E63/L39, Rescue and other stuff...

Is L39 still "temporarily" quartered with E63? Are they ever going to move back to their own quarters. Why did they relocate to E63 back in 06'?

Does anyone have an update (and pictures) for the new quarters for Rescue 3? Have they moved in yet?

Aside from Rescue 3, E277/L112 and E201/L114 is the city currently building anymore new firehouses?

One of the things I enjoy most about Fire Service history is the architecture of old (closed/inactive) firehouses. If anyone could help me out (with address/locations) to find some of these old firehouses, I'd appreciate it. I want to get pictures of them before they're gone forever....

...But...before anyone gets too gung ho...the ones I'm aware of are: E15,E31,E203,E204,E212,E215,E232 AND E278. I'm sure they're a ton more of them out there that I don't know about. Thanks for the help!

RM4

E3 and L12 used to be quartered in two seperate houses on 20th Street between Seventh and Eighth Avenues, one on the north side, the other on the south.  I've never been able to keep straight which company was in which house (I think that E3 was on the north side), but the one on the north side is now an employment agency for, I think, the building trades.  The one on the south side is closer to Seventh Avenue, but if you stand on the north side of the street you can pick it out.  Neither one is particularly notable in terms of architecture, but if you know what to look for they're easy enough to pick out.

There's another building on the north side of 21st between Eighth and Ninth that's now a private residence and has a plaque outside with something about it having been a firehouse in the 19th century.

The relocation is not temporary, L39 old quarters was demolished.  The current Firehouse on 233st is about to undergo major renovations to house E63, L39 and B15 permanently.  Rumor has it that the property L39 sat on in Woodlawn is going to be used for a new EMS station.

manhattan said:
E3 and L12 used to be quartered in two seperate houses on 20th Street between Seventh and Eighth Avenues, one on the north side, the other on the south.  I've never been able to keep straight which company was in which house (I think that E3 was on the north side), but the one on the north side is now an employment agency for, I think, the building trades.  The one on the south side is closer to Seventh Avenue, but if you stand on the north side of the street you can pick it out.  Neither one is particularly notable in terms of architecture, but if you know what to look for they're easy enough to pick out.

There's another building on the north side of 21st between Eighth and Ninth that's now a private residence and has a plaque outside with something about it having been a firehouse in the 19th century.
Actually Ladder 12 was on the northside at 243 W. 20th St. and Engine 3 was housed from 1960-67 on the southside at 216 W. 20th St. after their old house at 417 W. 17th St. house was demolished to build the NYCHA's Chelsea Houses.

Try the old quarters of Engine 27 (I believe) on Franklin Street in Tribeca.  I don't know what happened to that building.  A long time ago, Ladder 5 was on Charles Street in Greenwich Village.  I worked at the former Engine 248 house at 2261 Bedford Avenue, between Flatbush and Bedford until the new house was opened in 1972.  I remember when Engine 24 was on  Morton Street in Greenwich Village.

Engine 208 was on either Water Street or Front Street between the Manhattan Bridge and the Navy Yard; Engine 209 on Taaffe Place before they moved to their new house with Ladder 102 on Bedford Avenue.  The former Brooklyn headqurters on Jay Street was a great building architecturally.  The old quarters of Ladder 107 and later 175 on New Jersey Avenue or Vermont Avenue, near the entrance to the Jackie Robinson Expressway.

The now former quarters of Ladder 114 (Tally Ho) on Fifth Avenue around 54th Street.

I've seen that old firehouse on W 135 St. It may have been Ladder 30's old house when they were alone, not positive though.

johnd248 said:
Try the old quarters of Engine 27 (I believe) on Franklin Street in Tribeca.   I don't know what happened to that building.  A long time ago, Ladder 5 was on Charles Street in Greenwich Village.  I worked at the former Engine 248 house at 2261 Bedford Avenue, between Flatbush and Bedford until the new house was opened in 1972.  I remember when Engine 24 was on  Morton Street in Greenwich Village.
  All of the above are still standing, E27 was at 173 Franklin St., Ladder 5's old house at 102 Charles St. and E24 at 78 Morton St.

XLIVLIXXVIII said:
Passed by what looked like an old firehouse on W 135th St. just off Amsterdam Ave.

Whose quarters?
No FDNY fire house there but L23's old firehouse at 504 W. 140th St. is directly behind there present home at 503 W. 139th St. which was originally built for only E80 which was once a double engine company.

If you want to look up where many old firehouses were just go to: http://www.nyfd.com/cityhist.pdf   

mack

Administrator
Would anyone know if there was ever an FDNY unit in the building next to E 23 on W58th St?  It appears to be a firehouse. 

jbendick

Administrator
The building next to 23's quarters was once a carriage house for the wealthy living on 5th Ave. The firehouse was built in 1906.  I don't know when the carriage house was erected. I believe that it is a mix use occupancy.  I really never knew much about it.

Thanks for the help everyone.

G-man...I have been to the "city history" site often. I posted here to get some sort of confirmation that the old places still existed...I would hate to be chasing something down that has been long gone. Thanks again!

RM4

mack

Administrator
Thanks jbendick.  I always wondered if it was another city or fire patrol building.  I never knew wealthy people on 5th Ave.

johnd got half of the bradford st crew being L 175  ::).  Engine 332 was located at 657 Liberty Ave between Ashford and Cleveland Streets in the East New York section of brooklyn. The firehouse originally housed E 225 who moved into a new house with L 107 on Lincoln Ave also in east new york, brooklyn. As of last week when we relocated to E 332 both L 107 and E 332 old firehouses still stand, but both have had fire damage to them.

E63/L39 need those renovations badly!! That house is so tightly packed now.  Its a shame to see how all the men are jammed into that house.