PEACE BROTHER....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.

RET BC CHARLES H. GEE... On 4-18-2020...REST IN PEACE BROTHER.....THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE BOTH MILITARY (US NAVY) & FDNY....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES......  Obituary... https://www.raynordandrea.com/obituary/Charles-Gee

While a fireman, Charlie spent some time in 132 (having transferred in). Good people. May he Rest in Peace. Thoughts and prayers for his family.

RET CPT WILLIAM "BILL" TURSELLINO LAD*111 & LAD*164....I recd this email today .....QUOTE.. The below writing is from Nick Scunziano

HI,

BILL TURSELLINO L-111 PASSED AWAY 2 HRS. AGO @ ABOUT 6:00,
4/19. BILL WAS 96 AT THIS TIME IT WILL BE A FAMILY EVENT ONLY.
BILL WAS MY LT. & CAPT. IN L-111 FROM 1962 TO 1976 WHEN I WAS
PROMOTED. BILL WAS MY FRIEND AND MENTOR UNTIL HIS DEATH.
HIS SON BILLY CAME TO TL-105 FROM L-17-2 AND EVENTUALLY
PROMOTED TO LT. & CAPT. UNFORTUNALLY BILLY PASSED FEW YEARS
BACK. BILL WAS LIFTED OUT OF L-111 BECAUSE OF TOO MANY YEARS
IN THE GETTO HE WAS SENT TO L-164 UNTIL HE RETIRED. BILL?S
FAMILY OF TEN CHILDREN HAVE A LOT TO BE PROUD OF, AS ARE THE
OLD MEMBERS OF THE NUT HOUSE 214/111. BILL WAS A GOOD
FRIEND & I WILL MISS HIM. BILL WAS PROMOTED TO LT. @ THE
CEREMONY AS I WAS SWORN IN, 4/7/62 A LOT OF STORIES AGO.
BILL, RIP............. HELEN & NICK SCUNZIANO ...UNQUOTE...
REST IN PEACE BROTHER....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILES........A SUPERIOR FIRE OFFICER & A GENTLEMAN.

I certainly & Reverently remember CPT BILL T. as both a LT & CPT from 111 when i was a FF in 108......we used to run in with 111 several times a tour every tour.....when the two hat wearing FC / COD john t ohagen (further referred to as jto ) came up with the hair brained scheme of adaptive response from mid afternoon until midnight he beefed up certain LADs .....7 FFs in the busy BX & HARLEM LADs but only 6 FFs in the busy BKLYN areas (where he should of known better as to the size of some bldgs since he did "some time" as a LT in 102 )... ......111 CPT Bill Tursellino & my 108 CPT John Wakie strongly objected (as did many others but these two CPTs took the forefront & the aftermath)....both had been LTs & CPTs in there respective 111 & 108 from the start of the FDNY WAR YEARS & had certainly been around the block many times & knew what they were talking about .....they both jumped on the grenade & thru the UFOA ? or otherwise ? demanded a chance to voice there reasoning for a 7th FF on an AR LAD in BKLYN....the outcome was a City Council hearing was conveined & was held in the City Council Chambers in City Hall ...the two CPTs were allowed to testify .....they brought with them (uninvited) a good portion of 108 & 111 FFs (this was a big precedent setting safety issue as there would only be one AR LAD responding initially during the AR hrs & the extra FF would make a big difference safety & operational wise )....the hearing started & both CPTs gave their testimony to the civilian (& uninitiated in FDNY procedures) City Council Members & the two CPTs were peppered with questions ....the hearing lasted quite awhile with both CPT Bill T. 111 & CPT John W. on the Hot Seat fielding questions from the City Council....it was obvious to us young peons that jto was boiling that the two CPTs from the field had "stood up to be counted " & had countered "one" of his master plans to save the City a few bucks (maybe at a Civilian or FDNY Members expense or life ? ).... jto also was super pissed that we the lowly 108 & 111 FFs & LTs had accompanied their CPTs to the Hearing....as the hearing went on at one point the Council Speaker called a short recess at which time both CPTs went into the hallway to discuss their strategy ....we were just kind of milling around in the assembly room & jto came flying into our group & obviously pissed that we were there stated " you guys think you are hot shit since you run around the ghetto all day & night (but left the several Fires a tour out) but i could bring you to Midtown Manh & you would not know your a$$ from a hole in the ground".... he further stated "i took CPT's (& he mentioned two Revered & accomplished BKLYN ghetto Legends names) out of the BKLYN ghetto & put them in Midtown "to learn the job"....the two names he said where both the real deal who had had made some ghetto FFs & their Companies GREAT & were still considered LEGENDS by those who knew & had RESPECT ......we were appalled but he was the FC / COD (the two hat rule which the UFOA later prevented from happening again) so we just sat there & took it....(not slighting the Midtown BROTHERS who jto kept bringing up but they were not in the jackpot on this issue & we were ) ....afterwards of course we told CPT JW & CPT Bill T. what jto said when he cornered us while they were out of the auditorium during the recess.....they later called jto & got into it with him over his disrespect for us & the named Officers....jto further pissed then said "you two are going to go offline & work days detailed to give instruction to the BKLYN LADs involved with MY AR program ...."VINDICTIVE"
.....so now both CPT Bill T. 111 & CPT John W. 108 were in the hot seat & taken out of their Busy Company's & were ordered to ride around in their own vehicle & give instructions to all the LADs involved in the BKLYN shortchanged AR (a CYA by the job for this shortchanged ridiculous idea instead of making more Companies to address the need )) .....the way the instructions were handled was each busy LAD would interchange with their regular third night time interchange LAD but now do so in the afternoon to allow the instructions to proceed without the constant Runs in the Busy LADs area ....& both CPT B.T. 111 & J.W. 108 would have to schlep together to the slow LADs FHs every afternoon (not all in BKLYN as some of the BKLYN scheduled AR LADS had regularly scheduled interchange Units not only in BKLYN but some in QNS & some in Lower MANH as that's were some of the the Busy BKLYN Units interchanged to ) both of these CPTS had given there all & certainly did make the job better & always took care of the BROTHERS but got no respect from jto.

Thank you Chief for this story and my condolences to you and your Brother FDNY Members who feel the loss of these two "Highly Respected" FDNY War Years Captains. Both Captain Bill Tursellino and Captain John Wakie. They weren't afraid to stand up for what is right and what they believed in.

They served their purpose in life well. Not only as some of the worlds busiest firefighters, but as fire officers that other officers throughout not just the FDNY, but other depts. as well, would respect.

I have followed these pages of "Another War Years Vet Passes" since it's beginning. Most of course I don't know but I feel that maybe along the way, "we have met before". As a buff of many years, "I feel that these War Years Firefighters, based on the amount of work they did, there will NEVER be another generation of firefighters like this".

This "Greatest Generation of Firefighters" fought a war on a daily basis for over a decade within our most populated and largest city in the country. They were the "busiest in this country fighting fires" and probably the busiest firefighters in the world.

As a young buff/firefighter, these guys treated me great. They answered my numerous questions, they allowed me to ride with them to see for myself just how it is, and they invited me into their firehouses to stay and see for myself as their visiting guest.

I will ALWAYS be very grateful for what these firefighters did for me.

Thank you and May They Rest in Peace.

Chief,
Sorry for your loss on a personal level. Thank you for sharing your memories. May Capt T. Rest in Peace. And may we keep his family at home and on the job in our thoughts and prayers. A War Years legend!

Regarding reply # 1362 on page 91  RET BC JOE GALLAGHER  ... on this Sat Morning 4-25-2020 he will be interred in St Marys Cemetery in QNS  ...... At 1015 hrs Units & Mourners will be lining up socially distant along Booth Memorial Ave near the entrance to the Cemetery on Booth Memorial Ave bet 164 St & Fresh Meadows Lane (closer to Fresh Meadows Lane somewhat up Booth Memorial from the rear of the athletic field of Francis Lewis HS on Booth)......(Exit 25 on the LIE .. Utopia Pkwy) .....Cemetery will be for Family but both sides to the roadway along Booth Memorial to the entrance is available to show Respect....if you can arrive early to find out which direction on Booth they are coming from to the entrance.

^^^^^^^^ I also recd this info in addition to the above post about Sat 4-25......Joseph P. Gallagher

funeral arrangements

First Captain of Haz-Mat Co. 1

On Saturday April 25, 2020 at 9:45 am

There will be a blessing of the coffin

In front of the church before interment.

There will be no other ceremony.

ST. Anastasia RC Church

45-14 245 Street

Douglaston, NY 11362

Fred Koller

ACTIVE FDNY EMT IDRIS BEY VIRUS RELATED.......  REST IN PEACE BROTHER ......PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES....    http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/insider/resources/do/2020/029_2020_eoe.pdf

ACTIVE EMT GREGORY H. HODGE.....    REST IN PEACE BROTHER....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.... http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/insider/resources/do/2020/028_2020_eoe.pdf

ACTIVE EMT JOHN MONDELLO....  REST IN PEACE BROTHER....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.... https://nypost.com/2020/04/25/nyc-emt-commits-suicide-with-gun-belonging-to-his-dad/

RET LT JOHN HOLFESTER LAD*126.... After battling a long illness ...no services planned at this time ...REST IN PEACE BROTHER.....THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE BOTH MILITARY (US NAVY) & FDNY ....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.......John saw it all during the busiest times of the South Jamaica War Years ( 126 # 1 1977 ) one Son John Jr. is an Active FDNY BC... one Son Vinny is a RET FDNY LT.....his Brother Ronny originally was on the Fire Patrol back in the '60s & is now RET from the NYPD ....John himself had been a FF in ENG*225 in ENY....in the Charlie Orlando video John appears in the kitchen at the 5:14 min mark & at a job at both the 10:50 min mark & the 11:53 mark......many in the video no longer walk the earth....    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=_r5qetRxbSM&feature=emb_logo