Bill Ladell, Fieldcomm: 50 Years and Counting

From the FDNY Facebook page:

“When you work for an organization that is such a professional place filled with wonderful people, the years go by quick. I’ve never had a dull day and I love what I do. In 1971, I joined the Department and was assigned to Manhattan Fire Dispatch Center. I worked there until 1993, with a six-month period in Brooklyn in 1977. Actually, the first night I worked at the Brooklyn Fire Dispatch Center was the night of the 1977 blackout. Then in 1993, I was assigned to the Field Communications Unit and that is where I am today. During my time in the Department, I helped develop the Starfire MDT System, which is a computer aided dispatch system the Department still uses today. I’ve been working here for 50 years, but some dates still stand out to me, the New York Telephone Company Fire in February of 1975, the World Trade Center fire in February 1993, and the attacks on September 11, 2001. On that day, I was actually on my way home from work and I was walking by the building when the first plane hit the tower, so I stayed to assist. This whole job is a team effort and I work with some of the best people around. I enjoy going to work. When you love your job, you never have to work a day in your life,” says FDNY Fire Alarm Dispatcher Bill Ladell. On March 22, 2021, FAD Ladell celebrated 50 years of dedicated service with the FDNY. FDNY Supervising Fire Alarm Dispatcher Kevin Trudden, Field Communications Unit, says, “I have been working with Bill for about 16 years. I learned everything I know from him. There are so many days that he has inspired us. From working with him, I learned how to do this job. Everything that I learned about how this unit operates, I gained all the knowledge from him. He has so much knowledge from his long history in this Department. There isn’t a thing he doesn’t remember, his wealth of knowledge is immeasurable.”!.jpg!!.jpg

From the FDNY Facebook page:

“When you work for an organization that is such a professional place filled with wonderful people, the years go by quick. I’ve never had a dull day and I love what I do. In 1971, I joined the Department and was assigned to Manhattan Fire Dispatch Center. I worked there until 1993, with a six-month period in Brooklyn in 1977. Actually, the first night I worked at the Brooklyn Fire Dispatch Center was the night of the 1977 blackout. Then in 1993, I was assigned to the Field Communications Unit and that is where I am today. During my time in the Department, I helped develop the Starfire MDT System, which is a computer aided dispatch system the Department still uses today. I’ve been working here for 50 years, but some dates still stand out to me, the New York Telephone Company Fire in February of 1975, the World Trade Center fire in February 1993, and the attacks on September 11, 2001. On that day, I was actually on my way home from work and I was walking by the building when the first plane hit the tower, so I stayed to assist. This whole job is a team effort and I work with some of the best people around. I enjoy going to work. When you love your job, you never have to work a day in your life,” says FDNY Fire Alarm Dispatcher Bill Ladell. On March 22, 2021, FAD Ladell celebrated 50 years of dedicated service with the FDNY. FDNY Supervising Fire Alarm Dispatcher Kevin Trudden, Field Communications Unit, says, “I have been working with Bill for about 16 years. I learned everything I know from him. There are so many days that he has inspired us. From working with him, I learned how to do this job. Everything that I learned about how this unit operates, I gained all the knowledge from him. He has so much knowledge from his long history in this Department. There isn’t a thing he doesn’t remember, his wealth of knowledge is immeasurable.”View attachment 13397View attachment 13398
Very cool.

Congratulations Bill.....I have know Bill since he was a Dispatcher in BKLYN for awhile ......he had joined us for Dinner at one of our (pre covid) nycfire.net get togethers at Maggie Mays a few years ago (i think he ONLY had 47 yrs OTJ then) & gave a very great off the top of his head Q&A on some very interesting FDNY history...... a committed professional in the Communications field & also a wealth of knowledge on the FDNY as well as a record setting time OTJ.

Congratulations Bill.....I have know Bill since he was a Dispatcher in BKLYN for awhile ......he had joined us for Dinner at one of our (pre covid) nycfire.net get togethers at Maggie Mays a few years ago (i think he ONLY had 47 yrs OTJ then) & gave a very great off the top of his head Q&A on some very interesting FDNY history...... a committed professional in the Communications field & also a wealth of knowledge on the FDNY as well as a record setting time OTJ.

Yes Chief, I do remember that Maggie Mays Get Together when Bill Ladell had only 47 years on the job.

Then another time I talked to him was when it was the final day of Rescue 2's quarters on Empire Blvd (No - it was Bergen St) before they would be moving to their new quarters. That was in November, 2019 and I asked Bill if he had any plans to retire soon. He told me, "not at this time". "I love what I do".

I don't know of ANYBODY who has worked for ANY Fire Dept for 50 years, dispatcher or firefighter. It's certainly got to be a record set.

I can tell everybody here that Billy Ladell is a true gentleman and a credit to the FDNY. Furthermore, he is a guy that really loves the job he does.

Maybe someday he'll write a book because he certainly has some stories to tell.

Last edited:
Willy: the communications office was on Empire Blvd; Rescue 2 was on Bergen Street.

That's correct John

It was Bergen St

Lord knows what’s going to happen when I turn 39. Or is it 40. Or 41, or whatever age I’ll be on my next birthday ?????

Last edited:
It's always an honor to be able to discuss topics on this net with some of the WORLDS top Firefighters and others I am in awe of being able to discuss what's going on in our city with the guys who are out there. Whether it's Radios or a run. Mr Ladell it's a pleasure knowing your vital information is shared here and that you have given so many years and so much of your life to this calling, I wish you 50 more and it's great going to work and doing something you really love but for 50 years that's the best! Hats off!

Met him at the UN Detail over the summer. Real nice man. Was impressive to hear how long he’s been around!