DC Jonas's Division 7 Newsletter April 2019

Thanks Mike, I appreciate you posting the DC Jonas's Newsletters for us.

There is always something to learn from these newsletters.

CONTINUED REST IN PEACE TO FF KEVIN KANE ...( a Military Veteran & the Son of an FDNY Staff Chief) ....it is sad that 28 years later we are still fighting to have all ENGs staffed with 5 FFs which was an issue at this Fatal Fire ......after this Fire 1st Due LT Tony Variale
of ENG*290 (an experienced  FDNY Veteran) spoke out to the media about the ramifications of not having a 5th FF  & was "looked down upon" by HQ for speaking the truth & even later upon being Promoted to CPT was made to cover for an inordinate amount of time.

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/firefighter-kevin-kane-memorial-mark-barrett.html

https://doorcountypulse.com/new-duty-for-the-kevin-c-kane-nyc-fireboat-being-converted-in-baileys-harbor/

68jk09 said:
CONTINUED REST IN PEACE TO FF KEVIN KANE ...( a Military Veteran & the Son of an FDNY Staff Chief) ....it is sad that 28 years later we are still fighting to have all ENGs staffed with 5 FFs which was an issue at this Fatal Fire ......after this Fire 1st Due LT Tony Variale
of ENG*290 (an experienced  FDNY Veteran) spoke out to the media about the ramifications of not having a 5th FF  & was "looked down upon" by HQ for speaking the truth & even later upon being Promoted to CPT was made to cover for an inordinate amount of time.

Chief, your reference to Lt. Variale being harrassed for speaking the truth after a Firefighter was killed at a job, once again reminds me why I will always be proud of the men of the FDNY who over the many years of the department's existence, not only placed themselves in harm's way to save lives and protect property, but who also risked their careers, departmental charges or at the very least, getting or keeping the assignments they desired, by 'stepping up' and 'doing the right thing'. I remember an old timer who was an instructor for my proby class, emphasizing to us frequently to, "Always do the right thing." once we got into the field. His message was received and never forgotten. It's terrible seeing how many of those who accept staff chief assignments and commissioner appointments choose political correctness over doing the right thing for the safety of the members of the department as well as that of the public that we serve. Continued rest Firefighter Kevin Kane.