DC Jonas's Division 7 Newsletter November 2017

Thanks Mike. I remember reading about this ship fire and the plane crash in Station Island in Lt Hamilton's Book - "20,000 Alarms".

I always look forward to reading these newsletters that you provide for us. As we see, the Marine Operation of the FDNY is quite a well run organized function of the FDNY these days. I'm sure it is "The Largest Marine Unit Operation in the Country".

Well anyway, "Thank you young man", aka "mikeindabronx", for taking the time to put this on here for all of us to read. Always something to learn from the experiences of the FDNY.

mack

Administrator
Thank you Mike for posting another excellent newsletter.

The horrific plane crash and the Constellation fire were only 3 days apart.  One plane landed in Park Slope buildings and started a major multi-alarm fire with many victims.  The other plane missed buildings in Staten Island but still required a 2nd alarm.

Lt Hamilton was awarded the James Gordon Bennett Medal and Archer Medal and FF Polera was awarded the Brooklyn Citizens Medal for heroism at the Adelphi Fire. 

mikeindabronx said:
One of our prominent members name is in here, can you find it ?

Yes Mike. It is retired B/C Jack K., aka "68jk09", on here who contributed to this article.

Those of us who have met him over the years, appreciate all that he has done for so many of us. He enjoys talking about the job and treats everyone of us great. From the very first day I met him, he treated me with respect as a Brother Firefighter. Although let's face it. there's quite a difference from where I did the job and he did it.

Here's a little added note too..... Anytime one of us mentions "68jk09", to any member of the FDNY that knows or worked with him, they ALWAYS speak very highly of him. He has a Great amount of respect from everybody. I think that means something when your talking about the entire FDNY.

mack

Administrator
Chief K was also a member of two companies mentioned in the article which had prominent roles in the Constellation Fire - Rescue 2 and Ladder 108.

Chief K is one of the most remarkable people I have ever had the honor of knowing - an FDNY legend, a USMC veteran, a terrific individual and role model. 

mack said:

Constellation fire - Lt Hamilton was awarded the James Gordon Bennett Medal and Archer Medal and FF Polera was awarded the Brooklyn Citizens Medal for heroism.
Those members were awarded those medals for a fire on Adelphi Street in Brooklyn in 1970, not the Constellation fire.
FF Zuercher and Lt. Hamilton did receive medals for the Constellation fire.

mack

Administrator
t123ken said:
mack said:

Constellation fire - Lt Hamilton was awarded the James Gordon Bennett Medal and Archer Medal and FF Polera was awarded the Brooklyn Citizens Medal for heroism.
Those members were awarded those medals for a fire on Adelphi Street in Brooklyn in 1970, not the Constellation fire.
FF Zuercher and Lt. Hamilton did receive medals for the Constellation fire.

Thanks - made correction.

mack said:

The horrific plane crash and the Constellation fire were only 3 days apart.  One plane landed in Park Slope buildings and started a major multi-alarm fire with many victims.  The other plane missed buildings in Staten Island but still required a 2nd alarm.

Lt Hamilton was awarded the James Gordon Bennett Medal and Archer Medal and FF Polera was awarded the Brooklyn Citizens Medal for heroism at the Adelphi Fire.
I remember both fires very well.  I was a high school student at Loughlin HS  at Greene and Vanderbilt.  Brother Anselm told us about the plane crash on Sterling. Couldn't wait for school to end.  Hopped on the bus and found my way to the crash.  I can still picture the tail in the middle of  all the housing.

The Constellation fire:  Heard and saw companies passing the school all day heading to the Navy Yard.  After school I walked to the Navy yard.

Peace to all who passed those days and thanks for the heroic efforts of all responders

Kevin, was that Brother Anslem a short balding gentleman who wore glasses and walked very quickly? He was a teacher of Latin?

mack

Administrator
memory master said:
Kevin, was that Brother Anslem a short balding gentleman who wore glasses and walked very quickly? He was a teacher of Latin?

Maybe - https://pcullinan.smugmug.com/La-Salle-Academy-2nd-St-NY-La/Brothers-and-Others-gatherings/Brother-Cyprian-Anselms-50th/i-fh6Vjm6