Chicago Fire Department Classics.........

CFDMarshal said:
What is that telegraph sound they make? or better yet a typewriter sound?

"CFD", I would guess that's the sound of the old Pull Boxes coming in. When I visited a few of the FDNY Communications Offices back  years ago, that was the sound of those pull boxes coming into the Fire Alarm Office. In the NYC Offices, a light would also flash at the top of the circuit of which one it was coming into.
  Its just a guess but I think that's what it might be.

Bill, I watched it again and it looks like some kind of punch card or teletype activity after he flips several switches like opening up the voice alarm in the stations and this looks like the teletype? He does this standing with his right hand and you can see tape activity to the right foreground? Just wondering, Elwood

If by C.O. you mean communications Chicago has 2 dispatch offices. Main is for all calls basically north of 39th street, while Englewood is south of that line. Main is 154.13, Englewood is 153.77, and mutual aid frequencies are 154.265 and 154.280. 154.280 is basically south and southwestern burbs, 154.265 is western and northern burbs. :)

Chicago west side riots. I was assigned to Tan Son Nhut AB in Saigon in 68. First day in country was TET! When the assination of Rev. King was announced there was an immediate response from the enlisted personnel. There were two clubs for the lower ranks, one was taken over by the Afro/American community, the other was, well take a guess. Around 1900 (7PM for civies) the base CO called everyone together. Feelings were pretty high with several incidents. He said if you want to go fight somebody I will give you a M-16, 200 rounds of ammo and I will call in Hueys for all these "new volunteers" During this same time frame there was a problem in Boston with food stamps. Once again emotions were raised and the local agencies were called. There was a fire call and BFD's best responded, with L4-E23 first due. As units prepared to fight the fire gunshots run out. The officer of L23 was hit it in the hand. Ladder 4 was covering L-23 because of another fire call. The officer from L-4, acting L-23 was taken to the hospital where two fingers were amputated due to damage and blood loss. Because of this, tge officer was removed from fire duty because he could not climb an aerial ladder. This officer was a member of BFD's "Dandy Drillers". He was my uncle, (now deceased). This incident really impacted his career with BFD. :'( :mad: :(

Bulldog

Bulldog
CFDMarshal said:
Bill, I watched it again and it looks like some kind of punch card or teletype activity after he flips several switches like opening up the voice alarm in the stations and this looks like the teletype? He does this standing with his right hand and you can see tape activity to the right foreground? Just wondering, Elwood
He definitely flips the switches he then punches a card he and then taps on something as you hear the clacking sounds.  You could see it very clearly near the end when the fire at the banquet hall is sent out.  I wonder if it's an outgoing telegraph to the assigned stations?

gg... in regard to your reply # 10......i beleive i was introduced to your Uncle around '72 by Chief Bolger who was a Boston Holy Name Society member.

Thanks there "r1" for that Classic Chicago FD video. Riding the back step on those cold Chicago Nights, and no air packs. They were tough firefighters. I look at that now and wonder, "How did they do it" ?
  As a young kid in the 50s, although not on Chicago, my father was on the job then and it brought back a lot of Great Memories. If he was off duty, he would take me to the firehouse to pick up his paycheck. I sure used to like that. Sometimes he would buy me a soda from the soda machine. (at a cost of 10 cents).
  Thanks Jamie for that video.

Bulldog said:
CFDMarshal said:
He definitely flips the switches he then punches a card he and then taps on something as you hear the clacking sounds.  You could see it very clearly near the end when the fire at the banquet hall is sent out.  I wonder if it's an outgoing telegraph to the assigned stations?

I hear box 5558. Or some Chicago variant.

Chief Vinnie Bolger was one hell of a district chief. During Boston's war years his district, district 7, saw a unbeleivable amount of action. He was always respectful to the members of Boston's buff clubs. He was not happy when the mayor removed district chief's aides, his comment was first I have to drive to the fire, and then figure out how to put it out! But his language was a lot more saltier! ;D

Rob, the times I have been up there I didn't see an aide with the chief? I have seen a video where they had an aide so not sure . Maybe GG can enlighten us!