Cambridge MA church fire

Cambridge MA has a third alarm fire at the Faith Lutheran Church at 311 Broadway Street. Command reports heavy fire in the structure. This has now been upgraded to a fifth alarm with all companies going to an exterior attack.

CFD and the mutual aid companies got their moneys worth snuffing this one and keeping the structure still standing, though it appears most if not all of it will be demoed this week. Glad nobody got hurt.

Excellent video coverage, really shows the response and attack progression from start to finish. Very interesting.

There is an old saying in the Fire Service, that is often true, "Once a fire gets a good foothold in a church the Church is lost." Great experienced firefighters, from great fire departments at this 6th Alarm. But the many hidden voids and wood framing hidden by heavy plaster and often the Church itself is surround by graveyards and other obstructions to apparatus placement prove more than we can overcome. Take a look around your city or town most likely the oldest buildings around are the churches. As a firefighter for over 50 years the only chance we have of saving a church with developing fire is an aggressive interior attack if possible and if that is not possible Tower Ladder stream aimed into the interior of the main body of the church, the "Nave" via the Rose Window/s or other large windows to control the rapid flame development. It is heart breaking to brake priceless stained-glass windows, but one the heat of the fire reaches the leaded framing of the stained-glass if will be destroyed anyway and it may then be too late to save the church. I have taught church firefighting and I wrote an article on church fires, for the FDNYs "W.N.Y.F. Magazine
called "Unholy Smoke". The great FDNY Deputy Chief Vincent Dunn and many other firefighting "Pros" have a lot of information written down and online about fighting church fires. Do your homework!
I am a proud member of "Firefighters for Christ."
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired