Any Books on NYC Volunteer Companies in the 1800s

Can anyone recommend or is aware of any books which chronicle the turbulent 1800s for NYC volunteer fire companies and the battles/rivalries with other vollie companies?  Boss Tweed was the foreman (captain) of "Americus Engine Company #6" on the Lower East Side (Ex E-15 quarters on Henry Street) used this public service role to put a positive face on his political achine "Tammany Hall" and their activities.  Thanks

There was a hardcover book that came out in the 1950, green cover to be exact, that had been distributed by an insurance company. The title was "As time goes by" or something to that effect. My dad had brought it home and I think it was given to all FDNY members at the time. Anyway, it traced the history of fire departments in NYC from the 1600's up to the 1950's. Many drawings, illustrations and photos OF FDNY fire houses. How I wish I knew where it went because I've searched high and low for it in the house. You may also try to locate "History Of The New York Fire Department" by Lowell M. Limpus which was published in 1940. Copyright 1940 by E.P. Dutton & Company, Inc.

mack

Administrator
"Our Firemen: The History of the New York Fire Departments from 1609 to 1887" - very comprehensive - available on-line

"Our firemen: the official history of the Brooklyn Fire Department, from the first volunteer to the latest appointee" - available on-line

HCO

Call F/M Dan Maye, Lt. Butch Scarpinato, or Jack Lerch at the Mand Library (212-360-4413) for assistance.

Theres a book I read last semester called "NY Burning". Cant remember the author since it was rented, I returned it haha. Not so much about fire companies as a whole, but its something similar. It was about a conspiracy among the slave population in Manhattan in the 18th century (around the mid 1700's) to burn down all of the masters homes and businesses. The book talks about the conspiracy, talks about different sides - what exactly happened. It was cool because it was about 18th century Manhattan, particularly what would be the now Financial District area. Overall talked about how there were also other slave led conspiracies in the time period to do the same in other part of the colonies and even overseas in Britain. There is some mention of volunteer fire companies, back then horses with buckets of water, etc... it even briefly talks about the apparatus itself, the horse and pumper system that they had in play, the whole 9 yards. A lot of names, dates and places were thrown in there so it was interesting. I believe it was the Fort George fire, now in modern day Battery City that sparked the whole arson movement and led white masters on to the conspiracy...a huge what would today be a multiple alarm job that consumed the entire fort, deemed suspicious.

Its an interesting read if you can find it. (Just looked it up, the title is: New York Burning: Liberty, Slavey and Conspiracy in 18th century Manhattan - by Jill Lepore).

FDNYSTATENISLAND said:
Theres a book I read last semester called "NY Burning". Cant remember the author since it was rented, I returned it haha. Not so much about fire companies as a whole, but its something similar. It was about a conspiracy among the slave population in Manhattan in the 18th century (around the mid 1700's) to burn down all of the masters homes and businesses. The book talks about the conspiracy, talks about different sides - what exactly happened. It was cool because it was about 18th century Manhattan, particularly what would be the now Financial District area. Overall talked about how there were also other slave led conspiracies in the time period to do the same in other part of the colonies and even overseas in Britain. There is some mention of volunteer fire companies, back then horses with buckets of water, etc... it even briefly talks about the apparatus itself, the horse and pumper system that they had in play, the whole 9 yards. A lot of names, dates and places were thrown in there so it was interesting. I believe it was the Fort George fire, now in modern day Battery City that sparked the whole arson movement and led white masters on to the conspiracy...a huge what would today be a multiple alarm job that consumed the entire fort, deemed suspicious.

Its an interesting read if you can find it. (Just looked it up, the title is: New York Burning: Liberty, Slavey and Conspiracy in 18th century Manhattan - by Jill Lepore).

Thanks for the tip FDNYSTATENISLAND!