Boston, MA- Terror Attack 04-15-13

Just reviewed that there have been at least two additional devices identified. One at a hotel the other at an undisclosed location.
The JFK was and incindiary device D and FBI are not saying if it is connected at this time.

recent update and info released;

At this time the FBI and BPD state there were just 2 devices. The JFK was not related to the Marathon incident. A search warrant was served related to the marathon incident, this warrant was served in Revere MA a City adjacent to Boston on the East Side.
The toll stands at 3 dead, 171 injured and expected to rise.
According to the FBI No known additional threats, a 12 block area continues to be a crime scene.

mack

Administrator
There was a fire at the JFK Library in South Boston in a mechanical room - a good distance from the bombing site in Back Bay - box was struck (similar to 10-75).

There was also a vent fire in a high rise fire building downtown - not far from bomb site - box was struck.

The 2nd alarm was transmitted for the bombing response, not for a fire.

Don't know what the final count of units involved - high number of BFD units involved with reported suspicious packages/cases/packs - also seemed to be a good number of EMS runs - many special units were used

mack

Administrator
Boston Marathon Day in the Boston area is a special day - Patriots Day.  It celebrates Paul Revere's ride and the first battles of the American Revolution - Lexington and Concord - April 19, 1775.  It is a state holiday.  It's the real start of springtime in New England.  The tax deadline is pushed off a day.  The kids are off from school.  Parents take them "in town" (going into Boston is going "in town") to stand along the parade route and cheer for the thousands of runners from all over the world.  Every runner is cheered.  The Red Sox play a rare morning game so the Fenway crowd can spill into the Back Bay area to catch the endless flow of runners.  Traffic is blocked off.  In spite of the large crowds of people, it is a peaceful, cheerful, unique experience.  The Back Bay is an ideal Marathon end point - historic parks, classic skyscraper, pubs, restaurants and the 1895 Boston Public Library building with "Free to All" etched above its doors.  This whole experience is inspirational, fun, open, public and free. That why so many families go. 

mack

Administrator
MON 15  GROUP 2/4    BOX 1571    LOCATION: DARTMOUTH & NEWBURY STS  671-673, 755 Boylston St 6 Story Brick Commercial Buildings
      INCIDENT #20672    IC - Keeley D-4(Ops), Harrington D-3(Rit), Walsh D-6/H-1, Pettaway D-7(2nd), Dempsey D-1(Act), Dunbar C-6(IC), Magee K-3(Arson), Hasson C-3(C 0 O), Shea K1      (Arson), Abraira C-2(C o D), Fraser C-1(Comm), Camb Dep Morrisey Div 1 

1451 1st Alarm            By FA  E 33-7-22    L 15 TL-17    R-1        D-4 C-6(IC)
1451 Rehab and Rit Cos By FA  E 39*        L 26 TL-3    RHU        D-3(Rit) H-1(Safety)
1457 1 X Eng & Lad    By D-4  E 3              L 24         
1507 2 X Eng              By C-6  E 4-10
1530 2nd Alarm          By C-6  E 24-14-50    L 1          SU TaC ASU  D-7(2nd) D-1(Act) C-3 C-2 C-1 K-1 A-65   
1556    Special Mutual Aid      Cam L-1, Sq -2 Div 1    (Cambridge FD)   
1556    Special Mutual Aid      Som E2-32  Brk L-2-14  (Somerville FD)             
1610 Detail                By C-6  E 18-32-55    L 11-21-29    R-2             
2100 Detail                By C-6  E 8-30-51      L 4-19-28    R-1
0000 Detail 04/16        E 10-17-20              L 9-16-24      D-7
0330 Detail                E 28-48                    L 6-14
0709 Detail Terminated        IGNITION FACTOR 1
1555 All Out                  Loss $         
ORIGIN: 2 separate terrorist bombs (at baa marathon damage to buildings 3 killed 183 injured               
* worked at fire

(Thanks Elliot M. Belin site) 

Units involved summary:  22 engines  19 trucks  2 rescues  1 squad 

Notes - box was struck while this incident was in progress for high rise fire close to bomb location - a separate fire incident
        - box was struck while this incident was in progress for a JFK Library fire - a separate fire incident

On a much lighter note from this terrible event I have a story to tell.

Several years ago, the Chief of Department at the time asked a favor of me. In the sixty man dept I worked in the Chief knows every firefighter. He knew I was a buff of the FDNY and had made a few buff trips to Boston. The chief said to me, you must know some guys at the firehouse where the Boston Marathan Race ends. I had no idea which firehouse it was, and I certainly didn't know anybody there. The chief wanted me to ask if the Mayor, and a few guys from the job could stop in at that firehouse after running the race to clean up etc. I think they wanted to park their cars there too.

I somehow found out that the firehouse they were referring to was Bostons Engine 33/Ladder 15. I knew of the firehouse and had been by it several times. But I had no idea of the Boston Marathon route ending near there. I somehow got in touch with the Boss (Captain) of that firehouse. He told me it would be okay for them to stop by. This goes back quite a few years so I assume things are much different now. So I passed on the word to the chief, who informed the mayor, that they got the okay to stop by. I told the other two guys on the job that were running the race also. I just hoped that everything worked out okay.

A few days later the chief told my captain to "have Dennis (my last name) come to the office". I wasn't to happy about it and the chief and I weren't exactly the best of buddies. He told me to sit down and he said "don't worry, you're not in any trouble". What he wanted to do was thank me for setting things up at that firehouse (33/15). He said those guys in that firehouse were GREAT. They let them clean up, change their clothes, whatever they needed. The Chief, Mayor, and the two guys on the job couldn't believe how good they were treated. I think the mayor and the chief wrote a letter to the firehouse thanking them. That was several years ago and I never forgot what those guys did for me. They had no idea who I was when I called and asked for this favor. All I told them was that I was on the job in Connecticut and two guys, my chief, and the mayor, would like to use the firehouse if they could after the race.

It apparently was quite a different scene this time for the members of Bostons Engine 33 and Ladder 15. A scene of chaos, injuries, and mass confusion. Our society has changed much since I made that phone call to the Captain of 33/15. Terrorist Attacks happened in other countries, not in the United States of America. Since that time, the World Trade Center was attacked in February, 1993 leaving six dead and 1,000 injuried. Then on September 11, 2001 the Worst attack to ever hit this country. The World Trade Center, The Pentagon, and the plane crash in Shanksville, Pa took the lives of thousands. Some today are still paying a terrible price with breathing problems, sinus problems, headaces etc.

Then there was the failed car bomb incident in Times Square. Also the so called "shoe bomber" in which an individual attempted to blow up a plane in flight. Now Boston is the choice of attack. Three dead and numerous injuried. Several are critical and have lost their limbs. One eight year old child was killed waiting to see his mother pass the finish line.

We are under attack. And as one person told me, you can't check every bag or backpack at parades, races, on ferry boats, trains, or buses. Boston had two bombs. The first went off. Then shortly after, the second. The cities are facing a new kind of War Years. In the 1970s and for some cities it was the 1980s, their War Years were Fires. Todays War Years are Bombs.

To those that protect us, please be careful. "I don't want your job". To the Police, Fire, Ems, and our Military, "Thank you for what you do". Thank you to the doctors and nurses behind the walls of the hospitals working hard around the clock trying to save those lives. And in a matter of minutes, those 911 call takers trying to put the pieces together as the phone calls came in. The truth is, we can't make it without each of you. Thanks again for what you do. And I sure do mean it.

truck4

Administrator
AP: Surviving Boston bomb suspect identified as Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, 19, of Cambridge. Boston bomb suspects from Russia region near Chechnya, lived in US at least 1 year

Federal official: The two Boston Marathon bombing suspects are brothers

mack

Administrator
Suspects lived in US 10 uears.  Current manhunt is for a 19 y/o student college student on a scholarship.    -  Shut our borders

mack

Administrator
Audio from BFD - requests from BFD detail members to strike box - Fire Alarm striking box - operation radio transmissions:

Boston Marathon Bombing Fire Department Audio 4/15/13

Engine 33 Ladder 15 HazMat Response Unit (manned by L15) were parked across the street from the 33/15's firehouse on Boylston St - members responded before box was struck - about 1 1/2 blocks to explosion - members saw 1st explosion - sprinted to apparatus accress the street - full bunker gear - units responded - went to work on victims at 2nd site in spite of possible secondary device - saved many lives:

Boston Fire responding to Marathon Bombing