FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chief, just as "Spaghetti Park" at 108 street & Corona Avenue, across from the "Lemon Ice King" was kept in order by the "locals." ;)

Chief,  you bring back some great memories for me of the old days at Eng. 225. Yes, the local people on the block were great. The Vesuvious Restaurant on the south east corner of Liberty Ave. and Cleveland St. was the local hang out for the Mafia. The neighborhood watchman for Eng. 225 was a gent called Smitty who lived directly across the street from the fire house. He would come over in the evenings and play pinocle and hearts with the guys. Also during the winter months he would make sure the bay door was closed when they were out of quarters. And Yes, the 39 Battalion was at Eng 236 back in the early forties when I started my career at Eng 225 at the age of TEN.

mack

Administrator
FDNY firehouse landmarks:

Engine Co. 228 at 436 39th St. in the Sunset Park section of Brooklyn and Engine Co. 240/Battalion 48 at 1307-1309 Prospect Ave. in the Windsor Terrace section of Brooklyn; Engine Co. 46/Hook & Ladder 17 at 451-453 E. 176th St. in the Bathgate section of the Bronx and Engine Co. 73/Hook & Ladder 42 at 655-659 and 661 Prospect Ave. (at East 152nd Street) in the Longwood section of the Bronx and Engine Co. 268/Hook & Ladder 137 at 259 Beach 116th Street in the Rockaway Park section of Queens.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/lpc/downloads/pdf/13-01_Five_FDNY_Houses_Landmarked.pdf

305/151's quarters was designed to fit into the area due to the mansions of Forest Hills Gardens and the Kew Gardens area just blocks away.

mack

Administrator
"9-2" 1950s FDNY film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJDo6NO5CHg&t=303s

mack

Administrator
Consolidated list of active and decommissioned FDNY firehouses and communications offices which have NYC Landmark status. Contains Companies, locations, pictures and descriptions.

https://foursquare.com/p/landmarks-preservation-commission/48035203/list/new-york-citys-landmark-firehouses

mack

Administrator
What does it mean to be "Landmarked" for the firehouses which have that status?

http://www.nyc.gov/html/lpc/html/faqs/designation.shtml

This list may be incomplete. 

L 79 on SI was a former volunteer firehouse and oldest FDNY firehouse on SI.  Might be landmarked.

Pier A is historic Manhattan pier and was long-time home of FDNY fireboats and Marine HQ.  Might be landmarked

Fire Patrol 2 Manhattan firehouse should have made Landmark status for protection.

There are many more older active and former firehouses, some volunteer houses too, which might benefit from protective status. 

mack

Administrator
Engine 66 (Marine)/Marine 6  berth - foot of Grand Street, East River, Manhattan 

Engine 66 Marine organized foot Grand Street, East River            1898
    Engine 66 Marine new quarters foot Grand Street, East River        1932
    Engine 66 Marine new quarters foot Grand Street, East River        1941
    Engine 66 Marine disbanded                                                      1955

Marine 6 organized foot Grand Street, East River                        1941
    Marine 6 moved to Bldg 292 Brooklyn Navy Yard                        1992

Fireboats assigned:

Engine 66 "Robert A Van Wyck"                                                1898                                     
    Engine 66 "William L Strong" (renamed)                            1898-1938
    Engine 66 "George B McClellan"                                        1938-1953
    Marine 6 "Alfred E Smith"                                                1961-1992

Fireboat Van Wyck

Fireboat Strong at berth:

Fireboat Strong:

Fireboat McClellan:

Fireboat Alfred E Smith:

Former Engine 66/Marine 6 firehouse - today - Grand Street, East River

Corlears Point - home to pirates and hookers:
"This point of land on the East River was also called Corlaers Hook under Dutch and British rule, and briefly Crown Point during British occupation in the Revolution. It was named after the schoolmaster Jacobus van Corlaer, who settled on this "plantation" that in 1638 ... Corlaer sold the plantation to Wilhelmus Hendrickse Beekman (1623?1707) founder of the Beekman family of New York; his son Gerardus Beekman was christened at the plantation, August 17, 1653. The projection into the East River that retained Corlaer's name was an important landmark for navigators for 300 years. On older maps and documents it is usually spelled 'Corlaers' Hook, but since the early 19th century the spelling has been anglicized to Corlears. The rough unplanned settlement that developed at Corlaer's Hook under the British occupation of New York during the Revolution was separated from the densely populated city by rough hills of glacial till: "this region lay beyond the city proper, from which it was separated by high, uncultivated, and rough hills", observers recalled in 1843. As early as 1816, Corlaer's Hook was notorious for streetwalkers, "a resort for the lewd and abandoned of both sexes", and in 1821 its "streets abounding every night with preconcerted groups of thieves and prostitutes" were noted by the "Christian Herald". In the course of the 19th century they came to be called hookers. In the summer of cholera in New York, 1832, a two-story wooden workshop was commandeered to serve as a makeshift cholera hospital; between July 18 and September 15 when the hospital was closed, as the cholera wound down, 281 patients were admitted, both black and white, of whom 93 died.

The original location of Corlears Hook is now obscured by shoreline landfill.  It was near the east end of the present pedestrian bridge over the FDR Drive near Cherry Street. The name is preserved in Corlear's Hook Park at the intersection of Jackson and Cherry Streets along the East River Drive."  from Wikipedia

Corlears Hook history:
http://theboweryboys.blogspot.com/2009/11/corlears-hook-and-pirate-gangs-of-east.html

http://www.boweryboogie.com/2012/01/corlears-hook-and-its-hooker-history/

Corlears Hook - busy East River neighborhood of Engine 66 in early 1900s:

memory master said:
305/151's quarters was designed to fit into the area due to the mansions of Forest Hills Gardens and the Kew Gardens area just blocks away.

This 1937 photo shows a lot of buildings on Austin Street, the firehouse is pretty much alone on Queens Boulevard.

E3051937_zps14199e85.jpg

What was the Marine Company that was located along the FDR Drive ? I think it was closed several years ago.

Willy D: I believe that was Marine 5 on the FDR.  I believe the fireboat Robert Wagner was assigned there.  After it was closed, there were a few fires in the old fire station.  For a while, it was converted into a private residence.

Okay, thanks John. I remember driving past it on my way to buff Brooklyn. I didn't want to pay the toll on the Triboro. I was usually with our buddy, Bill B. (retired Bridgeport and former Faifield FD) and he didn't want me to pay either. Probably about 35 cents in those days. So we would drive by that Marine Company on our way.

mack

Administrator
Bill - Engine 78 Marine was located at the foot of 90th Street, East River, from 1930 to 1959.  The "McClellan" served as Engine 78.  Engine 78 became Marine 5 in 1959 and remained at it quarters at 90th Street until 1976. Fireboat "Wagner" served as Marine 5 at that location.

Engine 78's quarters:

Marine 5:

That house for Marine 5/E78 was still standing until a few years ago but gone now. The dock however is still there. It's right before you enter the southbound FDR tunnel under Gracie Mansion. I seem to recall the boat being there well into the 1970"s.

3511 said:
That house for Marine 5/E78 was still standing until a few years ago but gone now. The dock however is still there. It's right before you enter the southbound FDR tunnel under Gracie Mansion. I seem to recall the boat being there well into the 1970"s.

Thanks "3511" and thanks Joe. That's correct. That is the Marine Co I was talking about. 90th St/FDR Drive. I passed it so many times on my way to buff Brooklyn. A part of FDNY history now gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.