Bridgeport,CT Crews Battling Massive Fire 9/17/13

Went to a 2nd Alarm. I'll have the rundown later (hopefully).

A mayday was transmitted by a FF from the 2nd floor.

This job was at the corner of E. Main and Putnam Streets, I believe about a block away from the old quarters of Engine 10/Ladder 10, "Camp Putnam".

These are the kinds of fires that Bridgeport was always been noted for. Big multifamily frames.

Willy D.  Did you buff the Bport War Years? 

The MAYDAY was handled well by the RIT from what I hear, and the brothers who called the MAYDAY relied on their training, kept their cool and got out uninjured from a ground ladder thrown by the RIT.

Hurricanes298 said:
Willy D.  Did you buff the Bport War Years? 

The MAYDAY was handled well by the RIT from what I hear, and the brothers who called the MAYDAY relied on their training, kept their cool and got out uninjured from a ground ladder thrown by the RIT.

I did buff Bpt during their War Years. The stories are on www.ctfire-ems.com under "Bridgeports War Years".

A few things have changed since then. One is a company is assigned as a FAST Co or RIT. In this case they were put to work to get those firefighters out safely. (IMHO it was the FDNY that was the First to come up with having a company assigned strictly to help firefighters in serious danger. Some may dispute that but others on here know different).

Another thing that has changed over the years from when the Bridgeport War Years were going on is; Today everybody has their own radio. They didn't have that in those years. Two major changes that I feel have saved firefighters lives.

Bridgeport wasn't the only city that was burning during those late 70s to very early 90s. Newark, Yonkers, Jersey City, Eliabeth, Paterson, New Haven, Hartford, Boston, Providence etc. Even a small city like a place called Norwich, Ct was getting it's share. They all seemed to follow the fires of the race riots during the 60s and then the FDNY War Years.

Back to Bridgeport. One year in the late 80s, Bridgeports Squad 5 (now Rescue 5) caught "751 Working Fires" and was rated according to the Firehouse Magazine Survey as the Seventh Busiest Heavy Rescue in the country. That's some pretty big numbers for a city only about 140,000 population. Now to explain those numbers, did they do more than all the FDNY Rescues. Probably not, but ranked by city, that's where they stood.

Rundown:

577-593 Brooks St., East Side.

02:20hrs. - Signal 29 transmitted for a report of a working structure fire at 340 Putnam St.

Box Assignment:

Engine 10, Engine 6, Engine 15, Engine 1(R.I.T.)
Ladder 10, Tower Ladder 6
Rescue 5
Battalion 2
Safety Officer 1

02:24hrs. - Ladder 10 o/s at Putnam St. and Brooks St. reporting heavy fire showing from the 2nd and 3rd floors, rear of a large wood-frame OMD. Battalion 2 o/s confirming a Working Fire.

02:25hrs. - Engine 6 o/s reporting laying in from Brooks St. and Berkshire Ave. Engine 1 o/s for R.I.T.

02:27hrs. - Engine 15 o/s taking the hydrant at E. Main St. and Putnam St.

02:30hrs. - Mayday transmitted by a member on the 2nd floor. Firefighter requesting a ground ladder.

02:40hrs. - Battalion 2 reporting 2 3-story wood-frame OMD's now involved. Second fire building is the Exposure on the Bravo 1 side. Signal 30(2nd Alarm) transmitted.

2nd Alarm Assignment:

Engine 3, Engine 4
Tower Ladder 5
Deputy 1
Command/Air & Light/Rehab. Vehicle
Connecticut Canteen Unit 1

02:42hrs. - Evac. tones sounded.

02:50hrs. - Engine 4 responding on the 2nd Alarm.

02:53hrs. - Deputy 1 o/s assuming command.

02:54hrs. - Deputy 1 requesting UI(United Illuminating) forthwith for live wires laying across Engine 6. Engine 3 o/s laying in from E. Main St. and Berkshire Ave.

03:00hrs. - Deputy 1 reporting A/H/W. Numerous L/S/O's in both fire buildings. Engine 4 o/s taking the hydrant at E. Main St. and Pearl St.

03:09hrs. - Evac. tones sounded for exposure building.

03:23hrs. - UI o/s.

A comment on CTFire-EMS by a BFD Lt. from Tower Ladder 5:

"Guys, this was the home of one of our Rookie Firefighters and his Family. Reports are that they lost everything.

He really stepped up this morning and got some folks out and alerted others.

We are gonna be calling on the Firefighting community to help us raise some funds for him and his family to help get them back up on their feet.

Cause that's what we do... we take care of our own!

We have no specifics yet.. but we will be posting them shortly.

Stay Tuned!"

CT Post Article w/Photos and Video:

http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Inferno-engulfs-buidings-dozens-homeless-4820232.php