FDNY company interchanges during the war years

FDNY company interchanges during the war years. How did it work? Was it a regular schedule? Did the companies change with the same companies or was it random? Were all boros involved? I know that E313 in queens was part of the interchange who would they exchange with? When did the program start and end. What were the hours? Thanks, Bob

kinda a long time ago, if memory serves me  we had to have 21 runs or 6 hours fire duty on a 6x9 and interchange the next night, rotating co's (didn't want to overwork them) ... 136,173,157....I dont remember the dates, sorry

http://nycfire.net/forums/index.php/topic,3342.msg9677.html#msg9677                ......                                    Several previous threads on Interchange...
****** I always thought the interchange sucked .... i participated in it from start to finish it did no favors for either the busy or slow Companies...it did do the bean counters a favor by lowering runs considerably  ........most where working in the environment they wanted to work in & did not want to be forced to switch...in the period between '68 to '75 we were involved w/4 slower LADs never did anyone of them or any one of us say "boy i like this better" & put in a transfer......many stories about it but i will just sum it up by saying it sucked.

Some more threads concerning interchange......                                                                                                                                              http://nycfire.net/forums/index.php?action=search2;params=eJwtjlELgzAMhP_LXvZyDyZOq79Gahumo2tH7TYG_fGLIoRw9yUcZ_3HRie-XivVS53zoToQuAERqMEIgx40gEaQCgO6gQ0YLaiF_jJYpwcP0EsL1t1p2rak7-TS8xWkiObu6D0_xJUpxfA7Scpl8mtW52VzJ1GXJchRbkdis1sUrrGIKhvv8gfFozw6;start=0

mack

Administrator
Before the official Interchange program the Chief described so appropriately ("it sucked"), there was a period of time during which companies were stripped from less busy areas and relocated into high response areas on a regular basis.  I would say during the mid 1960s, companies were pulled nightly from Staten Island, for example, and operated in Brooklyn or the Bronx.  Lots of complaints from neighbors left without fire protection.  Wasteful - a lot of travel time.  No one knew the areas they were assigned. 

The department formed many double section companies and battalions in the late 1960s to address the increasingly heavy workload. 

1970s - FDNY formed a new division, a few new battalions (including the 60th battalion in Bklyn a "floating battalion), a lot of new companies, two temporary firehouses ("Tin House"), adaptive response (reduced 2&1 response afternoons and nite peak hours), tactical control units (engines and trucks), ERS alarm boxes, DRB responses for battalion chiefs, purchased a lot of tower ladders, tried rapid water and other ideas to help the War Years workload.  Some worked, some didn't.

When my dad got on the job in the late seventies he's was assigned to engine 217 in Brooklyn they would swap with engine 258 out of queens.