Election night

I have memories as a kid of the annual election night bonfire,  right there on the middle of my street corner in the Bronx. The older boys would build it using cardboard boxes and wooden fruit crates gathered from the local "grocery stores" and "fruit markets" that greatly outnumbered the A&P or Grand Union super markets.

Election Day was a day off from school. Most of the mothers back then were "stay at home moms" so we were adequately supervised (even while stock piling the fodder for the bonfire). My mom worked as a poll taker but I don't know if she was paid for it. The polling place was old Mr Browns tailor shop on Oliver Place. He rented space in front of the clothing racks for the Board of Elections table where my mom sat checking the polling lists as people came in to vote and often pick up or drop off their clothes. (Mr Brown kept open for business.) The voting machines were located back behind the racks. Like any youngster, my imagination ran wild with what the adults might be doing behind that closed curtain of the booth. (See " The Wizard of Oz".) My mom let me peek inside them one year to further my civic education.

The lines to vote grew long when the men came home from work. All the bars were closed until the polls closed at 8:00 pm. After they went home for supper the lines formed again outside the local taverns (it was an Irish neighborhood). With the men otherwise entertained and the moms putting the babies to bed we boys were free to light the bonfire.

The bonfire custom was centuries old, supposedly to dispose of the ballots but also known as destroying the evidence. The FDNY ran crazy that night, rivaling July 4th as the busiest night of the year. They often put two men on the hose wagons as roving patrols through the neighborhoods.

My corner bonfire always ended by a visit from Engine Company 79. I even recall their Ward LaFrance wagon showing up and the men put out the fire with a length of 1 1/2" hose hooked up directly from the hydrant. The fires were so hot they would scar the asphalt in the street.

My first memory is of Election Day 1952, all the kids shouting the catchy "I Like Ike" (Eisenhower) even though all our parents were Democrats for Stevenson.  The bonfire custom just petered out by the time I was in high school. But it was always an exciting night for any young street kid in the Bronx.

Thanks for posting that; nicely done.  I especially like "...destroying the evidence."  Some things never change.

mack

Administrator
3511 - Thanks.  Great memory.  NYC neighborhoods, election day, pride in being American.  Too bad people don't even know their neighbors any more, let alone having anything in common with them.  Facebook, cable TV and video games are more important than voting.   

Thanks guys.  To your point, mack, only 23% of registered voters went to the polls in last year's NYC Mayoral election. DiBlasio got 72% of that, which means he was elected by 17% of the electorate.

In 1953, 93% of registered voters turned out to elect Robert Wagner as mayor..

"The people have spoken and now they will be punished", said Ed Koch.

True about low voter turnout....a real shame ....in & out in 5 minutes @ my polling place & the wrong people got in anyway.....too much complacency.....as far as Election night in days of old......  Election nights back up into the '60s....Red Hook would go nuts w/large bonfires & once the wood for bonfires ran out then many  vacant bldg Fires.... 202/101 & 279/131 would have double & triple sections for the Election Eve consisting of spare rigs manned by details from all over the Job (no ot in those days).....anybody who showed up w/gear was allowed to ride/work.....always plenty of action.

Another change in the times 68jk. Back in the 50's the bonfire event might last a half hour. It was capped off by the arrival of Engine 79. What debris they did not wash to the curb we boys moved it there, often supervised by the men returning from the taverns (with a few pops in them). Then everyone went home. No riots no demonstrations. Just some traditional fun.

I am glad that finally the elections have passed. Here in Illinois we had an election for governor. For the past six months it has been nothing but negative ads repeated over and over and over. The only things never brought up was marriage infidelity and drug/liquor use, everything else was fair game. He did this, he won't do that, he paid no taxes, he won't release his returns. If you keep hearing the same crap day after day eventually you dis-regard it and tune it out, unfortunately the politicians do not understand that.

I don't know how the TV stations are going to make ends meet now that the politico ads are done.  No one will miss them.

3511 said:
Thanks guys.  To your point, mack, only 23% of registered voters went to the polls in last year's NYC Mayoral election. DiBlasio got 72% of that, which means he was elected by 17% of the electorate.

In 1953, 93% of registered voters turned out to elect Robert Wagner as mayor..

"The people have spoken and now they will be punished", said Ed Koch.

3511, I agree with you completely.  An important addition to those numbers, at least a few years back, was that only about 40% of potential voters in New York City had even bothered to register, so each of your percentages is even more dismal.  I doubt very much if things have improved since those numbers were researched.

mack

Administrator
Where I live now - Virginia - you register at Motor Vehicles - no ID asked for.  At poll, you give name and address - no ID asked for.