Books on the "War Years"

M

mmattyphoto

Sorry guys I only have (2) copies. The one I have is the one FDNY actually put out called FDNY The Bravest 1865 to 2000. This is the book with Mayor Giuliani and FC Von Essen also this is the leather bound Commemorative Edition.

engine6 said:
Hello everyone. Two of the best books on the wars years are When the Bronx burned and The Usual. both by ret Lt John Finucane. I think he was with 85 Engine. Go to Whenthebronxburned.com and there is a good story line leading to the book. Thanks enjoy

Reading the book "Usual" now. It is a Great Book. I had it for awhile, just wasn't able to get to it. And of course, "When the Bronx Burned" is another.
  Really, I have NO IDEA how I ever made it through school. I don't think I ever read any book I was supposed to. If only these books that have been listed, were on my required reading list, a few decades ago, "I would have been an Honor Student".

Just purchased a book called The Fires by Joe Flood. Book is based on the war years period. The author states that using computer ( rand corporation), consultation and statistics the fire epidemic can be brought under control. I brought the book on a friend seeing an article in the NY post about the book. Any one read or have any info on how good the book is or not.  Thanks

mikeindabronx said:
Thanks for the kind words. Two other books I enjoyed but do not contain many photos are

Ghetto Fire Fighter - Harry J. Ahearn
Thirty Years On The Line - Leo D.Stapleton  (Boston)

I've  never thought  of my self as  a HUGE  buff  But  To my  mind
Smith's  report from engine company 82 was something I literally read in one  weekend  sitting ..
His  "firehouse"  with Jill Freedman's  Photography  were  great it brought  the book even more to life
I have an autographed  copy  of  Ghetto Firefighter  By Ahern
I also have  Fiscane's  last  book on his E 85  days, unfortunately  it was  30 years  after  smith  did his,, you know?
20,000 alarms  was awesome  because I knew a guy who  told me the story of how  17 trucks  company Johnny got a medal and told me the story  from his  persective and when i  actually read  Hamiltons  version it was pretty cool...

Any of  you  old  schoolers ever seen  "as YOu Passby?"

Jim (BFD389), welcome aboard. Those are some Great Books. We can relate to a lot of that as we were there in the streets of the South Bronx and Harlem back in the day. I hope you'll check out "mikeindabronx" pictures on www.fdnysbravest.com as he was there too.
  Jim (BFD389) and I  buffed the South Bronx streets together many a night. He's had several years as a Bridgeport Firefighter and also plays in the Bagpipe Band at several Fire Dept functions and funerals. I met my old friend several weeks ago where I learned that he credits the Milford (Ct) Fire Dept and their medics with saving his life after suffering a very serious medical condition.
  Well Jim, it looks like over those many years, we've read a lot of the same books. Only I never got any autographs.
  Just one more thing. There are some really Great people on this site. Some FDNY active and retired members, Dispatchers, EMS, firefighters from other cities, and plenty of Great People all with the same interest. Take my word for it Jim, you'll enjoy the site and get to know some real good people.
  Please, just don't tell them how I used to ask you to make those ice cream runs when you used to visit me at Norwich FDs "Greenville Hilton". Okay. Thanks buddy!!!!

mack

Administrator
What about Willy D's book "Eating Big Macs and Buffing Jobs During FDNY'S War Years".  It is a must-read for anyone who liked to eat 2 all beef patties special sauce lettuce cheese pickles onions on a sesame seed bun while watching all-hands and 2nd alarms.

mack said:
What about Willy D's book "Eating Big Macs and Buffing Jobs During FDNY'S War Years".  It is a must-read for anyone who liked to eat 2 all beef patties special sauce lettuce cheese pickles onions on a sesame seed bun while watching all-hands and 2nd alarms.

He mentioned that he would also show up at some 10-30's with them

Gentlemen, like Mike's book, Willys Book, "Eating Big Macs and Buffing Jobs during the War Years" is no longer available. I can not tell you how many times it was eat on the run. Portable scanner in pocket, grab the chow and off we go. Driving down Webster Ave with that Big Mac all beef patty with that special sauce, lettuce, pickles, onion, on that sesame seed bun took a special skill snaking the ole' buff mobile through those South Bronx streets, while wolfing down a McDonalds Big Mac and fries. And never once, during all those times, did a young Wilfred D put that buff mobile into another car, pole or whatever else could get in the way.

He logged thousands of miles, saw thousands of fires from those days of the 10-30s and all the bigger jobs, yet still never missed one bite out of his Big Macs.

While I never witnessed the exploits of the Great Willy D, from what I've read here, you sir are a true legend

A legend in his own mind !! But really he was responsible for introducing many many guys in eastern Ct  to the ways of the FDNY. Many of which became career firefighters throughout the north east and the FDNY. He has , by the way, upgraded to dinner on Arthur Ave.......something I thought I would never see.......Times do change right Willy !!!

Bxboro said:
A legend in his own mind !! But really he was responsible for introducing many many guys in eastern Ct  to the ways of the FDNY. Many of which became career firefighters throughout the north east and the FDNY. He has , by the way, upgraded to dinner on Arthur Ave.......something I thought I would never see.......Times do change right Willy !!!

Arthur Ave. indeed, but we have to use the back door.

I agree, somewhat, with what my friend Bxboro says about Willy D.  However, he might consider "upgrading" to White Castle!!

We are supposed to be talking about FDNY War Years Books. Not about some guy that eats Micky D Big Macs, or White Castle Sinkers.

And I suspect after all this, you still expect me to buy you a Sinker or Big Mac on Webster Ave. Well, for you guys, "I guess I still would". But please, just try to stick to the original topic.

Hugs and Kisses,
Uncle Wilfred D