Exit Numbers

Perhaps the FDNY dispatchers on this site would be able to shed some light on this question. I have been out of the main loop, so to speak, for a good while and I notice that highway runs are now dispatched over the air with exit numbers rather than street locations. For example, 'Grand Central Parkway at exit 17' as opposed to 'Grand Central Parkway at 168 street.' Is there a reason for this change or is it a memory test (lol) for exit numbers. Thanks in advance and have a safe day.

I could be wrong, but one reason might be, that?s the way the report was called in to the dispatcher.
It?s also easier, for the caller, since street signs are not always visible from the highways (elevated or below street level & at night.
It also may be SOP for the dispatcher.

Den114...Totally agree.  Way back when, phone alarms were called in from stationary phone booths.  The dispatcher could ask exactly where you were.  Nowadays, the caller is probably in his/her car...not particularly aware of what street he/she is passing.  By the time the call is correctly routed, he/she may have driven a few miles...or a few feet depending on traffic...lol.  In any event, they are more apt to know the exit rather than the specific location.  That's why dispatchers (used to, maybe still do) send units from both directions.  A report of an MVA on the FDR Drive at 14th Street would get both 28/11 coming up from the south and 16/7 heading down from the north.  Oftentimes we'd pass each other, shrug our shoulders and go home.  Stay safe.

I am not exactly sure of the current SOP but years ago Street names rather than exit numbers seemed more prevalent..... i feel that Street names are more reliable especially for a relocater from out of the area JMO .....the problem on a Highway sometime is the caller is not familiar where they exactly are when calling it in & use a sign as a reference but leave out the 1 1/2 mile from part.

The highways can be entered either way
If the person gives an exit # and you enter that into the street field it will give you a choice of those exits in the boro that coincide. 
For instance.    exit 15  Belt pkwy-erskine st e should give Brooklyn box 8629

Or you can put it in with the highway first and type the name of the street in the cross streets.
Belt pkwy. In the street field.    Erskine st as the cross street eastbound should give the same box number.

As for how it?s announced, it seems to be the preference of the person on the radio

All true. We, 114, back ?then? used to respond to the Gowanus Expressway. Most of the time, if we didn?t get an exact location or direction, we would raise our bucket, without putting the tormentors or outriggers down, to see where the accident was & then reseat bucket & head there.
  Years later, we were taken off the highway boxes & 109 would respond heading North & 101 heading South. Both sides covered with rigs up there.