Battalion Chief Kline (FDNY)

Battalion Chief Kline (FDNY Ret.) passed away about 1 week ago here in Va. Beach. Chief Kline was a resident in a assisted living facility in VBFD Engine 10/Squad 10's first due area.

Everytime Engine 10 or Squad 10 would respond to the facility for a Fire or EMS run Chief Kline would greet the fellas and always try to fill them in on what was going on. On many occassions the VBFD brothers would pick Chief Kline up in the Engine and take him to the firehouse for dinner or for a ride in the neighborhood. The brothers at VBFD Engine 10/Squad 10 enjoyed Chief Kline's company and I'm sure he enjoyed theirs. We didn't know about his passing until about a day or two ago. If we knew what had happened, we would have given him a tremendous showing at his funeral. And yes, I'm crying my eyes out while I'm typing this.

Rest in Peace Chief  :'(

If anyone remembers Chief Kline or maybe his past assignments please pass on the info to me. The fellas at Engine 10 & Squad 10 would appreciate it.

I did not know the Chief, but as a fellow F.D.N.Y. 'retiree' who now lives 1200 miles away from the job that I loved ... my thanks to you and the rest of the Brothers & Sisters at V.B.F.D.'s '10 & 10' for continuing the age old fire service tradition of 'doing the right thing'. From the description you have given of how you all treated Chief Kline, your house is 'a class act'. Stay safe Brother.

That is real Brotherhood given by the Virginia Beach Fire Dept. I'm sure Chief Kline was always glad to say "hello" to the members of VBFDs 10s. Because I gotta tell ya, if it was the other way around, I'm sure the FDNY members would do the same.
  Thanks Deano for sharing that.
  I once remember a story about a Boston Firehouse where another out of town firefighter had a wife or relative in serious condition at one of the hospitals. That Boston Firehouse allowed that member to stay there for as long as he needed, so he wouldn't have to make the long, costly trip on a daily basis. I don't remember the exact details, but maybe "Grumpy" would  remember. I think it was around his Boston Days.
  Maybe some of you may remember Deputy Chief Curley from the Sixth Division during those busy War Years. He had retired and moved to Groton, Connecticut. He would often visit the firehouse, sometimes for a meal, or just a coffee. The guys Loved it when he was there. They'd talk about the jobs, and being on the job. Sadly, Chief Curley passed away about two years ago, and those Ct guys lost a good friend.
  Thanks Deano and to the members of VBFD Company 10. I guess as the saying goes; "Once a Fireman always a Fireman". Whether in a nursing home, retired, or on the Front Lines, its a Brotherhood that just kinda stays with you.

mack

Administrator
Found some pictures of BC Allen Klein:
honararymembership.jpg
garyrichtomtravisallenj.jpg
newvest.jpg

http://www.bikerenews.com/On_the_Road/OTR20070711.html
http://www.bikerenews.com/On_the_Road/072005.htm

VIRGINIA BEACH, VIRGINIA; Allen Kline, 89, of the 2100 block of Woodlawn Avenue, died Friday, June 17, 2011 in his residence. Mr. Kline was a native of New York City, New York, where at James Monroe H.S, he was an all-city Tuba player and the NYC Typing Champion. He was the son of the late Charles Kline and Gertrude Sorotsky Kline Gorstein. He was an Army Veteran of World War II and later retired from the New York City Fire Department as a Fire Department Battalion Chief after 33 years service. He was an officer of Naer Tormid, the NYC Jewish Firefighter's Association and worked tirelessly on the behalf of Deborah Heart Hospital in New

I am not entirely positive ....but i think this is the same Chief Kline that i first met in the early '70s when he was covering in BN*35 & i was in LAD*108.....he used to drive a big Pontiac Grand Prix fairly new w/a beautiful interior but the thing was someone had rearended it (& i mean good) the trunk was almost non-existant ...........i think he did not have collision & did not think it was a big deal to drive it like that.....the front 3/4s of the car was always polished.......he later got a permanent spot in BN*43 in Coney Island & lived in a High Rise nearby in C.I.......i would see him often then as i was in R*2  & Coney was hopping........i have not seen him in many years but the photo sure looks like it is the same Chief Kline.....a real gentleman.......REST IN PEACE CHIEF. ..........oddly enough i was in Coney Island this past Sunday & he was one of the  people i thought about.