Chicago Fire Department Ordered To Hire Blacks Who Alleged Discrimination

Chicago Fire Department Ordered To Hire Blacks Who Alleged Discrimination
Categories: Legal
02:20 pm

May 13, 2011

by MARK MEMMOTT

The Chicago Fire Department was told by a federal appeals court today that it must hire 111 African-Americans who successfully argued that they were discriminated against in 1995.

And, the Chicago Sun-Times writes, the court ordered that "tens of millions of dollars" in damages be paid to 6,000 other blacks.

At issue, as we wrote a year ago, was the way the city handled a firefighters' entrance exam. The plaintiffs argued, the Sun-Times reports, that the test did not adequately measure the applicants' abilities and that the scoring system made it far more likely that white applicants would be hired.

Last year, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled unanimously that the plaintiffs' had not waited too long to bring their suit and sent the case back down to the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals. Today, that court handed down its decision.

And a second article...

The Chicago Fire Department must hire 111 bypassed black firefighter candidates ? and distribute ?tens of millions of dollars? in damages to 6,000 others who will never get that chance ? a federal appeals court ruled Friday, upholding a landmark ruling.

Last year, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled, in a 9-to-0 decision, that, contrary to the city?s contention, African-American candidates hadn?t waited too long before filing a lawsuit that accused the city of discriminating against them for the way it handled a 1995 firefighter?s entrance exam.

On Friday, the Seventh U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed that ruling and sent the case back to the trial court to implement what it called the ?hiring remedy? the city has been stalling.

Plaintiffs? attorney Joshua Karsh said the decision means Chicago must hire 111 African-American firefighters and adjust their pensions as if they had been on the job since 1995. Six-thousand others will share ?tens of millions of dollars? in damages, Karsh said.

?We won last June 9-to-0, which is unusual in a civil rights case,? Karsh said. ?We then had the city raise a dispute on what the Supreme Court?s opinion means. The Seventh Circuit agreed with us that hiring must now take place.

?The city gave a test back in 1995 that did not measure the abillity to be a firefighter. It made it more than six times more likely that white applicants would be hired rather than African-Americans with no job-related justification. Nothing about getting a high score on that test predicted anything about whether you?d be a superior firefighter.?

When results from the 1995 entrance exam were disappointing for minorities, the city established a cutoff score of 89 and hired randomly from the top 1,800 ?well-qualified? candidates.

In 2005, a federal judge ruled that the city?s decision had the effect of perpetuating the predominantly white status quo, since 78 percent of those ??well-qualified?? candidates were white.

Although the city has no choice but to start hiring black firefighters, outgoing Corporation Counsel Mara Georges called Friday?s ruling a ?partial win? for the city because it will reduce the amount of damages the city must pay to roughly $30 million.

?Our position was affirmed, in part, reducing one group of class members,? Georges said. ?It?s 21 fewer people, which does reduce the damages.

?We?re pleased that it was a partial victory, and we?re analyzing the rest of the decision to make a determination as to how we should proceed.?

One of those expected to be vying for the coveted 111 jobs is Handy Johnson, a 49-year-old personal trainer whose dream of becoming a Chicago firefighter was put off for so long that he?s nowy 10 years above the city?s age limit for new firefighter hires of 38 years old. Thats age limit won?t apply to the 111 new hires because the discrimination occurred before the cutoff was established.

That means Johnson has a chance, provided he?s lucky enough to be among those chosen randomly and physically fit enough to perform the strenuous job.

Johnson could not immediately be reached for comment Friday. But he still wants to be a firefighter, he said in an interview ater last year?s Supreme Court ruling.

?I?m still in excellent shape,? Johnson said. ?If they pick me, I should be given that chance. I do personal training. I?m a skill development coach for basketball and body conditioning. It?s a physically demanding job. I know I can do the job.

?I took that test wanting to have a job where I could give back to my community and establish a family tradition for my four sons. It was the job of a lifetime, but I was never given that chance. It was a huge slap in the face. Now, I feel a hundred pounds lighter. It feels like when you know you have all the odds stacked against you, but, in the end, God makes sure the righteous prevail.?

Friday?s ruling exacerbates a city budget crisis that Mayor-elect Rahm Emanuel, who will be sworn in on Monday, will inherit from Mayor Daley.

the greatest thing about this...it just killed any chance of me ever getting my dream job of being a big city firefighter.......I want to know whatever happened to the best qualified canidate.....this job does not discriminate if you can do the job you can do it......Its nice to know defending my country and joining the military first means nothing really in this world anymore......i have to go around to beg for work that I am certified and love to do.....it should be to join a big city fire dept you have to serve in the military.....now you are rejected for most work if you served or are currently serving in the military......

gg jr. ....do not lose hope...keep fighting for the dream...unite w/those who are in the same situation as you....it is certainly worth fighting for.

They had the lawyers on a local radio show today, man I am so confused. One of the complaints was that the test was discrimatory against blacks/minorities. In fact the test was developed by a minority company. Now I know I have a vested interest in this issue, but I think previous experience should count heavily towards employment. You are an employer and you have two applicants for an opening. App 1scored 98.1 on the test. App 2 scored 97.8 but has 4 years military ff exp plus another year as a contract ff operating in a war zone. Personally book smart/test smart people don't quite cut it. What does the NFL say about draft picks, looks good in sweats and shorts, but----. Just my 2 cents worth. I was a Forward Air Controller in SEA, we were the shephards of the troops under our control. Just being a shephard again. JMHO this whole hiring plan needs a lot of common sense. Don't care about color, sex, sexual orientation, it is 4 in the morning, I live on the fourth floor and my butt is getting warm! Come get me!!

Just thinking back to when I was turned down in 1980 for a ff job in Garden Grove, CA because I wore glasses at the time! Also wonder how much the attorney group made in the deal! I like the chief, hang with it GG, Jr. You will see your dream fulfilled!