Binghamton, NY - Brush Fires

More than a dozen Broome County Fire Companies fought a stubborn brush fire yesterday for almost nine hours in Hillcrest, NY, a suburb of Binghamton.  The fire started as several small fires actually ignited by a fire on a passing Canadian Pacific train.  The fire was difficult to fight because of high winds and uphill terrain, and also accessibility problems.  Firefighters and Police had to evacuate homes in the fire's path, but the fire was put under control before it reached those homes.  All-in-all 25 acres on the side of Crocker Hill were involved.  Although by most national standards, this was considered a small fire, it could have been a lot worse as Binghamton has not had rain in a while and most of the surrounding area was very dry.

This was personal to me, because my daughter lives on Crocker Hill in the fire's path, so I'm very grateful to all of the brothers and sisters of the local volunteer fire companies that fought that stubborn fire.   

Volunteer Fire crews are back on the scene this morning to make sure that there are no hotspots or continuing problems.  Some of the fire companies that fought the fire included:  Hillcrest, Port Dickinson, Port Crane, Fire Mile Point, Chenango, Sanitaria Springs, and Chenango Forks.  If I left anyone else out, I apologize, but those were the ones that I heard.

TY, Muse for the info...

I was an E.M.T. in Binghamton & Our Squad Served as E.M.S Provider for the Co.s you mentioned.

Brush Fires up there were always a concern during Dry Spells. Glad to hear your daughter was Safe & Sound. God Bless Those who Serve.

STAjo said:
TY, Muse for the info...

I was an E.M.T. in Binghamton & Our Squad Served as E.M.S Provider for the Co.s you mentioned.

Brush Fires up there were always a concern during Dry Spells. Glad to hear your daughter was Safe & Sound. God Bless Those who Serve.

STAjo:

I lived in Binghamton for awhile.  I'd be interested to know what EMS company you worked for and in what years.  I had friends there who were heavily involved in the EMS scene.