EMS TRIAL

anesti said:
last try lol was this it??

2d6m9g9.jpg

Anesti, yes, that was also the kind I was talking about.

79/37/27, you are also correct. There were EMS SOD units out of Station 33 in Brooklyn. That was also what I was referring to earlier. I think Station 33 had a MERV also.

Here is the Ex nypd esu unit assigned Emergency response squad 1
12575hv.jpg
A Bill Dennis photo

White wheels on the left; black wheels on the right ? ? ?  Split personality?  Diversity?  Don't think it's road grime.

Not sure if the pics were taken around the same time or diffrent years lol, nfd2004 might be able to explain lol

Nothing wrong with the eye sight of that "Raybrag". I never noticed the color of the wheels.

"Anesti", that picture was taken the same time. If possible, I would try to get the drivers side front, and the passengers side rear. Giving a full over all view of the rig.

I think I took that picture while it was parked at the FDNY Fire Academy. On my buff trips, that was usually my first stop. I'd walk around the place with my camera and scanner getting all the pictures I wanted. It's not like that nowadays. Security is a high priority now and that is quite understood. In fact, even getting in there for our last Get Together was a very difficult thing to do. It was only through the efforts of site owner/FDNY Lt Tommy Bendick that it was possible. And that was after putting the request in writing by him.

Getting back to that rig photo, I believe that was the rig assigned to the EMS/ESU. I think prior to the FDNY/EMS merger, that rig was also assigned to the Health and Hospitals as the NYC EMS/ESU in the white, blue and orange color. 

Willy, last thing I'd want to do is question you . . . but . . . if it's an EMS unit, why does it say "Haz-mat Operations" on it?

raybrag said:
Willy, last thing I'd want to do is question you . . . but . . . if it's an EMS unit, why does it say "Haz-mat Operations" on it?

I don't know. But once again my friend, you got better eyes than I have. I didn't even notice that.

EMS SOD (Special Operations) did decon back then. There also was a decon semi-trailer which was stored at the 58th street, Maspeth, facility. In that trailer were the showers, etc. The ancient International cab forward tractor could just about pull it. One night while going over the Tri-Boro bridge RFK now) from Queens to the Bronx I was in first gear going up to the main span. I jus made it up. Thank God I didn't need a lower gear. Anyway, one fine day I was told to transport the trailer to "red square" to have it weighed and then take it to the fire house on Bradford street (I think) and leave it there. That was when FD took control of it. (I'm sure they had a better tractor!) With regard to the orange/white utility truck with the push bumper, it was one of the roadside mechanics vehicles at the start of it's career.
The "Jimmy's" were used by EMS Patrol bosses and the short lived PRU's. Those vehicles were horrific. If you hit at bump in the road all four wheels were in the air.

Thanks MM for that info.

Let me just add, I had talked to EMS/ESU members and I was told that they were paramedics additionally trained as Rescue Medics, and received additional training as Haz Mat Techs, High Angle Rope Rescue and Confined Space Rescue. They told me their job was to stabilize patients with medical issues under these conditions. I had talked to them when they were assigned to EMS Station 33 in Brooklyn.

Then I also remember reading somewhere what they had told me. Am I right when I do believe that was also true once the FDNY merged with NYC Health and Hospitals ?

Beats me.  But I've gotta admit that the '90 or so Ford we're talking about has both the EMS cross and the "Haz-Mat Operations" logos on it.  Ain't it grand that we don't have anything better to do?

raybrag said:
Beats me.  But I've gotta admit that the '90 or so Ford we're talking about has both the EMS cross and the "Haz-Mat Operations" logos on it.  Ain't it grand that we don't have anything better to do?

Just think Ray, if "fdce54" had retired like he said he was going to, he could be doing the same thing as us instead of being out in the cold.

But getting back to the original subject, I believe this unit was referred to as "Haz Tac 1" on the EMS Citywide channel. That included once the FDNY and EMS merger took place. I remember hearing them responding to multiple alarm fires. Again, it's been awhile.

anesti said:
Didn't ems control hazmat and decon back then??
Not sure what time frame you are refering to in your question but as far as Haz Mat in NYC it was initially handled by the Rescue Companies with meager resources consisting of a DOT guidebook & rubber waders ...rubber jacket ...rubbers drawstring hood & the original Scott Mask w/non positive pressure Wilson face piece.....some of the seat of the pants SOP's that we carried out back then would today most likely result in heavy fines if not arrest today ......in the '80s prior to the formation of HM*1 R*4 was given training & a Second Piece which i believe was a used Dept Mechanics Rig.....they were assigned to HM incidents.....the other Rescue's (1..2..& 3 (no 5 yet) were given an upgraded exposure suit to be coupled w/the new (at that time) 4.5 Scott Mask's but basically still only the DOT guidebook to refer to.....even though R*4 had been designated the HM Unit we still wound up encountering incidents .....when HM*1 was organized they had state of the art training & equipment & assumed the full role of handling a HM incident (of course if life was involved necessary measures would still be initially implemented w/in safety limits) ....the addition of the modern SQ's HM capability & the formation of the HM ENGs bolstered the FDNY's HM resource..... the HAZ MAT BN  formed right after 9-11 is operational & responds 24-7  as well.....i have not kept up  w/the FD EMS structure or the NYPD or PAPD or any other agency that is also involved today.

nfd2004 said:
raybrag said:

Just think Ray, if "fdce54" had retired like he said he was going to, he could be doing the same thing as us instead of being out in the cold.

But getting back to the original subject, I believe this unit was referred to as "Haz Tac 1" on the EMS Citywide channel. That included once the FDNY and EMS merger took place. I remember hearing them responding to multiple alarm fires. Again, it's been awhile.
I wasn't bored today. I had plenty of excitement to keep me going. :eek:

NFD, the "Rescue Medics" came about way after the merger from HHC to Fire. Unfortunately "Rescue Medic" units are very few through out the five boros.

If you go on FDNY Trucks.com,there are pictues of various ems units,some new and some from years back-maybe the units you are discussing are shown on there-just a thought

On a different note, I'm wondering what this "reshuffle" of EMS brass is all about? There was an article in this past Saturday's Daily News. I'd post it but my computer skills are of etch-a-sketch quality.