During August 2019 Bronto and E/One were demonstrating a 200 foot plus Aerial Platform in NYC is there a thread here about it?

Some of you may know that there was a 200 plus foot Aerial Platform that was being demonstrated during August of 2019 in Manhattan by Bronto and E/One however I haven't been able to find a thread about that apparatus on this site. Is there such a thread on this site about the Extra Tall Aerial Tower that was being demonstrated over a year ago?

I understand that some representatives of the Toronto Fire Department were invited to see the demonstration and they recently ordered two new Bronto Skylift Aerial Towers. The first one is 135 feet tall and the second one is 230 feet tall. I understand that the one being demonstrated in New York City was even taller then that. Does anyone here know anything about that and if the FDNY is planning to eventually order a 200 foot plus Bronto Skylift? So far I haven't found anything about that demonstration on this site.

The tallest one they make is F112 for the world market that one reach 367 feet....and can use a 660gpm stream.... the tallest one i can find that they make along with E-one is F295HLA at 295 ft and 1000gpm stream..... the tallest one should reach somewhere around the 30-35th floor...that i asume would reach about atleast 90% of New Yorks buildings....so i guess having one or two would make sense...

Yes I have heard about the F 112 however all of the ones that you have just cited seem to be used and sold overseas. As far as ones that are Marketed by E/One the tallest one that I am familiar with is the 135 model. At least that is tallest one the E/One seems to advertise on its site.
Is the 295 footer marketed for the overseas market because I have not seen that model on E/Ones American website?.
Most of the Brontos that I have heard about in North America are the 114 foot model even though Calgary Canada did have a taller European style model for a while. As anything above 137 feet in North America is rare I was surprised to see that Toronto is purchasing a 230 foot model and I was even more surprised that it was being demonstrated in New York City as I haven't heard of any plans of the FDNY to purchase one.

Bulldog

Bulldog
While there are certainly some places where truck like this would be useful I really don't see it happening in FDNY. The units need to be set up very close to the building in order to be operated safely and reach their maximum operating height. Thus in New York City they would have to be quartered very close to their maximum target buildings. Also they would have to be manned 24/7 they would be in no later than the end units of the 1st alarm assignment. This just isn't going to happen for most of the high-rise structures in NYC. I could see a unit like a possibly being used for high-rise rescue etc. but not very much for firefighting.

Although I do think that the new large capacity pump truck they bought would have more usage this and it also probably cost a lot less any unit like this 1 would.

AJB

I got in touch with the FDNY a month or so ago about the test.

" On behalf of the Fire Commissioner, I am responding to your correspondence regarding the FDNY testing of the extended reach ladder. Currently the FDNY does not have any update to its test of the apparatus which took place back in August of 2019. It is currently in our Research and Development Department. The FDNY embraces new equipment and technology whenever it may be able to assist operations. "

With the financial condition of city (as well as the state) the department will be lucky to replace the rigs they have now.

I got in touch with the FDNY a month or so ago about the test.

" On behalf of the Fire Commissioner, I am responding to your correspondence regarding the FDNY testing of the extended reach ladder. Currently the FDNY does not have any update to its test of the apparatus which took place back in August of 2019. It is currently in our Research and Development Department. The FDNY embraces new equipment and technology whenever it may be able to assist operations. "
Thanks for your reply AJB.

Thanks for your reply AJB.
Very true R&D does embrace technology & do their diligence in testing to see if it will assist the brothers. The Bronto & E One I would think would be long way out for FDNY. They have to put it through a battery of test, situations, drills that would satisfy brass. But never say never?

I seem to remember that test took place not long after the Notre Dame Cathedral fire in Paris

Also of note on this side London Fire Brigade have recently taken delivery of 1 of 2 donated 64metre (209ft) Turntable Ladders built by Emergency One / Magirus on a Scania chassisFB_IMG_1615345177746.jpg

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1615345189976.jpg
    FB_IMG_1615345189976.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_20210310_030455.jpg
    Screenshot_20210310_030455.jpg
    531.9 KB · Views: 30
I guess part of the reason why the really tall aerials have gotten popular in some parts of the world recently is with the realization that some high rises have flammable cladding, following Grenfell Tower.
NYC, from what I can gather, doesn’t really seem have that problem, so perhaps there’s less of a need for them there.

If anyone is interested, below is a video of the fire department in Madrid, Spain operating at a high rise fire with burning cladding. They use at least a couple of tall Brontos for the exterior work.
One F70/230ft and one F53/174ft from what I can see.

It’s in Spanish but pretty interesting footage.

Toronto Fire Services has received their new 2021 Mack Granite / E-One Bronto F70RPX. A 70m (230 foot) elevating platform. The city council documents indicate a cost of about $3 000 000 CDN.

Toronto Fire Services has received their new 2021 Mack Granite / E-One Bronto F70RPX. A 70m (230 foot) elevating platform. The city council documents indicate a cost of about $3 000 000 CDN.
Here 'tis . . .

!!.jpg

I guess part of the reason why the really tall aerials have gotten popular in some parts of the world recently is with the realization that some high rises have flammable cladding, following Grenfell Tower.
NYC, from what I can gather, doesn’t really seem have that problem, so perhaps there’s less of a need for them there.

If anyone is interested, below is a video of the fire department in Madrid, Spain operating at a high rise fire with burning cladding. They use at least a couple of tall Brontos for the exterior work.

Another reason is that in London, for example, they don't have laws requiring standpipes or sprinkler systems in tall buildings.

These tall Brontos are usually sold as maintenance platforms-https://brontoskylift.com/first-s70xr-platform-in-the-us/

Thanks for posting this interesting footage of the High Bronto Elevating Plaforms that are being used in Madrid. I haven't been on this site for a while however I noticed that you posted it on my BIrthday.

Thanks for posting this relatively new photo of Toronto's new Bronto/Mack 230 foot High Platform. Well it looks like Toronto is probably going to have the Tallest Fire/Rescue Platform in North America for the time being. I know that Toronto is one of a very few cities in North America that had bought from and apparently still buys some Bronto Platforms.
I'm from Chicago and within the last 2 years the Chicago Fire Department purchased a 137 foot E/One rear mounted Aerial Ladder with a prepiped Waterway. Chicago had purchased two similar 135 foot E/One Aerial Ladders during the 1980's however the first one was totaled in a traffic accident and slid into a building and the second one became a spare rig for Aerial Tower 1 when it was replaced with a 105 foot Pierce Aerial Ladder with Prepiped Waterway in 2006.

In 1959/60 both the FDNY and the Chicago Fire Department had each purchased two each of Magirus 146 foot Aerial Ladders and both Cities had them built on Mack Chassis however New York's were builton Mack C Chassis and Chicago's were built on Mack B Chassis. Also the FDNY had retrofitted the 146 foot Aerials with Grove 100 foot Aerials about 10 years after the rigs were purchased, while Chicago had kept their 146 foot Aerials in tact until their rigs were retired in the mid 1970s.