Brownstone Operations

L

lilax28

I'm reading the Brownstone and Rowframe Operations Book for a research paper I'm doing. I have a question regarding the "Dead Man's Room" in Brownstones. I've read previously that emphasis is usually put on that room (the room over the main entrance) because it has no second means of egress. But in the bulletin it says "Generally, the window over the main entrance opens into one small
room (on all upper floors). The other two windows open into a
large room which originally, and in many cases still is, connected
railroad fashion to other rooms deeper in the building. It is best to
select one of these windows for VES, instead of the window
over the main entrance."
This contradicts what I've heard before so I just wanted to see which is correct.
Thank You.

What are you confused about? The deadman's room is a single window room over the main entrance with a single entrance usually into a hall. 

I think that I understand what you are confused about.

There is emphasis on checking the deadman's room because often either the door to the hallway or the door to the rest of the apartment from this room has been blocked by furniture or sealed off - leaving anyone in that room potentially trapped in the event of a fire.  However, it is not the optimal use this window for VES for the same reason.  Now the firefighter ventilating or entering that room will most likely not have access to the full run of the apartment - only one small room - therefore not conducting the most effective ventilation, not conducting most effective search, and not providing a means of egress for civilians and firefighters inside who may have to leave the apartment via ladders.

Both must be done.