mack

Administrator

FDNY Fire Service Line of Duty Death

March 28, 1971 - LODD
Captain John P. Dunne, 40
Ladder 175
FDNY. Brooklyn, New York

1648442678644.png

Captain Dunne was burned to death when he was caught in a flashover as he attempted to rescue trapped occupants in a three-alarm tenement fire. Tenants saved four children when they threw a mattress out of a window and dropped the children on top of it.

The New York Times Archives

FIRE CAPTAIN GETS A HERO'S FUNERAL

By Deirdre Carmody
April 1, 1971

Two thousand uniformed firemen, their white‐gloved hands raised in salute, lined a quiet street in Queens yester day to pay tribute to Capt. John F. Dunne, who died Sunday in a futile rescue attempt in a blazing building.

Captain Dunne had entered flaming apartment to look for four children who, he did not realize, had already been rescued.

The funeral procession began after a Mass of Resurrection in St. Kevin's Roman Cath olic Church at 194th Street and 45th Avenue, Flushing. The flag‐draped bronze coffin was carried slowly down the steps of the church on the shoulders of six firemen who had fought the fatal blaze.

As Mayor Lindsay, Fire Com missioner Robert 0. Lowery and rows of firemen stood at attention, the coffin was placed atop a fire pumper.

At the top of the church steps stood Captain Dunne's widow, Ann, who is expecting her second child in August. She stood very straight, her face composed and her eyes fixed on the coffin, then walked unaided down the steps with members of her family to a waiting limousine.

Procession on Foot

The procession, led by the Mayor and the Fire Commis sioner, proceeded slowly on foot through the neighborhood, where the 40‐year‐old fire captain lived with his wife and year‐old daughter.

Firemen who lined the way fell into step as the procession went by. Men stood on the side walk, hats over their hearts, and women and children stood on the porches of the neat, brick houses, watching the silent cortege pass by.

The procession passed down 45th Avenue and turned right for two blocks on Francis Lewis Boulevard as a muffled bell tolled from a fire pumper. The coffin was then removed to a hearse and taken to Long Island National Cemetery in Pinelawn for burial.

Earlier all the pews in the church were filled and the aisles were crammed with blue coated firemen, most of whom were off‐duty. The mass was concelebrated by five priests, including the Rev. John Sulli van, a cousin of Mrs. Dunne's, and the Rev. Frank Stroud, boyhood friend of Captain Dunne.

A Korean War Veteran

Captain Dunne, a Korean War veteran, who has been recommended for the Fire Department's highest honor, joined the department in 1957. Recently he had worked in the office of the chief of department, but last year he asked to go back to active fire duty and was given command of Ladder 175, a new company in the Bushwick section of Brooklyn.

Early Sunday, shortly after midnight, his company was called to a burning apartment house at 1090 Halsey Street. Captain Dunne, hearing that four children were trapped in side, raced up a fire‐escape into the building. Minutes later he radioed that he was “trapped on the third floor.”

The children, meanwhile, had been thrown to safety onto discarded mattresses in the rear of the building.

RIP. Never forget.

Last edited:

mack

Administrator
Captain John T Dunne, L-175 - LODD - March 28, 1971

Captain Dunne was the 1st company commander of L-175 when it was formed on February 20, 1970. On March 28th, 1971, L-175 responded to a 3 alarm fire at 1090 Halsey Street with children trapped. Captain Dunne entered the 2nd floor to search for the missing children. Shortly later a Mayday was transmitted. The stairway had burned out, making members attempting to rescue Capt Dunne difficult. Capt Dunne was burned to death, his body was found tangled with a bicycle. (from NYC Fire Wire)

Dunne.jpg

Box 33-820 Halsey Street & Evergreen Avenue, Bushwick

1648447408253.png

1648447467111.png

Captain Dunne's rescue effort:

1648447549564.png

1648447596533.png

Last edited:

FDNY Fire Service Line of Duty Deaths

March 28, 1971 - LODD
Captain John P. Dunne, 40
Ladder 175
FDNY. Brooklyn, New York

View attachment 18102

Captain Dunne was burned to death when he was caught in a flashover as he attempted to rescue trapped occupants in a three-alarm tenement fire. Tenants saved four children when they threw a mattress out of a window and dropped the children on top of it.

The New York Times Archives

FIRE CAPTAIN GETS A HERO'S FUNERAL

By Deirdre Carmody
April 1, 1971

Two thousand uniformed firemen, their white‐gloved hands raised in salute, lined a quiet street in Queens yester day to pay tribute to Capt. John F. Dunne, who died Sunday in a futile rescue attempt in a blazing building.

Captain Dunne had entered flaming apartment to look for four children who, he did not realize, had already been rescued.

The funeral procession began after a Mass of Resurrection in St. Kevin's Roman Cath olic Church at 194th Street and 45th Avenue, Flushing. The flag‐draped bronze coffin was carried slowly down the steps of the church on the shoulders of six firemen who had fought the fatal blaze.

As Mayor Lindsay, Fire Com missioner Robert 0. Lowery and rows of firemen stood at attention, the coffin was placed atop a fire pumper.

At the top of the church steps stood Captain Dunne's widow, Ann, who is expecting her second child in August. She stood very straight, her face composed and her eyes fixed on the coffin, then walked unaided down the steps with members of her family to a waiting limousine.

Procession on Foot

The procession, led by the Mayor and the Fire Commis sioner, proceeded slowly on foot through the neighborhood, where the 40‐year‐old fire captain lived with his wife and year‐old daughter.

Firemen who lined the way fell into step as the procession went by. Men stood on the side walk, hats over their hearts, and women and children stood on the porches of the neat, brick houses, watching the silent cortege pass by.

The procession passed down 45th Avenue and turned right for two blocks on Francis Lewis Boulevard as a muffled bell tolled from a fire pumper. The coffin was then removed to a hearse and taken to Long Island National Cemetery in Pinelawn for burial.

Earlier all the pews in the church were filled and the aisles were crammed with blue coated firemen, most of whom were off‐duty. The mass was concelebrated by five priests, including the Rev. John Sulli van, a cousin of Mrs. Dunne's, and the Rev. Frank Stroud, boyhood friend of Captain Dunne.

A Korean War Veteran

Captain Dunne, a Korean War veteran, who has been recommended for the Fire Department's highest honor, joined the department in 1957. Recently he had worked in the office of the chief of department, but last year he asked to go back to active fire duty and was given command of Ladder 175, a new company in the Bushwick section of Brooklyn.

Early Sunday, shortly after midnight, his company was called to a burning apartment house at 1090 Halsey Street. Captain Dunne, hearing that four children were trapped in side, raced up a fire‐escape into the building. Minutes later he radioed that he was “trapped on the third floor.”

The children, meanwhile, had been thrown to safety onto discarded mattresses in the rear of the building.

RIP. Never forget.
Eternal Rest In Peace, God Bless Those Who Serve.

May Captain Dunne continue to Rest in Peace. May his family at home and on the job continue to feel the Lord's Comfort, especially the men who responded to the fire on Halsey Street.

I knew Captain Dunne when he was a Lieutenant in Engine 280. He was a good man who was held in high regard by the men in 280 and 132. Once again, Cap, Rest in Peace.

77-33-820 Evergreen Ave & Halsey St Bushwick.... John Dunne was a Korean War Veteran & had formerly been a Respected CPT of LAD*26-2 before organizing LAD*175 as the CPT.......He was appt on 2-1-57 & assigned to ENG*235 & made The Supreme Sacrifice at 40 yrs of age.

Last edited:

mack

Administrator
L 175 initial quarters 1970-1985
79 New Jersey Ave.
Former quarters L107

L 175 fh 5.jpg

L 175's rig (1963 Seagrave):

L 175 ap 1.jpg

L 175 1963 Seagrave.jpg

Attachments

• L 175 ap 1.jpg
    L 175 ap 1.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 17
^^^^ The '63 Seagrave Reg # 477 was formerly 108s Rig from '63 to '69.......175s next Rig after the '63 was a '68 ALF that formerly was LAD*31.......Howie Carlson RIP did the pin striping on the '63 when he & Joe T. repainted the whole rig after 175 got it.

Last edited:

May you continue to rest in comfort Captain Dunne. When I first came on the job a senior man told me about this Captain’s death. I researched it as much as I could. For 40 years after I always thought if a man of Captain Dunne’s experience, knowledge and skill could get trapped like he did, it could happen to anyone of us, certainly me. As a result I always buckled the waist strap on my mask. I got chided and got my balls busted sometimes, but all good. I would like to think that in some small way Captain Dunne’s death was not in vain and helped keep me alive. RIP Captain, I certainly will always remember.

I was a Buff before I went on the job. I was on my way home from Kennedy Airport, when over my Buff radio I heard the 10-75 and took in Box 802.
When my friend and I arrived, the fire looked much like the photos above. Truly at the time, 1971 the FDNY had no Mayday signal, but it was clear something was wrong. All my friend and I could do was remove our hats and make the sign of the cross. I can close my eyes and still see Capt. Dunn's boots as he was lowered to the ground. One of the most beautiful tributes to John Dunne is in the Editors Commnet in the WNYF 2nd 1971 above.
"If a man has nothing to give his life for it is because he stands for nothing" "John let us never forget I never will." Captain Bob Rainey FDNY E-26 retired