Collapse Rescue

what I can’t believe is all the taxes the good people of New York City pay that the city can’t fund five dedicated hazmat units, five hazmat engine companies, five hazmat medic units and five hazmat latter support companies to form five hazmat task force to support the needs of the FDNY, and have their respected areas covered with all the money that comes in there. Are you telling me that this can’t be funded. i’m just curious on where all the money goes but I’m sure I have a good idea and it’s the people the citizens, the good old-fashioned New Yorkers that suffer and this puts wear and tear on other vehicles stress on members and when something does really really happen which we all know it has already 911 for example, that was just the taste and that’s very sad to say but something bigger can happen and the FDNY needs to be ready and prepared. That’s all I’m saying.
39 HazTac Ambulances
12 Hazmat Tech Engine & Squad Companies
29 CPC Ladder Companies

So this whole Collapse Rig on steroids thing…is that FDNY’s solution to the SSL’s going away?

I've heard before that the bid price for the rescues includes all new tools, so they basically have a ready to go rig. The old ones are kept as spares with all the tools on it so it makes switching to a reserve much easier. I would assume that when a new one went in service they would drop their old spare and by that point the tools on it could be up to 20 years old. Also the price for apparatus has gone through the roof. The engine I ride is a 2021 and it was $658k. Same exact spec for a 2023 engine is $1.2m pretty much doubled in price in 2 years. Production of the new rescues prob won't start for a couple years, so you also have to take in the price jump from now till then. Seagrave has had some issues lately of not being able to build the truck for what it was bid at. They've came back to a couple depts near me and said they needed more money to finish the truck. I'm one case it was $300k more. We've started to order rigs that won't be replaced till 2027 and beyond, just to get a place in the production line. I'm not in the fdny, so I'm only going by what I've been told and seeing the bid price it seems to make sense

I've heard before that the bid price for the rescues includes all new tools, so they basically have a ready to go rig. The old ones are kept as spares with all the tools on it so it makes switching to a reserve much easier. I would assume that when a new one went in service they would drop their old spare and by that point the tools on it could be up to 20 years old. Also the price for apparatus has gone through the roof. The engine I ride is a 2021 and it was $658k. Same exact spec for a 2023 engine is $1.2m pretty much doubled in price in 2 years. Production of the new rescues prob won't start for a couple years, so you also have to take in the price jump from now till then. Seagrave has had some issues lately of not being able to build the truck for what it was bid at. They've came back to a couple depts near me and said they needed more money to finish the truck. I'm one case it was $300k more. We've started to order rigs that won't be replaced till 2027 and beyond, just to get a place in the production line. I'm not in the fdny, so I'm only going by what I've been told and seeing the bid price it seems to make sense
Not just seagrave, so don't single them out like that. All manufacturers are doing the same thing

The old Mack FDNY rescues were great. They took a licking but kept on, in spite of the large number of responses. Why do we have to always have to do something entirely new. Take the old ideas that worked, update them and reuse what worked. FDNY should also look at the Heavy Rescue Very Heavy Tow Trucks that L.A.F.D. D.C.F.D. and Miami have and have had for years. This would reduce somewhat the weight that FDNY Heavy loads Rescue rigs must carry. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired.

RCL

When we speced an engine in 2005, and I'll never forget it, as we were in E-Ones office in Ocala at the time watching the Levees fail, we were told that the engine had to be ordered by a certain date, because of new emissions standards that were coming out. If we missed that date, the cost would jump 65,000 because of the emissions standards. The major manufacturers were buying as many engines as they could get there hands in to help offset that issue. Fast foward to 2015 and we were specing new engines again, and we were told that the price would go up again by a certain date. Emissions again. I asked our rep while we were at the factory to purchase our rigs, if they were buying additional engines to try and offset the issue again and he said they weren't allowed to by the feds. After what ever the date was, they had to use specific engines going foward. They couldnt put say a 2016 engine in a 2017 unit. Anyone want to guess what the emission surcharge would have been?

At one point a time, I remember there used to be an inventory list that was carried on the collapse rigs and the TSU‘s. Is that still around?

At one point a time, I remember there used to be an inventory list that was carried on the collapse rigs and the TSU‘s. Is that still around?
I have a tool inventory list from rescue-1 when they put their 2011 rig into service. Don’t think it changed much with their new rig.