Chicago Fire Dept and Obama election rally

Off-duty Chicago firefighters abd papamedics have been ordered to take all of their gear home with them to speeddeployment in the event of an emergency at Obama's giant election rally at Grant Park. The order begins next Wednesday and continues until November 6th. Firefighters have brrn ordered to take home gear that includes bunker gear, gloves, face mask, helmet, boots and breathing apparatus tank.

Spokesman said this order was prompted by the massive Obama rally. This way their gear would be with them instead of having to go to the firehouse to get their gear. They could be sent to any location with their gear already with them. It is a precautionary measure so they can respond if they have to in the unlikely event they would be required to report for duty.

The last time firefighters were ordered to take their gear home with them was in August when a south Side pumping was swamped by heavy rains raising concerns about widespread flooding. grumpy grizzly :)

Bulldog

Bulldog
Are they going to receive any compensation from the Obama campaign for this?  I wouldn't want to be carrying all my gear including SCBA around in my POV.  It would make the vehicle smell of smoke and the added weight would slightly effect gas mileage.  Not to mention the hassle of having to load and unload it multiple times.

no compensation... and they do not have to carry around SCBA's because there are not enough in the city for all firefighters (just gear and masks). I believe if they are called to work they will make overtime pay (time and a half)