FDNY Fireboat in New London, CT 10/1/16

BCR

Bulldog said:
Not that it really means anything but I just went over to Marinetraffic.com and look at fleet listing for FDNY and the 343 doesn't show up on the list? It looks like everything else does including the summer boats etc. Just thought it was rather strange. Anyone know if the 343 was on that list in the past?
I am not sure what they are doing but remember, these boats are one of a kind, never made before, never made after, I'm sure there are certain issues that are getting ironed out as they go before the yard periods can be further apart. After all the last big boat purchase was in what ? 50's ? 60's ?

Bulldog

Bulldog
BCR said:
I am not sure what they are doing but remember, these boats are one of a kind, never made before, never made after, I'm sure there are certain issues that are getting ironed out as they go before the yard periods can be further apart. After all the last big boat purchase was in what ? 50's ? 60's ?
For the cost of these boats they shouldn't be having problems of any kind. Every large boat built whether a fireboat, ocean liner or... is unique and custom-built. You don't hear of major problems on them as often as you hear about problems and these boats. Leads me to believe that due diligence wasn't done during the design and build process by either the manufacturer or FDNY or possibly both.

I've got to disagree with you, Bull.  ANY first in class ship (or plane) has far more problems than those built later in the process . . . and the bigger or more complicated the item, the more problems to expect.  Look at the F-111 (now I'm dating myself).  The first aircraft off the line were real dogs . . . constantly out of service (that is if they didn't crash).  For you youngun's, the F-111 was the first fighter to have a swing-wing configuration . . . 90 degrees to the fuselage when landing/taking off, and swept when flying at speed.  More examples are the F-22 and F-35, both of which had (and in the case of the F-35, have) major issues with the first ones built.  Another is the new aircraft carrier, CVN-78, the USS Gerald R. Ford.  It was scheduled to be delivered to the Navy in 2015, but now isn't expected to be turned over until later this year.  Major new systems such as the new Electromagnetic Launch System (EMALS), which replaces the old steam catapult launchers, the Advanced Arresting Gear (to stop landing planes), and several other major systems have had multiple issues, partly as a result of not working the way designers expected them to.  Does that mean that either the Navy, Air Force or designers were incompetent?  No.  It means that problems arise any time you try something new.

Bulldog said:
BCR said:
For the cost of these boats they shouldn't be having problems of any kind. Every large boat built whether a fireboat, ocean liner or... is unique and custom-built. You don't hear of major problems on them as often as you hear about problems and these boats. Leads me to believe that due diligence wasn't done during the design and build process by either the manufacturer or FDNY or possibly both.

"Bulldog", I'm on the outside looking in just like you.

The FDNY is the largest and most likely MOST EXPERIENCED Fire Dept in the country. They have experts that work fulltime whether it is designing a new fireboat, putting out a fire, or performing some of the largest water rescues ever, such as the "Miracle on the Hudson", or Flight 5050. A major airline crash in Jamacia Bay several years ago. ALL involved numerous successful rescues of civilians.

A few of us were lucky enough to get a tour of one of these larger boats. I was amazed at some of the design features that were pointed out to us. The ability to operate at a major haz mat incident on the water, to a small version of a hospital emergency room right on board had been very well planned out.

Throughout the many years that I have been a buff, I have been able to learn from the FDNY. That has also held true for many of my friends outside the FDNY consisting of career and volunteer firefighters, officers, and chiefs. When something was found that didn't work, "the FDNY changed it". An example is when the FIRST Tower Ladders came in and were assigned to Ladders 1 and 14 back in the late 60s. Since then, there have certainly been many changes to them. But because the FDNY was one of the first and the great job that those towers ladders did, there were many more purchased. Not only by the FDNY, but many other cities as well.

Good or Bad, because of the FDNY having the ability to face so many challenges, it has become the proving ground for many other places as well. I have learned that the people who design and operate this equipment are without a doubt the best there is. If a particular piece of equipment can pass the test there, it will most likely pass the test anywhere.

I have full confidence that if anything is going on with any of these boats or any other equipment, the FDNY is right on top of it.

Looks like the 343 is back in New York City, it's sitting (floating?) in quarters now. According to the Marine Traffic website, it left New London yesterday around 14:00 and arrived in New York around 21:00.

Thanks for the update; I have been seeing in NL every week for a very long time.  Glad she's back in NYC.

BCR

Firefighter II is now in Connecticut on the Thames River, same place the 343 was

Have meant to post for a while but there has been an FDNY fireboat in drydock in New London, CT again for several weeks.  Can't tell if it the "343" or Firefighter II.  This evening around 9PM I passed an FDNY pickup truck marked Marine Operations on its way to New London on I-95.  Seems like a weird time for just an inspection; perhaps it is the manning to retire the boat to the Big Apple.  Anyone know which boat has been out of service for a while?