FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies - 2nd Section

mack

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 8, 2009
Messages
7,932
FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies - 2nd Section - Thread continues 1st Section 

Many FDNY and NYC firehouses and berths served as quarters for FDNY, Brooklyn FD, Long Island City FD, fire patrols, police, airport, federal, military, commercial and volunteer departments and companies.  The original sheds which housed the first fire companies formed to protect NYC in the late 1700s and early 1800s are gone.  But many of the original firehouses built by the volunteer departments, FDNY, Brooklyn and LIC in the mid and late 1800s still exist - some operate as active firehouses, some serve community, business or housing purposes.  Current FDNY firehouses include historic and new state-of-the-art fire stations.  This thread is dedicated to the firehouses, their companies, their apparatus, their histories and the firefighters who served in them.
 

mack

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 8, 2009
Messages
7,932
Directory - FDNY Firehouse and Company Look-Up - Firehouse Thread 1 and Thread 2 Locations
- compiled by fdhistorian

Company Page (Note - Pages 2-00+ are from 2nd Section Thread)

ENGINES

Engine 001 70,113
Engine 002 35,2-09
Engine 003 138
Engine 004 6,2-44,2-45
Engine 005 57,2-59,2-60
Engine 006 2-20
Engine 007 31,113,2-41
Engine 008 5,44,2-06
Engine 009 7,2-41,2-50
Engine 010 1,5
Engine 011 111,2-04
Engine 012 124
Engine 013 75,92,139,2-43,2-68
Engine 014 93,2-43
Engine 015 19,20,133
Engine 016 34,2-41,2-42,2-52
Engine 017 16,20,38,82,133
Engine 018 29
Engine 019 67,2-37
Engine 020 4,25,139
Engine 021 7,2-64
Engine 022 9,2-53
Engine 023 2-14,2-23
Engine 024 24,2-55
Engine 025 2-19
Engine 026 57,2-43
Engine 027 121
Engine 028 89,111,2-43
Engine 029 7,113
Engine 030 31,2-64,2-65
Engine 031 84,87
Engine 032 96
Engine 033 4,10,2-43
Engine 034 7,57
Engine 035 49,50,2-16
Engine 036 49,50,143
Engine 037 18,2-43
Engine 038 2-19
Engine 039 8,15,75,2-43
Engine 040 6,118,145
Engine 041 13,2-03
Engine 042 67,2-73
Engine 043 2-29
Engine 044 49,50,2-43
Engine 045 88,141
Engine 046 141,2-44,2-45
Engine 047 51,2-35
Engine 048 2,45,106,2-50
Engine 049 8,120,145
Engine 050 21,2-49
Engine 052 1,2-53,2-54
Engine 053 100
Engine 054 2-37
Engine 055 87
Engine 056 74
Engine 058 146
Engine 059 2-36
Engine 060 131
Engine 061 8
Engine 062 141,2-77
Engine 063 46,77,124
Engine 064 2-34,2-35
Engine 065 44
Engine 067 93
Engine 068 2-35
Engine 069 9,64,118,2-43,2-58,2-59
Engine 070 9,114
Engine 071 68,118,2-40
Engine 072 52,127,128
Engine 073 14,42,140
Engine 074 73,74,2-43
Engine 075 139
Engine 076 11,2-55
Engine 079 25,2-68
Engine 080 145,2-43
Engine 081 42
Engine 082 14,111,2-09,2-52
Engine 083 2-01,2-02
Engine 084 2-04
Engine 085 20,140,2-09,2-14,2-49
Engine 088 82,2-69
Engine 089 61,145
Engine 090 63,2-72
Engine 091 482-57
Engine 092 2-11
Engine 093 76
Engine 094 13,31,2-39
Engine 095 2-27
Engine 096 2-27
Engine 097 46
Engine 151 4,125,2-54
Engine 152 29,125,2-61,2-62
Engine 153 57,2-08
Engine 154 28,123,147,2-47
Engine 155 29,2-36
Engine 156 1,19,125,2-57
Engine 157 12,125,2-67
Engine 158 27
Engine 159 29,125
Engine 160 29,133
Engine 161 2,125
Engine 162 125,135
Engine 163 121
Engine 164 35
Engine 165 25,122
Engine 166 88
Engine 167 53
Engine 168 28,2-48
Engine 201 32,2-48,2-49
Engine 202 12,80
Engine 203 93,2-40
Engine 204 4,13,79,2-51
Engine 205 3,36,40,2-46
Engine 206 32,132
Engine 207 119
Engine 208 76,2-69
Engine 209 18,58,60,118
Engine 210 13
Engine 211 33,35,2-45
Engine 212 30,134,2-45
Engine 213 14,81,2-59
Engine 214 9,25,2-25,2-26
Engine 215 70,134
Engine 216 80,2-38,2-71
Engine 217 60,2-56
Engine 218 81,2-21
Engine 219 19,24,136,137
Engine 220 77,2-48
Engine 221 9,2-34,2-43
Engine 222 57,2-51
Engine 224 38,2-47
Engine 225 51,131,2-60,2-61,2-67
Engine 226 54
Engine 227 24,90,111,2-48
Engine 228 122
Engine 229 81,134,135
Engine 230 66,2-47,2-52
Engine 231 40,2-22,2-48
Engine 233 93,2-50
Engine 234 32,90,2-53
Engine 235 89,113
Engine 236 90,2-74
Engine 237 13,40,2-43
Engine 238 13,25,133
Engine 239 123
Engine 240 13,2-07
Engine 241 54
Engine 242 96
Engine 243 70,92,114
Engine 244 57, 2-13
Engine 245 1,44, 2-13
Engine 246 14,60,138,2-50
Engine 247 70,2-77,2-78
Engine 248 12,72,73,119,2-47
Engine 249 39,72
Engine 250 93
Engine 251 6,11,90,2-45
Engine 252 55
Engine 253 19
Engine 254 10,42
Engine 255 62, 2-18,2-19
Engine 256 129, 2-14
Engine 257 26
Engine 258 2-18
Engine 259 3,27,115
Engine 260 12,21
Engine 261 78,136,2-14,2-56
Engine 262 2-26
Engine 263 11,2-39,2-42
Engine 264 3,20,2-65
Engine 265 6,7
Engine 266 6,10,2-07
Engine 267 10,31,2-07
Engine 268 31,122
Engine 269 27
Engine 270 4,81
Engine 271 12,2-63
Engine 272 2,43
Engine 273 2-25
Engine 274 3,6,2-75
Engine 275 118,131,2-54
Engine 276 124
Engine 277 76,2-70
Engine 278 2-25
Engine 279 96
Engine 280 31,2-26
Engine 281 116
Engine 282 2-35
Engine 283 64,2-46
Engine 284 712-46
Engine 285 30
Engine 286 38
Engine 287 4,57,61,67,110,2-01
Engine 288 19,38,57,2-40
Engine 289 3,53,2-66
Engine 290 2-33,2-34
Engine 291 2-19
Engine 292 36,110,2-01
Engine 293 2-08
Engine 294 79
Engine 295 43,111
Engine 296 10,44,99
Engine 297 146,147
Engine 298 118,2-54
Engine 299 88,118,2-54
Engine 301 2-25
Engine 302 35
Engine 303 2-23
Engine 304 71
Engine 305 50
Engine 306 38,67
Engine 307 29,2-50
Engine 308 95
Engine 309 94
Engine 310 97
Engine 311 85
Engine 312 135
Engine 313 60,2-60
Engine 314 97
Engine 315 2-05
Engine 316 124
Engine 317 123
Engine 318 44
Engine 319 42,43
Engine 320 94
Engine 321 38
Engine 323 52
Engine 324 53
Engine 325 92,2-39,2-40
Engine 326 1,71
Engine 327 14,60,138
Engine 328 3,20,2-65
Engine 329 27
Engine 330 97
Engine 331 10,63,125
Engine 332 10,50,51,2-62,2-63

LADDERS
Ladder 001 31,113
Ladder 002 5,206
Ladder 003 4,57,94
Ladder 004 2-37
Ladder 005 24,2-55,2-56,2-68
Ladder 006 2-41
Ladder 007 2-42
Ladder 008 31,99
Ladder 009 10,2-43
Ladder 010 7,31,113
Ladder 011 89,111,2-43
Ladder 012 138
Ladder 013 9,29,2-53
Ladder 014 49,50,2-16,2-45
Ladder 015 1,5,2-44
Ladder 016 8,15,75,2-43
Ladder 017 131
Ladder 018 16,20,21,82,133
Ladder 019 21,2-49
Ladder 020 75,2-68
Ladder 021 7,57
Ladder 022 11,2-55
Ladder 023 145,2-43
Ladder 024 70
Ladder 025 73,74,2-40
Ladder 026 145,146
Ladder 027 141,2-44,2-45
Ladder 028 9,2-43,2-58
Ladder 029 2-01,2-02
Ladder 030 2-36
Ladder 031 14,111,2-09,2-52
Ladder 032 21,46,141,2-77
Ladder 033 139
Ladder 034 2-04
Ladder 035 6,118,145
Ladder 036 2-27
Ladder 037 25,2-68
Ladder 038 82,2-69
Ladder 039 9,46,64,93,118,124,145,2-59
Ladder 040 18,2-43
Ladder 041 63,2-72
Ladder 042 14,42,140
Ladder 043 48,100
Ladder 044 2-11
Ladder 045 76,93
Ladder 046 42
Ladder 047 2-34,2-35
Ladder 048 13,31,2-39
Ladder 049 2-35
Ladder 050 61
Ladder 051 2-19
Ladder 052 1,2-53,2-54
Ladder 053 9,52
Ladder 054 2-27
Ladder 055 68,118
Ladder 056 67,2-73
Ladder 057 47,129
Ladder 058 88,141
Ladder 059 20,140,2-29,2-49
Ladder 060 47
Ladder 061 55
Ladder 076 4,125
Ladder 077 57,2-08
Ladder 078 29,54,125,2-36
Ladder 079 19,125,2-68
Ladder 080 12,2-67
Ladder 081 29,125,133
Ladder 082 135
Ladder 083 121
Ladder 084 35
Ladder 085 25,122,125
Ladder 086 88
Ladder 087 52
Ladder 101 12,80
Ladder 102 18,59,60,118,2-75,2-74,2-75
Ladder 103 14,19,87,2-33,2-34,2-39
Ladder 104 9,35,2-34
Ladder 105 7,24,136
Ladder 106 13,25,133
Ladder 107 48,50,2-60,2-61
Ladder 108 39,2-38,2-61,2-71
Ladder 109 54
Ladder 110 119
Ladder 111 9,25,2-25,2-26,2-70
Ladder 112 76
Ladder 113 39,72
Ladder 114 32,51,2-48,2-49
Ladder 115 2-18
Ladder 116 78,136,2-56
Ladder 117 11,2-39,2-42
Ladder 118 36,2-46
Ladder 119 11,33,35,2-45,2-53
Ladder 120 40,2-22,2-48
Ladder 121 6,7,10,31,2-07
Ladder 122 77
Ladder 123 90
Ladder 124 12,2-63
Ladder 125 81,2-05
Ladder 126 25,2-23
Ladder 127 118,2-54
Ladder 128 27,115
Ladder 129 2-25
Ladder 130 10,44,99,146,147
Ladder 131 96
Ladder 132 31,2-26
Ladder 133 131
Ladder 134 3,20,2-65
Ladder 135 38
Ladder 136 36,38,57,61,67,110,2-01
Ladder 137 31,122
Ladder 138 2-66
Ladder 139 Never organized
Ladder 140 2-19
Ladder 141 Never organized
Ladder 142 30
Ladder 143 79
Ladder 144 43,111
Ladder 145 Never organized
Ladder 146 81,134,135
Ladder 147 116
Ladder 148 2-35
Ladder 149 71
Ladder 150 2-25
Ladder 151 50
Ladder 152 38,67,88
Ladder 153 42
Ladder 154 29,2-50
Ladder 155 35,95
Ladder 156 124
Ladder 157 62,2-18
Ladder 158 85
Ladder 159 94
Ladder 160 71
Ladder 161 1,57
Ladder 162 71
Ladder 163 92,135,2-39,2-40
Ladder 164 60,2-60
Ladder 165 123
Ladder 166 44
Ladder 167 38,94
Ladder 168 70,92,114
Ladder 169 14,60,138,2-50
Ladder 170 26
Ladder 171 27,111
Ladder 172 97
Ladder 173 63,125
Ladder 174 97
Ladder 175 48,50,2-61,2-62,2-63
Ladder 176 20,74,93,138
TCU 712 2-14,2-49
TCU 732 2-50,2-70
TCUs 75



COMBINED FIRE COMPANIES
CFCs 127


BATTALIONS
BC01 31,113
BC02 24,84,87,2-55,2-63
BC03 13,14,31,75,2-09,2-39,2-68
BC04 16,20,133
BC05 29,31,75,2-64,2-65,2-68
BC06 4,57,93,94
BC07 29,138,2-09
BC08 5,44,2-06
BC09 2-37
BC10 9,13,29,2-03,2-53,2-63
BC11 11,18,2-55,2-63
BC12 49,50,143
BC13 76,2-04
BC14 131
BC15 9,46,124,2-77
BC16 9,145,146,2-43,2-58,2-59
BC17 21,67,2-11
BC18 73,88,141
BC19 139
BC20
BC21 29,2-08,2-61,2-62
BC22 12,19,125,2-67
BC23 2-74
BC24 13,2-59
BC25 48,2-57,2-58,2-74
BC26 21,42,68,2-74
BC27 13,14,25,40,2-09,2-42,2-68
BC28 12,57,2-42,2-63,2-64
BC29 50,90,2-62
BC30
BC31 119
BC32 12,79,93
BC33 124,2-67
BC34 18,58,59,60,2-74,2-75
BC35 39,81,2-38
BC36 13,25,133,2-01
BC37 57,81,2-42,2-51
BC38 32,90,2-74
BC39 90,2-60,2-61,2-62,2-74
BC40 32,70,122,2-25
BC41 12,72,73
BC42 70,71,92,114
BC43 1,14
BC44 40,2-22
BC45 27,115
BC46 11,53,61,67,110,2-39
BC47 7,31,122,2-07
BC48 13,77,2-07
BC49 124,135
BC50 118,2-54,2-63
BC51 79,95,131
BC52 2,43,111,2-75,2-76
BC53 38,71
BC54 123
BC55 10,14,42
BC56 2-45
BC57 89,113,2-75
BC58 26,40,97
BC59 42,131
BC60 2-21

DIVISIONS
DC01 24,31,84,139,2-68
DC02 73,87,127,2-68
DC03 70,73
DC04 49,100,2-58
DC05 49,53,145
DC06 68
DC07 118,128,2-09
DC08 28,29,123,133,147
DC09 55,2-72
DC10 123
DC11 35,81,119
DC12 13,93,96,97
DC13 55,81
DC14 29,53
DC15 26,55,64,93,2-46
DC16 2-71,2-76
DC17 55,2-71,D17


RESCUES
RS01 29,30,31,38,44,57,139
RS02 13,32,138,2-39
RS03 68,76
RS04 36,110,124,2-01
RS05 29,2-36
RS06



SQUADS
1 2-36
2 140
3 2-52
4 127,2-22,2-46
5
6
7 2-42
8 2-46,2-47,2-52
9
21
22
24
1
18 2-43
41
61
252
270
288
Squads 2-45



HAZMAT
1 2-76



MARINE UNITS
Engine 043 2-29
Engine 051 7,2-33
Engine 057 1,2-33
Engine 066 39,51,55,2-32
Engine 077 8,2-29,2-30
Engine 078 8,9,51,2-33
Engine 085 2-32
Engine 086 1,2-31
Engine 087 1,2-32
Engine 223 2-31
Engine 232 5,20,40,74,138,2-32
M1 1,38,2-68
M2
M3 63,125
M4
M5 9,51
M6 39,51,55
M7
M8 5,145
M9 7
Smoke 2 2-68
MarDiv 2-30,2-31,2-32



FIRE PATROL
FP1 26
FP2 26,2-43,2-71
FP3 26,2-71
FP4 3, 26
FP5 26
FP6 2, 26
FP7 26
FP8 26
FP9 26
FP10 26




SALVAGE
Salvage 1,2,3,4,5 136,2-28,2-57




SUPERPUMPER 2-34,2-45


WATER TOWER 2-69


ACU 31 2-39


HOSE COMPANIES 2-08



EMS
17 2-35
23 2-48
26 2-50



YELLOW APPARATUS 2-37
 
Last edited:

mack

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 8, 2009
Messages
7,932
Engine 287/Ladder136/Battalion 46    Firehouse  86-53 Grand Avenue  Elmhurst, Queens  14th Division 46th Battalion "Elmhurst Eagles"

    Engine 287 organized 86-18 Broadway former firehouse Wandowenock Engine 1    1913
    Engine 287 new firehouse 86-53 Grand Avenue                                                  1914
    Engine 287 moved to 64-18 Queens Boulevard at Engine 292                              1996
    Engine 287 returned to 86-53 Grand Avenue                                                      1997

    Engine 287-2 organized 67-32 Queens Blvd former volunteer firehouse                1913
    Engine 287-2 moved to new firehouse 64-18 Queens Blvd                                    1914
    Engine 287-2 became Engine 292                                                                      1918

    Ladder 136 organized 91-12 43rd Avenue former volunteer firehouse                    1913
    Ladder 136 new firehouse 86-53 Grand Avenue w/Engine 287                              1914
    Ladder 136 moved to 56-29 68th Street at Engine 288                                        1974
    Ladder 136 returned to 86-53 Grand Avenue at Engine 287                                1976
    Ladder 136 moved to 64-18 Queens Boulevard at Engine 292                              1996
    Ladder 136 returned to 86-53 Grand Avenue at Engine 287                                1997

    Battalion 2 LICFD organized 40-08 Astoria Boulevard at Engine 5 LICFD              1891
    Battalion 2 LICFD becomes Battalion 16 FDNY                                                    1898
    Battalion 16 becomes Battalion 36                                                                    1898
    Battalion 36 becomes Battalion 46                                                                    1906
    Battalion 46 new firehouse 42-06 Astoria Boulevard with Engine 163                    1909
    Battalion 46 disbanded                                                                                      1909
    Battalion 46 reorganized 86-18 Broadway w/Engine 287                                      1913
    Battalion 46 new firehouse 86-53 Grand Avenue w/Engine 287                            1914
    Battalion 46 moved to 97-28 43rd Avenue at Engine 289                                    1974
    Battalion 46 returned to 86-53 Grand Avenue at Engine 287                              1976
    Battalion 46 moved to 108-01 Horace Harding Expressway at Engine 324            1996
    Battalion 46 returned to 46-53 Grand Avenue at Engine 287                              1997


Note:  Elmhurst was protected by the volunteer Newtown Fire Department prior to 1913.  Elmhurst companies were:
    Wandowenock Engine 1  86-18 Broadway        1843-1913
    Wandowenock Ladder 1  86-18 Broadway        1890-1913
    Elmhurst Ladder 11  91-12 43rd Avenue          1896-1913


September 1, 1913:

   


86-18 Broadway (firehouse of Wandowenock Engine 1 and Ladder 1 - original firehouse Engine 287):   
   
   

   


Weathervane from 86-18 Broadway former firehouse:

   


91-12 43rd Avenue (original firehouse L 136 - firehouse of volunteer Elmhurst Ladder 11 ):

   


86-53 Grand Avenue:

   

   

   

   

   

   

   


Engine 287:

   
   
   

   

   


Ladder 136:

   

   

   


Battalion 46:

   

   


SSL-136:

   

   


Engine 287/Ladder 136/Battalion 46:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsubXIHFY3I

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_94zsHRPyE

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gFkQLPA9X8


Engine 287/Ladder 136/Battalion 46 Centennial: 

    http://www.qchron.com/editions/central/firehouse-celebrates-years-in-queens/article_026ccdb8-f0a2-5792-a32a-c73f08ba7593.html


Ladder 136 FDNY Medals:

    FF JAMES J. FLOOD LAD. 136 OFF DUTY JUL. 4, 1944 PRENTICE

         

    LT WILLIAM A. SIEGEL BAT. 46 L-138 OCT. 29, 1981 HISPANIC

         

    LT JOHN W. COLLINS LAD. 136 APR. 23, 1986 SIGNAL 77

         

    FF ANTHONY SANNELLA, JR LAD. 136 FEB. 1, 1992 MARTIN

         


Engine 287/Ladder 136 LODDs: 

    FF Peter Farley, Ladder 136, fell sliding pole, August 16, 1949

         

    FF Joseph Dugan, Ladder 136, collision with Rescue 4, July 31, 1954

         
   
         

    FF Samuel A Schiller, Engine 324 detailed to Ladder 136, collision with Rescue 4, July 31, 1954

         

    FF Robert Dayton - Engine 287, November 26, 1988 - LODD Port Washington Fire Department - Captain Robert Dayton, a 28-year-old firefighter died after being trapped in a smoke-filled building.  It was the first time in 40 years that Port Washington's volunteer Fire Department had a LODD. Captain Dayton was a member of FDNY Engine 287 and was a volunteer in his hometown for 10 years. 

         

          http://www.pwfdhistory.com/g1/albums/memoriam_dayton/dpnews881208_pz_web.pdf

          http://www.pwfd.com/?page_id=567

    Capt Wayne Smith, burned Box 22-7876, 81-04 37th Avenue, died August 7, 1994

         

    FF Michael Cawley, World Trade Center, September 11, 2001

         

          http://www.ffmichaeljcawley.org/bio.html

          http://www.legacy.com/sept11/story.aspx?personid=126941

    FF Christopher Pickford, World Trade Center, September 11, 2001

         

          http://www.legacy.com/sept11/tnonline/story.aspx?personid=131674

         

    RIP.  Never forget.



Elmhurst: 

   

    Original Dutch name Middenburgh.  Changed to Newtown.  Then Elmhurst.

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/21253580@N06/with/2227501380/

    http://oldelmhurst.blogspot.com/

    http://forgotten-ny.com/2011/04/forgottentour-39-newtown-elmhurst-queens/



   

   

   

   
 

mack

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 8, 2009
Messages
7,932
Captain Wayne E. Smith, Ladder 136

NYTimes  Death of Queens Fire Company's Leader Ends 59-Day Vigil
By JAMES BARRON
Published: October 5, 1994

"The signal -- a sequence of five bells repeated four times -- echoed through firehouses across the city yesterday. Slowly, solemnly, it confirmed what a telephone call had already told the firefighters at Ladder Company 136 in Elmhurst, Queens: the 59-day vigil for their commanding officer was over.

The commander, Capt. Wayne E. Smith, was trapped in a two-alarm fire on Aug. 7. With burns over 40 percent of his body and lung injuries from the air in the burning building at 81-04 37th Avenue, Captain Smith died at New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center. His wife, Connie, had kept a daily vigil. Fire Commissioner Howard Safir had stopped by nearly every day.

"Fifty-nine days of waiting for what was really the inevitable, unfortunately," Commissioner Safir said yesterday. "The prognosis from the beginning was extremely critical. We all hoped against hope."

Captain Smith, at 37 one of the youngest captains in the department, was the fifth firefighter to die in the line of duty this year.

At Captain Smith's firehouse -- its nickname, chosen by the firefighters and emblazoned on T-shirts they wear off duty, is Wayne's World -- the news seemed not to have sunk in, despite the telephone call, the bells and the flag at half-staff.

"There's a feeling like it's not really happening, that Wayne's going to wake up," said a firefighter, Duecy Smith, who is not related to Captain Smith.

He and other rank-and-file firefighters at Company 136 -- "truckies," they call themselves with pride -- remembered Captain Smith as someone who, in only nine months as a commander, had raised morale.

"To win over a firehouse that quickly takes considerable talent," Commissioner Safir said. "He was a real leader in the firehouse. No one was surprised that Wayne led his men into this fire and was right in front. They found him on the floor above where the fire was. One of the duties of a ladder company is to go above the fire floor and search for victims. That's exactly what Wayne was doing, putting his life in jeopardy to save others."

On the way in, firefighters faced huge volumes of smoke and flame. Captain Smith was one of the first to go inside.

Other firefighters discovered Captain Smith, overcome by the smoke, on an upper floor. Fourteen other firefighters were also injured, two seriously. Commissioner Safir said the blaze was still under investigation but is believed to have been caused by faulty electrical  wiring."


RIP.  Never forget.
 

mack

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 8, 2009
Messages
7,932
Robert H. Dayton, Engine 287, was killed at an arson fire while serving as a member of Flower Hill Hose Co. #1, Nassau County, on, November 26, 1988.


3rd Alarm, 165 Main Street, Post Washington, LI
0729 hrs, November 26, 1988:

   

While commanding a search and rescue team at an apartment fire on Main Street, he became trapped and ran out of air. Due to the intense heat and smoke, repeated efforts to rescue Captain Dayton were unsuccessful. He was later pronounced dead at St. Francis Hospital. The Nassau County Police Homocide Squad and Fire Marshall?s Office later ruled the cause of the fire to be arson.

Captain Dayton attended Schreiber High School and later studied computers at Nassau Community College. He joined Flower Hill Hose Co. #1 at 18 years old. In addition to serving as a volunteer in Port Washington, he was also a professional firefighter with the Fire Department, City of New York, assigned to Engine Company 287 in Elmhurst, Queens. He was posthumously promoted to Captain of Flower Hill Hose Company #1.

The Port Washington Fire Department continued to mourn the loss of Captain Dayton. In 2010 the Town of North Hempstead renamed Haven Avenue, where Flower Hill Hose Co. #1 is located, Captain Robert H. Dayton Way.


RIP.  Never forget.
 

nfd2004

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 22, 2007
Messages
5,862
mack said:
FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies - 2nd Section - Thread continues 1st Section 

Many FDNY and NYC firehouses and berths served as quarters for FDNY, Brooklyn FD, Long Island City FD, fire patrols, police, airport, federal, military, commercial and volunteer departments and companies.  The original sheds which housed the first fire companies formed to protect NYC in the late 1700s and early 1800s are gone.  But many of the original firehouses built by the volunteer departments, FDNY, Brooklyn and LIC in the mid and late 1800s still exist - some operate as active firehouses, some serve community, business or housing purposes.  Current FDNY firehouses include historic and new state-of-the-art fire stations.  This thread is dedicated to the firehouses, their companies, their apparatus, their histories and the firefighters who served in them.
"mack", let me THANK YOU for continuing with the FDNY and NYC Firehouse thread. By far the 1st section the MOST POPULAR and VIEWED thread on this site. As the year 2017 comes to a close and 2018 begins, that first thread had a total of 147 pages, about 2,200 replies and almost 800,000 views.

The series now continues with "The 2nd Section", and I'm sure for many of us who have been around for awhile, we can certainly appreciate the newest title. Kind of rings a bell of those very busy days when the FDNY had so many fires and runs, some firehouses had to have TWO separate Engine Companies or maybe even TWO separate Ladder Companies operating out of the same firehouse. (examples: Engine 41-1, Engine 41-2, or Ladder 103-1, Ladder 103-2).

With your most recent firehouse posting of Eng 287/Lad 136/B46, together some of us on this site had the privilege of visiting that firehouse a while back where the members there treated us GREAT.

Thanks for the history, the pictures, the stories and the videos unique to each Firehouse of NYC that you post. As well as the many other contributions that other members have contributed as well.

A GREAT start with only a few hours left to begin the New Year of 2018.
 

mack

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 8, 2009
Messages
7,932
Battalion 46 - Originally organized as Battalion 2 in paid Long Island City Fire Department (LICFD) in Astoria at quarters of Engine 5 (LICFD - became Engine 263 FDNY ) and Ladder 4 (LICFD - became Ladder 117 FDNY).  Battalion 2 (LICFD) became Battalion 16 (FDNY), then Battalion 36, then was disbanded, then reorganized as Battalion 46 in Elmhurst.

    Battalion 2 (LICFD) organized 40-08 Astoria Boulevard at Engine 5 (LICFD) and Ladder 4 (LICFD)      1891
    Battalion 2 (LICFD) became Battalion 16 (FDNY)                                                                            1898
    Battalion 16 became Battalion 36                                                                                                  1898
    Battalion 36 became Battalion 46                                                                                                  1906
   
          40-08 Astoria Boulevard firehouse:
       
               
   
    Battalion 46 moved to firehouse 42-06 Astoria Boulevard with Engine 163/Ladder 67    1909
     
         
   
    Battalion 46 disbanded                                                                                      1909
   
    Battalion 46 reorganized 86-18 Broadway w/Engine 287                                      1913
   
         


Battalion 46 new firehouse 86-53 Grand Avenue w/Engine 287/Ladder 136            1914

         

         


    - thanks fdhistorian
 

fdhistorian

Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2013
Messages
545
mack said:
Battalion 46 - originally organized in Astoria at quarters of Engine 163 (became Engine 263) and Ladder 67 (became Ladder 117).  Engine 163 and Ladder 67 were paid Long Island City Fire Department companies located on Flushing Avenue (became Astoria Boulevard).  Battalion 46 was disbanded and then reorganized in Elmhurst at Engine 287 in 1913.

    Battalion 46 organized 40-08 Astoria Boulevard at Engine 163/Ladder 67              1906

    Battalion 46 moved firehouse 42-06 Astoria Boulevard with Engine 163/Ladder 67    1909
   
    Battalion 46 disbanded                                                                                      1909

    Battalion 46 reorganized 86-18 Broadway w/Engine 287                                  1913
   
    Battalion 46 new firehouse 86-53 Grand Avenue w/Engine 287/Ladder 136            1914
Originally, Battalion 46 came into the FDNY in 1898 as Queens Battalion 16 having been Long Island City Battalion 2.
Later in 1898, Queens Battalion 16 was renumbered as the original Battalion 36.
Battalion 36 was renumbered as Battalion 46 in 1906.
It was at 40-08 Astoria Blvd since 1894.
 

68jk09

Well-known member
Joined
May 6, 2010
Messages
12,733
BILL TOMPKINS FDNY FH PHOTOS....  http://www.btfirephotos.com/Firehouses/FDNY-New-York-Firehouses/FDNY-Firehouses/
 

68jk09

Well-known member
Joined
May 6, 2010
Messages
12,733
Some more info on Fire Patrol 2 FH but i put it here because it also contains info on former FDNY FHs in other Boros....  https://untappedcities.com/2014/02/13/7-repurposed-fire-stations-in-nyc/?displayall=true  ....In the "untapped cities" link above ^^^^^ Picture #1 in addition to ENG*31 also housed SQ*8......... #4 ENG*30 originally had 3 Sections...after they were disbanded the bldg housed the Medical Office (into the late '60s until the MO moved to Lafayette St w/LAD*20) the Spring St FH also had SATELITE*2 by itself which was manned by 2 FFs.....prior to The FDNY Museum moving to Spring St they were in the third & then separate bay & 3 floor portion of the FH on Duane St attached to ENG*7...LAD*1...BN*1.....after 9-11 that 1/3 of the FH was used as a Command Center during the Recovery then it became Manhattan Boro Command for awhile...... #8 ENG*206 was 2 separate houses built together.....206 was in the left half & the right side although lettered for LAD*133 was never occupied .....& in the '50s/'60s was primarily for storage of old equipment & pretty deteriorated...the apparatus floor had some antique horse & hand drawn rigs that were later refurbished & placed in the basement office area of the Dept Shops....the 2nd floor had hundreds of WW2 4 gal galvanized "Stirrup Pumps" that had originally been all around NYC for use by Auxiliaries & or Air Wardens in case of an incendiary bomb attack by air.....the 3rd fl had hundreds of red Civil Defense steel pot helmets.....after 206 moved to the new Qtrs just over on Grand in the late '70s the old FH became a wicker basket sales place for many years....during Sandy both the old & new FHs flooded as nearby Newtown Creek rose....some of these FHs have been discussed in more detail in other posts but this is just a little info on these pictures....also continue scrolling the "untapped" link for some more interesting non FD but NYC places.
 

mack

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 8, 2009
Messages
7,932
Engine 292  Firehouse  64-18 Queens Boulevard  Woodside, Queens  14th Division, 46th Battalion "Winfield Cougars"

    Engine 287-2 organized 67-32 Queens Boulevard at former volunteer quarters  1913
    Engine 287-2 new firehouse 64-18 Queens Boulevard                                      1914
    Engine 287-2 disbanded ? became Engine 292                                                1918
    Engine 292 organized 64-18 Queens Boulevard                                                1918

    Rescue 4 organized 64-18 Queens Boulevard at Engine 292                              1931
    Rescue 4 moved 30-89 21st Street at Engine 262                                            1996
    Rescue 4 returned 64-18 Queens Boulevard at Engine 292                              1997
    Rescue 4 moved 30-89 21st Street at Engine 262                                            1999
    Rescue 4 returned 64-18 Queens Boulevard at Engine 292                              2000
    Rescue 4 moved 27-12 Kearney St with Engine 316                                        2013
    Rescue 4 returned 64-18 Queens Blvd at Engine 292                                      2015
     
    Foam Unit Queens located 64-18 Queens Boulevard at Engine 292              1965-1972

    Ladder 136 located 64-18 Queens Boulevard at Engine 292                        1996-1997


Former Woodside volunteer company replaced by Engine 287-2 was Gooderson Engine 2 of the Newtown Fire Department.  Gooderson Engine 2 was organized in 1862 at Thompson Avenue (Queens Bouldvard) and Fisk Avenue.  Gooderson Engine 2 relocated a new firehouse at Thompson Avenue and Fisk Avenue (67-32 Queens Boulevard) in 1882.   

Original firehouse (Thompson Ave became Queens Blvd):

   

   

   


64-18 Queens Boulevard firehouse:

   

   

   

   

   

   
 
   


Engine 292:

   

   

   

   

   

   

   


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9v1qXQKpa4

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnFW7GpOyvY


Engine 292 - 1st due - 8/25/09 All-Hands 65th Pl & 50th Ave

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rszTZhGuzrA


Engine 292 FDNY Medal:

    FF John Marshall  February 1, 1956 Kane Medal


Engine 292 LODDs:

    LT Robert Grant, heart attack in quarters, March 25, 1932:

         

    LT Grant had been seriously injured as a member of Engine 23 in November 1913 when his steamer swerved to avoid a truck and he was thrown from apparatus.  He was also seriously injured as a member of Engine 33 in a collision with a hose wagon responding to a Manhattan fire in 1930. He was hospitalized for 3 months and required life-saving blood donations from 22 FFs.  He returned to full duty and was promoted to LT.
   

    FF Howard V. Colbert, KIA Saipan, Marianas Islands, WWII, July 9, 1944

          FF Colbert was killed on Saipan while serving as a Sergeant with Company H, 105th Infantry.

             

          Prior injury:

             


FF Vincent Schmitt. Engine 292, KIA, Belgium, WWII, January 6, 1945:

   

   


WWII Notes:

    The two Engine 292 members who were KIA during World War II have a sad similarity.  Both members fought in major WWII battles, the Battle of Saipan and the Battle of the Bulge.  Both battles had extremely high casualties and both were important Allied victories. Both Engine 292 members, unfortunately, lost their lives near the end of each battle.

FF Colbert - SGT US Army, 105th Infantry, KIA July 9, 1944

    Battle of Saipan:  The Battle of Saipan was a major battle of the Pacific campaign of World War II, fought on the island of Saipan in the Mariana Islands from June 15 to July 9, 1944. The US 2nd Marine Division, US 4th Marine Division and the US Army 27th Infantry Division defeated the 43rd Infantry Division of the Imperial Japanese Army, commanded by LT General Yoshitsugu Saito.
    By July 7, the Japanese had nowhere to retreat. Saito made plans for a final suicidal Banzai Charge. At dawn, with a group of 12 men carrying a great red flag in the lead, the remaining able-bodied troops ? about 3,000 men ? charged forward in the final attack. Amazingly, behind them came the wounded, with bandaged heads, crutches, and barely armed. The Japanese surged over the American front lines, engaging both Army and Marine units.
    MAJ Edward McCarthy, then in command of 2-105 Infantry and one of the few officers of the regiment to survive the attack, described the scene as follows: "It reminded me of one of those old cattle-stampede scenes of the movies. The camera is in a hole in the ground and you see the herd coming and they leap up and over you and are gone. Only the Japanese just kept coming and coming. I didn?t think they?d ever stop". This charge hit the 105th directly and violently, and the two lead battalions were overrun. LTC O'Brien led the defense in the 1-105 area, with a pistol in each hand and even manning a nearby .50 Caliber machine-gun until he was killed. When his body was found, there were 30 dead Japanese around him, and he received a posthumous Medal of Honor.
    When the carnage of the final charge finally ended, 2,295 dead Japanese lay in front of the 105th's positions, and another 2,016 lay intermingled or in the rear of the 105th's positions for a total of 4,311 dead. US casualties were also heavy, and 1-105 and 2-105 suffered 406 KIA and 512 WIA.  SGT Colbert was one of the KIAs and lost his life just before Saipan was declared "Secured".

    http://www.historynet.com/battle-of-saipan

FF Schmitt PVT US Army:

    PVT Schmitt was appointed to FDNY in 1939 just prior to the war.  He arrived in Belgium during the Battle of the Bulge, December 16, 1944 ? January 25, 1945, which  was the last major German offensive campaign of World War II. It was launched through the densely forested Ardennes region in Belgium, France, and Luxembourg, on the Western Front, towards the end of World War II, in the European theatre. PVT Schmitt lost his life January 6, 1945, during the final German counter-offensive of the campaign.

    http://www.historynet.com/battle-of-the-bulge

RIP - Never forget.


Winfield history: 

    Named after General Winfield Scott

    http://forgotten-ny.com/2004/12/the-general-and-queens/

    1873 map:  http://www.historicmapworks.com/Map/US/1700/Winfield+Town/Long+Island+1873/New+York/

          Note - Gooderson Engine 2 located at Columbia Avenue and North Shell Road (old street names)


   

   

   

 

mack

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 8, 2009
Messages
7,932
Looks like "141 Hook & Ladder 141" is lettered above left front door bay on this early photograph of Engine 292's firehouse:

   


Ladder 141 was never organized.
 

mack

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 8, 2009
Messages
7,932
Gooderson Engine 2  Newtown Fire Department - Winfield, Long Island - Pre-FDNY Engine 292

    Gooderson Engine 2 was organized in 1862 at Thompson Avenue (Queens Boulevard) and Fisk Avenue. 
    Gooderson Engine 2 relocated a new firehouse at Thompson Avenue and Fisk Avenue (67-32 Queens Boulevard) in 1882.     


67-32 Queens Boulevard firehouse:

   

   


Gooderson Engine 2 members:

   
 

mack

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 8, 2009
Messages
7,932
Engine 83/Ladder 29 Firehouse 618 East 138th Street, Mott Haven, Bronx 6th Division, 14th Battalion  "da' Bums on da' Hill"

    Engine 83 organized 618 East 138th Street w/Ladder 29                      1906

    Ladder 29 organized 618 East 138th Street w/Engine 83                      1906

    Bridge Chemical 63 located at 618 East 138th Street at Engine 83    1939-1944

    Satellite 2 located at 618 East 138th Street at Engine 83                  1965-1975


618 East 138th Street firehouse built 1906:

   

   

   

   

   

   

   

   

   

   

   

     


Engine 83:

   

   

   

   

   

   


Ladder 29:

   

   

   

   

   

   


Satellite 2:

   


Engine 83/Ladder 29 Videos:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFlVY-pOLkA

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv-seVvmGqs

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl2bcBwiIic


Engine 83 FDNY Medals:

    CAPT MICHAEL J. CLEARY 1949 STEPHENSON

    LT FRANK M. JACOBY MAR. 11, 1969 KENNY

         

    LT ANTHONY J. ALVA  JAN. 18, 1973 CONRAN

          FDNY 1959-1990, "Tough Tony", retired Captain Ladder 19.

    FF JOHN T. DONNELLAN MAR. 16, 1980 BRUMMER


Ladder 29 FDNY Medals:

    FF JAMES J. FLEURY  APR. 7, 1973 DELEHANTY

    FF JOSEPH KREBBS  SEP. 21, 1974 STEUBEN

    FF ELI V. GIAQUINTO  JUN. 17, 1978 HISPANIC

         

    LT DENNIS P. MARTIN  MAR. 16, 1980 AMERICAN LEGION

          FDNY 1962-1995, retired Deputy Chief

    FF FRANK UNGARO  APR. 29, 1980 MC ELLIGOTT

    CAPT FRANCIS G. GRIFFIN JAN. 11, 1981 FIRE MARSHALS

         

    FF RICHARD P. KEARNS  DEC. 3, 1986 WILLIAMS

         

    FF ALFRED J. ZAHRA  DEC. 3, 1986 EMERALD

       

    FF JAMES M. KERLEY  MAY 21, 1992 FIRE CHIEFS


Engine 83/Ladder 29 LODDs:

    FF JOSEPH FINGER LADDER 29 December 25, 1906

          Christmas Day, 1906, FF Finger was driving Ladder 29 back to quarters from a fire at 271 Ryder Avenue. While turning from St. Ann?s Avenue onto East 138th Street, the horses bolted. FF Finger, not wearing a seat belt, was jerked from his seat to the ground and the wheels passed over him. Six other fireman were injured, none seriously. Once at Lincoln Hospital, doctors discovered that FF Finger suffered from internal injuries and six fractured ribs. He died shortly after arriving at the hospital.

    FF JOHN DUFFY ENGINE 83 September 7, 1915

          On September 6, 1915, Engine 83 responded to an excavation site on 138th Street near Cypress Avenue for a trapped 12 year old boy who had fallen into the work site.  In trying to rescue the boy, FF Duffy fell 20 feet into the site.  The boy, Aaron Steinburg of 609 East 138th Street and FF Duffy sustained injuries.  They were rescued and transported to Lincoln Hospital.  The boy had scalp lacerations and survived but FF Duffy died the next day from head and internal injuries.  FF Duffy was 45 years old and lived at 3825 Eagle Avenue in the Bronx.   

         


    FF THOMAS SCHOALES ENGINE 83 September 11, 2001

          FF Thomas Schoales, responded the World Trade Center terrorist attack on September 11, 2001, with members of Engine 4.  FF Schoales lost his life when the building collapsed while he was trying to save others.  FF Schoales was the son of BC Edward Schoales, FDNY.

         

         

          http://www.legacy.com/sept11/cantonrep/story.aspx?personid=147297

          https://nypost.com/2002/01/13/golden-boy-fireman-found-in-wtc-rubble/


    RIP.  Never forget.


Mott Haven:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mott_Haven,_Bronx

    http://forgotten-ny.com/2013/11/mott-haven%E2%80%94port-morris-bronx/


Pre-FDNY Mott Haven fire protection:

    Mott Haven Fire Department, a volunteer department, protected Mott Haven from the mid-1800s (unknown organization date) until it merged with the volunteer Morrisania Fire Department in 1856.  MFD provided fire protection until FDNY expanded into the Bronx when it was disbanded in 1874.

          Jackson Engine Company 4 served until 1874

          Mott Haven Ladder Company 2 served until 1874 at 2594 3rd Avenue

              Former firehouse current use: 

                   
 

mack

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 8, 2009
Messages
7,932
Engine 83/Ladder 29 firehouse - Landmarks Preservation Commission - 2012

   

Landmarks Preservation Commission: The firehouse was completed in 1905 and landmarked in 2012.  The building, an early example of a "two-vehicle-bay firehouse", was designed by Robert Kohn and incorporates "Vienna Secessionist" style.


FIREHOUSE, ENGINE COMPANY 83, HOOK & LADDER COMPANY 29,  618 East 138th Street (aka 618-620 East 138th Street), the Bronx.  Built 1904-05; Robert D. Kohn, architect.

LANDMARK SITE: Borough of the Bronx

    On May 15, 2012, the Landmarks Preservation Commission held a public hearing on the proposed designation as a Landmark of the Firehouse, Engine Company 83, Hook & Ladder Company 29 and the proposed designation of the related Landmark Site (Item No. 3).  The hearing had been duly advertised in accordance with the provisions of law.  There were two speakers in favor of designation: representatives of the Historic Districts Council and The Victorian Society New York. There were no speakers in opposition to designation. In addition, the Commission received a communication from the Fire Department of the City of New York in support of designation.

SUMMARY:

    The imposing two-story neo-Classical style Firehouse, Engine Company 83, Hook & Ladder Company 29, in the Mott Haven section of the South Bronx, was constructed in 1904-05 during the period when an enormous number of public structures were being placed in neighborhoods throughout the five boroughs following the Consolidation of Greater New York in 1898. The architect of this firehouse was Robert D. Kohn, a graduate of Columbia University and the Ecole des Beaux-Arts, who emerged around this time as one of the few American architects (like Emery Roth early in his career) who produced major designs influenced by the Vienna Secession, between about 1905 and 1915. An early example of the two-vehicular-bay firehouse, a type that predominated in New York City for the next quarter century, this building is clad in salmon-colored brick with a monumental three-bay limestone enframement on the first story and a bracketed terra-cotta cornice. Within the elegantly composed neo-Classical ornamental vocabulary are subtle Secessionist references. Engine Company 83, Hook & Ladder Company 29 has continuously served the neighborhood in this building since 1906.

DESCRIPTION AND ANALYSIS:

    Firefighting in New York - Even in the colonial period, the government of New York took the possibility of fire very seriously.  Under Dutch rule, all men were expected to participate in firefighting activities. After the English took over, the Common Council organized a force of 30 volunteer firefighters in 1737, operating two Newsham hand pumpers that had recently been imported from London. By 1798, the Fire Department of the City of New York (FDNY), under the supervision of a chief engineer and six subordinates, was officially established by an act of the New York State Legislature.    As the city grew, this force was augmented by new volunteer companies. In spite of growing numbers of firefighters and improvements in hoses and water supplies, fire was a significant threat in an increasingly densely built up city. Of particular significance was the ?Great Fire? of December 16-17, 1835, which caused more damage to property than any other event in New York City. The damages resulting from several major fires which occurred between 1800 and 1850 led to the establishment of a building code, and an increase in the number of firemen from 600 in 1800 to more than 4,000 in 1865. Despite rapid growth, the department was often criticized for poor performance.  Intense competition between companies began to hinder firefighting with frequent brawls and acts of sabotage, often at the scenes of fires. During the Civil War, when fire personnel became harder to retain, public support grew for the creation of a professional firefighting force, similar to that established in other cities and to the professional police force that had been created in New York in 1845.  In May 1865, the State Legislature established the Metropolitan Fire District, comprising the cities of New York (south of 86th Street) and Brooklyn. The act abolished the volunteer system and created the Metropolitan Fire Department, a paid professional force under the jurisdiction of the state government.  By the end of the year, the city?s 124 volunteer companies with more than 4,000 men had retired or disbanded, to be replaced by 33 engine companies and 12 ladder companies operated by a force of 500 men. Immediate improvements included the use of more steam engines, horses, and a somewhat reliable telegraph system. A military model was adopted for the firefighters, which involved the use of specialization, discipline, and merit. By 1870, regular service was extended to the ?suburban districts? north of 86th Street and expanded still farther north after the annexation of part of the Bronx in 1874. New techniques and equipment, including taller ladders and stronger steam engines, increased the department?s efficiency, as did the establishment, in 1883, of a training academy for personnel. The growth of the city during this period placed severe demands on the Fire Department to provide services, and in response the department undertook an ambitious building campaign. The area served by the FDNY nearly doubled after the Consolidation of Greater New York in 1898, when the departments in Brooklyn and numerous communities in Queens and Staten Island were incorporated into the city. After the turn of the century, the Fire Department acquired more modern apparatus and motorized vehicles, reflecting the need for faster response to fires in taller buildings. Throughout the 20th century, the department endeavored  to keep up with the evolving city and its firefighting needs. 

FIREHOUSE DESIGN:

    By the early 20th century, the firehouse as a building type had evolved from the wooden storage shed used during the 17th century to an imposing architectural expression of civic character. As early as 1853, Marriott Field had argued in his City Architecture: Designs for Dwelling Houses, Stores, Hotels, etc. for symbolic architectural expression in municipal buildings, including firehouses. The 1854 Fireman?s Hall, 153 Mercer Street, with its highly symbolic ornamentation, reflected this approach, using flambeaux, hooks, ladders, and trumpets for its ornament.  Between 1880 and 1895, Napoleon LeBrun & Son served as the official architectural firm for New York?s Fire Department, designing 42 firehouses in a massive effort to modernize the facilities and to accommodate the growing population of the city. Although the firm?s earliest designs were relatively simple, later buildings were more distinguished and more clearly identifiable as firehouses. While the basic function and requirements of the firehouse were established early in its history, LeBrun is credited with standardizing the program, and introducing some minor, but important, innovations in the plan.  Placing the horse stalls in the main part of the ground floor to reduce the time needed for hitching horses to the apparatus was one such innovation. Firehouses were usually located on mid-block sites because these were less expensive than more prominent corner sites. Since the sites were narrow, firehouses tended to be three stories tall, with the apparatus on the ground story and rooms for the company, including dormitory, kitchen and captain?s office, above. After 1895, the department commissioned a number of well-known architects to design firehouses.  Influenced by the Classical Revival which was highly popular throughout the country, New York firms such as Hoppin & Koen, Flagg & Chambers, Horgan & Slattery, and Robert D. Kohn created facades with bold Classical style designs. 

GROWTH OF MOTT HAVEN AND THE BRONX:

    The site of the Firehouse, Engine Company 83, Hook & Ladder Company 29 was originally part of the extensive land holdings purchased in 1670 by the Welsh-born Richard Morris (died 1672) and inherited in 1691 by his son Lewis Morris (1671-1746), later an Acting Governor of New York and Governor of New Jersey. Their estate, known as ?Morrisania,? was part of Westchester County during the late 18th and most of the 19th centuries. In 1828, Jordan L. Mott, inventor of the coal-burning stove, bought a large tract of land in the southwestern part of Morrisania and established the Mott Haven Iron Works on the Harlem River at Third Avenue and 134th Street. The area around this business was developed with houses for Mott and his workers and became known as Mott Haven. Even though the larger area of Morrisania continued as a quiet, rural district, this section of Mott Haven developed more rapidly because of the expansion of the iron works and the advent of other industrial enterprises attracted by the Mott Haven Canal, which led from the Harlem River north to 138th Street. The New York & Harlem Railroad, incorporated in 1831, expanded over the Harlem River in 1840, bringing goods and people to the industrial community of Mott Haven. As the railroads and streetcars crossed the area, beginning in the 1860s, streets were laid out and land speculation began in earnest. In 1874, the townships of Morrisania, West Farms and Kingsbridge split from Westchester County and became the 23rd and 24th Wards of the City of New York, this area of the Bronx becoming known as the Annexed District. Beginning in the early 1880s, booster organizations such as the North Side Association advocated for infrastructure improvements; streets were paved, sewers dug, and mass transit lines brought the elevated trains to the Bronx. The El spurred tenement construction. By 1897, just a decade after the El began operation, the once vacant blocks east of Third Avenue were almost completely built over with solid brick buildings. This area held a mixture of building types: single-family rowhouses built in the late 1880s; multi-story apartment houses, built with increasing frequency in the 1890s; and various industrial and manufacturing establishments located along the neighborhood?s southern fringe. The population of the Bronx grew rapidly ?  in 1890, there were 89,000 people living in the area of the Bronx known as the North Side, ten years later the population had more than doubled to over 200,000, and by 1915 the number had increased threefold to 616,000. As the population and number of new buildings increased,  protection from the ever present danger of fire became increasingly important. The firefighters of Engine Company 83, Hook & Ladder Company 29 played a vital role in the Mott Haven community.

ENGINE 83, HOOK & LADDER 28:

    In the mid-19th century, as the Mott Haven Iron Works and the neighborhood?s residential development expanded, fire protection in Mott Haven became increasingly important. A volunteer company, J. & L. Mott Ladder 2, was established in a three-story wooden building at 2608 Third Avenue. With the annexation of this section of the Bronx to New York City in 1874, this volunteer squad was disbanded and replaced at the same location with Hook & Ladder Company 17, which moved in 1877 into a  rented four-story brick stable nearby at 589 (later re-numbered 341) East 143rd Street. By 1891, this company had 12 men and officers stationed here, with two horses, and one roller-frame hook-and-ladder truck with a fifty-foot extension ladder. That year they fought 60 fires, out of the total 158 fires that occurred in the entire lower Bronx. Following the Consolidation of Greater New York in 1898, when the entire Bronx became part of the city, it benefitted, as did all five boroughs, from the construction of an enormous number of new public structures, placed in all neighborhoods. Hook and Ladder Company 17 received a new two-bay firehouse (1906-07), designed by Michael J. Garvin.9  Immediately after Consolidation, plans were made for a second engine company and firehouse to be located in Mott Haven. A three-story $24,000 firehouse was proposed for 898 (later re-numbered 618) East 138th Street near Cypress Avenue in 1899, and plans were produced by architect Manly N. Cutter, Deputy Building Superintendent of the Fire Department, but these were not acted upon. In December 1903, the Fire Department signed a contract with architect Robert D. Kohn to prepare plans and specifications. Kohn filed for a two-story firehouse in July 1904, and construction occurred between January and October 1905 at a cost of $41,698. The contractor was Alfred Nugent & Son, a firm that built numerous public buildings, such as schools and firehouses, during this period. The Real Estate Record & Builders Guide noted that ?The site for the new building is in a district crowded with factories and tenements. At present there is no firehouse within a radius of half a mile.?  The firehouse is an early example of the two-vehicular-bay firehouse, a type that predominated in New York City for the next quarter century. Engine Company 83, Hook & Ladder Company 29 was officially organized in February 1906. It has continued to serve the neighborhood since that time.

THE ARCHITECT:

    Robert David Kohn (1870-1953), born in Manhattan, graduated from the College of the City of New York (1886) and Columbia University (1890), then attended the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris (1891-95). Upon his return to New York, he worked for a number of architectural firms before establishing his own independent practice in 1896. Among Kohn?s early commissions were town houses designed in an abstracted Beaux-Arts style, including 352-353 Riverside Drive (1899-1901); River Mansion, 337 Riverside Drive, and the neighboring 322 West 106th Street (1900-02); and 46 East 74th Street (1901-02).12 He was associate architect, with Carrere & Hastings, of the abstracted neo-Renaissance style New York Society for Ethical Culture School (1902-04), 33 Central Park West 13 (Kohn was a close personal friend of Dr. Felix Adler, the founder (1876) of the Society, and was a member and, later, president, of the congregation). His practice came to encompass warehouses, factories, and residential, commercial, office, and institutional buildings. Kohn emerged as one of the few American architects (like Emery Roth in his early career) who produced major designs influenced by the Vienna Secession, between about 1905 and 1915. These works, all aesthetically noteworthy and among Kohn?s most interesting work, included the Hermitage Hotel (1905-07; demolished), 592 Seventh Avenue, a bachelor apartment hotel; New York Evening Post Building (1906), 20 Vesey Street; Spero Building (1907-08), 23 West 21st Street, a store-and-loft structure for a wholesale millinery goods firm; and New York Society for Ethical Culture (1909-10), 2 West 64th Street.14 Kohn was married in 1905 to the sculptress Estelle Rumbold, who collaborated on the Evening Post and Ethical Culture projects.  Kohn?s Firehouse, Engine Company 83, Hook & Ladder Company 29 (1904-05), an imposing two-story neo-Classical style building, is clad in salmon-colored brick with a monumental three-bay limestone enframement on the first story and a bracketed terra-cotta cornice. Within the elegantly composed neo-Classical ornamental vocabulary are subtle Secessionist references, such as the concave segmental arches of the first-story enframement, the entablatures of the central pedestrian entrance and  first-story enframement, and the end terminating elements of the roof parapet. Kohn later explored a different modern aesthetic that sometimes referenced his earlier Secessionist influence, and presaged or paralleled such stylistic trends as modern Classicism and Art Deco. He designed the 11-story Auerbach & Sons factory (1915), 628-644 11th Avenue, which features vertical articulation, wide horizontal windows, and stylized geometric ornament, and additions to the R.H. Macy & Co. Department Store (1922-31), Seventh Avenue and West 34th Street.15 Kohn was a founder (1921) and president (1929) of the New York Building Congress and served as president of the American Institute of Architects (1930-32), director of the housing division of the Public Works Administration (1933-34), and vice president of the New York World?s Fair (1939-40), as well as a member of the fair?s board of design. He received the medal of honor in 1933 from the New York Chapter of the American Institute of Architects. Certain of his commissions were executed under the firm name of Robert D. Kohn & Associates. Kohn?s office address after 1917 was the same as architect Charles Butler?s,16 and he apparently formed a partnership with Butler that lasted, informally and formally, to at least 1952.17 They entered the competition for the design of the Nebraska State Capitol in 1919, and were responsible for the A.I. Namm & Son Department Store (1924-25, 1928-29), 454 Fulton Street, Brooklyn,18 and the 12-story Dorothy Gray Building (1928), 683 Fifth Avenue, which received a silver medal from the Fifth Avenue Association in 1929.19 Kohn and/or Butler joined with Clarence S. Stein on a number of projects. Stein (1883-1975), born in Rochester, New York, trained as an architect at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts (1908-11) and entered the office of Bertram G. Goodhue, where he became chief designer. Stein became best known as a pioneering planner, with Henry Wright, of housing projects and planned communities, including Sunnyside Gardens (1924-28), Queens, and Radburn, New Jersey (1928-32), for which Kohn was one of the architectural consultants. Among the collaborations of Kohn, Butler and Stein were: Parkwest Hospital (1925-26, Butler and Stein), 170 West 76th Street;20 Fieldston School buildings (1927-28, Kohn and Stein), operated by the Ethical Culture Society in Riverdale, the Bronx; Temple Emanu-El (1927-29, Kohn, Butler and Stein, with Mayers, Murray & Phillip), 840 Fifth Avenue; 21 and Fort Greene Houses (1942-44, Butler and Stein, with numerous other architects), Brooklyn.

DESCRIPTION - HISTORIC:

    Two-story neo-Classical style firehouse; salmon-colored brick cladding with three-bay, first-story limestone enframement; outer bays have historic pull-down paneled wood doors and historic FDNY company names; central bay has pedestrian entrance surmounted by entablature with bronze dedication plaque and segmental-arched window with leaded glass panes; three second-story tripartite windows with one-over-one double-hung wood sash; flagpole at central second-story window; bracketed terra-cotta cornice; roof parapet with stone coping and end terminating elements

ALTERATIONS:

    Metal pedestrian door; sidelights of central first-story leaded glass window; first-story electrical conduits and lighting fixtures  West Wall: paInted brick cladding, with a door; ventilating pipe 



    http://www.neighborhoodpreservationcenter.org/db/bb_files/2012-FirehouseEngineCompany83.pdf
 

scoobyd

Member
Joined
May 16, 2008
Messages
350
Extremely disappointed in some of the buffs here.  L 29 was TL 29 for a time.  No one noticed! 

Also noteworthy, the late FF Eli Giaquinto, a L 29 medal winner, went on to start a major fire escape servicing company in San Francisco.
 

mack

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 8, 2009
Messages
7,932
Engine 83/Ladder 29  - from "1st Responder Broadcast Network"

"'83 Engine and 29 Truck'

    By Larry Woodcock Correspondent  1st Responder Newspaper    Story Number 032615109

    Disclaimer: This article is a direct street report from our correspondent and has not been edited by the 1st Responder newsroom.


    The South Bronx has always been synonymous with mean streets and urban decay. Mention the South Bronx and right away people remember buildings and blocks on fire and crime on such a grand scale that police officers didn?t even want to work there.

    Thankfully, times have changed and places have improved. So too has the area known as Mott Haven.
Originally owned by the Morris family, it is also known as Port Morris with a population of over 50,000 within a square mile today. It is dominated by tenements and large public housing projects.
From the end of the 1800?s through the 1940?s, the neighborhood was quickly developed and at the same time became an upper middle class residential area marked by elaborate brownstones and became known as Doctors Row and the Irish Fifth Avenue.
   
    With its large German and Irish population made possible by public transportation, it supported the construction of tenement buildings. One of the city?s largest parades took place here every year on Easter Sunday in the 1940?s and 1950?s, marching down Willis Avenue to 138th Street. Saint Ann?s church, which was built in 1840, is the oldest church in the Bronx and is located on Saint Ann?s Avenue. It was added to the Register of Historic Places in 1980 and includes a graveyard that dates back to the early 1700?s.

    Mott Haven is also home to Da?Bums on Da?Hill, 83 and 29. The nickname goes back to the 1930?s, when surrounding companies would refer to them as such. Rivalries were much bigger then as competition was fierce.

    This firehouse was built in 1905 and opened in 1906 to incorporate two new companies. On January 31, 1906, 83 Engine was organized and on February 1, 1906 so too was 29 Truck.
At the time, Mott Haven had become a major shopping district for the Bronx (along 138th Street) and the need for more adequate fire protection was becoming apparent. The early days of firemen back in those days were typical of the times, ten days on followed by one day off and four hours a day for meals.

    As the neighborhood grew, so did the call volume and in the mid to late 1960?s as in so many urban areas, it changed overnight-first with civil unrest then in the 1970?s it was stricken by social and physical decline.  That was followed by drugs, crime, and the neglect by the city during its fiscal crisis. Building abandonment and arson swept through like a plague. Both company?s runs jumped from less then 300 runs per year in 1966 to over 5,000 in 1968. It even topped 6,000 in 1973. The trend continued until the early 1980?s.  Combined, the companies received over thirty unit citations and fourteen individual medals of valor.

    Two members were killed in the line of duty.

    Fighting fires one after the other and multiple fires burning simultaneously became the norm until virtually nothing was left to burn.  Some neighborhoods lost as many as 90 percent of their buildings and with 83 and 29, theirs was no different.

    With so many notable fires in the city?s history, one very memorable fire occurred with 83 and 29 first due.  On December 29, 1989 at 1:10 p.m., a backhoe accidentally ruptured a high-pressure gas main at 132nd Street and Locust.  The enormous explosion was felt in quarters as well as ten miles away. Ensuing was a fireball, 100 feet in the air and visible for blocks.  First responding 83 and 29 did all they could to evacuate nearby buildings, as five alarms were transmitted.  One worker was killed immediately and a civilian was blown into the East River, dieing later that night. The blast created a 25-foot deep crater and the heat from the fire melted cars and buses right down to their frames.  No structures were lost due to the quick and decisive actions of the firefighters and just plain luck.

    Along with 83 and 29, Satellite 2 responded out of this house when it was organized on October 1, 1965.  Members of the engine would take it on second alarms or greater, until the satellite relocated to 72 Engine in July of 1975."

    - http://www.1strespondernews.com/webpages/news/displaynews.aspx?PT=columns&cat=FDNY%20Houses&ID=f0c02455-35e6-44c4-950b-2c72104c6331
 

mack

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 8, 2009
Messages
7,932
scoobyd said:
Extremely disappointed in some of the buffs here.  L 29 was TL 29 for a time.  No one noticed! 

Also noteworthy, the late FF Eli Giaquinto, a L 29 medal winner, went on to start a major fire escape servicing company in San Francisco.
Scoobyd - Thanks alot for TL 29 info.  What years did they have a tower ladder assigned?  I will make appropriate notes in company details. 
 

mack

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 8, 2009
Messages
7,932
scoobyd said:
Extremely disappointed in some of the buffs here.  L 29 was TL 29 for a time.  No one noticed! 

Also noteworthy, the late FF Eli Giaquinto, a L 29 medal winner, went on to start a major fire escape servicing company in San Francisco.
Obituary - Eli V. Giaquinto

   

Feb 13, 1936 - May 1, 2017

Passed away unexpectedly at CPMC in San Francisco. Born and raised in Harlem, NYC to Babette and Peride Giaquinto. Eli was a navy veteran and decorated NYC fireman. He drove the ladder truck at Engine 83, Ladder 29 "Da Bums On Da Hill" So. Bronx and retired after 25 yrs. He moved to SF after meeting Susan, who became the love of his life. Eli started two successful business in SF, Giaquinto Janitorial and Great Escape Fire Escape Service. Eli had a warm and generous heart that showed by spoiling any animals. He would cook special meals for Truckie, Maggie, Rocky, Rita and Kook-A-La.

He loved playing softball, starting in NYC as a teenager until age 58 in the SF bar leagues. Eli also spent his years having fun as a bartender at Zhivago's and "The Bell" and being a patron to many others. He frequented the Abbey Tavern with everyone laughing from his stories complete with NY accent while drinking his favorite, a Makers Mark Manhattan on the rocks.
Eli was into gaming and had the magic touch in choosing many winning horses at Bay Meadows OTB, picking yearly football pool winners; even just winning the 2017 Masters Golf pool by picking the long shot. His infamous AA "Attitude Adjustment" party he hosted with Susan for 12 years and monthly poker nights with "the guys" allowed him to express his love for entertaining friends.

Everyone has a favorite "Eli" story to smile upon; The Big "E" will be missed by all.

He leaves behind his wife, Susan Stanich Giaquinto; daughter Kim Giaquinto Hart, granddaughters Toni Marie Wright (Benny), Sammi Jo Jean; and Kayla Rae Powell, daughter of the late Lori Giaquinto-Powell; sister and brother-in-law Francine Stanich Bailey and Jim Bailey; nephew Michael Bailey; half-brother and sisters Bill, Carol, Marian and Nancy.
A Celebration of Life will be held on Saturday, August 26th at the Irish Cultural Center of San Francisco at Noon.

    - Published in San Francisco Chronicle on May 14, 2017

RIP.


Great Escape Fire Escape Company

    http://greatescapeinc.com/about-us/

 

mack

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 8, 2009
Messages
7,932
Ladder 29 - 1986 Seagrave rearmount:

   

    - thanks Willie D
 
Top