Engine 45

The Rapid Water markings on the new rig, is that just a throw back to the old days or is the job experimenting with RW again?

Photo credit to Bill Thompkins.

No doubt a reference to the Eagles ability to get water on a fire with rapidity.  And when you run in with the "Rapid Axes"...
  Creative.

l think l was told it was it was something added to the water... not sure if l remember correctly though... 2 of the pumpers in the 70's  here had that on them and l asked a firefighter.....

l just Googled "Rapid Water" on fire engines and found something called " Slippery Water"  so l assume it's similar....  small amounts of a  chemical added to water to make it flow with less resistance and therefore more quickly through hoses....

From what I recall, back c1970 three innovations in water delivery were adopted. 

1) Rapid Water aka Slippery Water, a wetting agent that enhanced the flow prob by reducing surface tension thus friction loss. It was introduced into the pump via a proportioner similar to foam concentrate.  The trade name "slippery" was appropriate, as it was reported members were slipping and sliding and being injured after losing their footing on the wet surfaces.

2) I'm no expert on hydraulics, but a new type of "constant flow" nozzle was tried, which was supposed to increase the gpm delivery at the nob.  This was different from the "NPO" or "No Pump Operator" gadget  whereas adjustments at the nozzle, relayed instructions [maybe via RF] to the pump panel.  I think E257 and maybe E298 used this experimental rig for a spell.

3) Converting from 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" hose for increased gpm. 

Any one of these methods would have possibly given the desired effect.  Trying all three at once was probably overkill.

I won't swear to any of this, but it is how I remember it.  Other comments welcome.

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/01/12/science/slippery-water-mystery-seems-finally-solved.html

I turned the nozzle on, and turned the nozzle off when the fire went out.....that?s all I know

811 basically correct above...The terms slippery water & rapid water are the same thing but FDNY adopted the rapid water term as their identifying logo & used the sperm like decal  pictured above to identify a particular ENG as being rw capable...it was also used for riot control in some (outside of NY) Police Depts where it was called instant banana peel...it came in 5 gallon plastic cans like foam solution still does...a  rw equipped ENG had a tank to hold the solution & a proportioner to inject the solution into the water at the Pumper.....along with the rw came the switch to 1 3/4" Polyester Hose as an attack line replacing the old cotton jacketed 1 1/2" hose .....the polyester did not have to be dried & could be repacked wet eventually eliminating the need for a Hose Tower or a Hose Dryer in the FH....adopting the 1 3/4 " was the good thing & it still is good today but the down side was that the rw solution could be dangerous especially if disproportioned .....several Members suffered career ending injuries slipping on it...i was at more than one job where when the line was bled as the door was being forced it made the tile or linoleum hall floor like ice....the overall program also resulted in reducing ENG manning by a FF since theoretically it took less FFs to operate the line....well the rw went bye bye but the FF never was replaced....i still feel it was basically another scam to reduce manning....busy ENGs went from 6 to 5 FFs because of it.....as i said the 1 3/4" hose that remains is good & a Ghetto Blaster a 15/16th" smooth bore bored out to  1 1/8th" with a 6" brass tip & a pistol grip & proper pressure does an even better job than rw ever did. 

Thanks jk for the additional, I knew we could count on you.

Further info on the NPO pumper(s) referenced above:  In 1973 Grumman installed the NPO system in a 1968 Mack CF pumper assigned to Engine 257.

In 1977 Grumman outfitted a 1975 Mack CF with the NPO system.  This was the second NPO rig and was assigned to Engine 298.

Above info is from Wheels of the Bravest - THE definitive reference on FDNY apparatus - from Fire Apparatus Journal Publications.

Photos in that edition show a decal similar to the Rapid Water logo, but slightly different, on these two rigs.  Would anyone have a photo to post?

FDNYSTATENISLAND said:
Interesting info about the RW. what would determine which engines had RW?
They started with the busiest ENGs but i am not sure if all ENGs eventually were equipped with it before the rw demise but i know all the Ghetto ENGs that i worked with had it during that era in the '70s.....all ENGs to this day certainly do benefit from the 1 3/4" hose even with reduced manning.

68jk09 said:
FDNYSTATENISLAND said:
Interesting info about the RW. what would determine which engines had RW?
They started with the busiest ENGs but i am not sure if all ENGs eventually were equipped with it before the rw demise but i know all the Ghetto ENGs that i worked with had it during that era in the '70s.....all ENGs to this day certainly do benefit from the 1 3/4" hose even with reduced manning.
Thank you