FDNY call signs broadcasts

Those callsigns/license numbers changed since the switch to UHF. WQFH239 is the Bronx now (not be a radio nerd about it)

I heard the "Beef" often on the radio was as a covering officer in the Bronx. A great dispatcher and great Buff and a great guy. Have fun in the future brother. Captain Bob Rainey FDNYT Engine 26 retired.

keep in mind that the "need" to do the speal with the Assigned License Numbers for the FCC kind of went out when progress " automated" signal devices that identified using morse code...

When atmospheric conditions were good we could get them up in Massachusetts. Actually most of the summer months.
70's we used to drive up near Our High school in town Now the local dispatch center is located there as well and We'd pick all 5 boroughs some times SI over the bronx depending on the atmospheric conditions and at 130 odd miles line of sight diagnally E NE across the sound the city would knock places Like Providence RI ( 50 miles away) right off I am thinking they were on Bronx or brooklyn's frequency ( WILLYD?)

70's we used to drive up near Our High school in town Now the local dispatch center is located there as well and We'd pick all 5 boroughs some times SI over the bronx depending on the atmospheric conditions and at 130 odd miles line of sight diagnally E NE across the sound the city would knock places Like Providence RI ( 50 miles away) right off I am thinking they were on Bronx or brooklyn's frequency ( WILLYD?)

At the time, the Providence Fire Dept shared Brooklyn's frequency of 154.37 mhz

I used to listen to Brooklyn here in the Baltimore area. Sometimes would stay up all night just to listen!

BFD389 wrote:

keep in mind that the "need" to do the speal with the Assigned License Numbers for the FCC kind of went out when progress " automated" signal devices that identified using morse code...

It’s not a need, it’s a legal requirement. FCC requires most license classes to legally ID every hour. Commercial radio and TV stations and public safety radio are among those who have to ID every hour. The legal ID consists of the station’s call sign and city of license. When I started dispatching 31 years ago we did it verbally every hour. Now it’s done automatically via Morse code. As a ham operator I have to ID when I sign on and off, and every 15 minutes while I’m on the air.