FDNY MDT

Hello together,

i?am Tobi from Germany near Hamburg.

I?am listening to the bravest.com (Manhatten/Bronx)every day. Form other hompage, i know there are MDT?s in all Engine and Ladder. I?am informed that it is allowed to her fire radio in USA, but here in Germany it is not allowed to hear fire/police/EMS by scanner!!!

My questions is: Is there a possibility to get this informations by scanner and the programm MDT Monitor (as server) through my computer. I know, that a can?t hear with my German scanner this frequenzies here in Germany.
Is there anybody who can help me with this. I?am very interested in FDNY.

Here in Germany we can get the pager alarm with scanner and a special programm....

Hope my emnglich is good enough!  ;)

Thankyou very much for your help!

Tobi

Sir,  in response to your question, if anybody out there can help you, it is the member ---  fd347  --- . He is a supervising Dispatcher and he is always willing to help. "I hope he doesn"t mind me passing his member number onto you". If you click on members at the top of this page and go to his name (fd347), then click on the small envelope you can send him an E-mail message. As far as picking up the FDNY on the Bravest.com, there are a few other sites out there, but fd347 would know more about it. As for a way of getting the information from the MDTs, I don"t think that is possible. Hope you are able to get help with your question.

If you click on members at the top of this page and go to his name (fd347), then click on the small envelope you can send him an E-mail message.

Or, you can just wait until I show up here :)

Currently, it's not possible to intercept MDT data. Several years ago the signalling format was changed from MDC 1200 to RD-LAP. There is a program out there that can decode MDC 1200 and it worked well here back then. However, I'm told RD-LAP is a proprietary format and the legal types at Motorola will forcefully protect their intellectual property. If someone is brave enough to compile such a program it probably would be passed on secretly.

Maybe you know some programmers that can do it but you're too far away. You would need to be in the local area to pick up the RF transmission in the 800 MHz range, UHF doesn't skip that well.

The computers that run our CADS and MDTs are not connected to the net, they're completely isolated, stand-alone units running on dedicated wires.

Sorry, you'll have to settle for my freinds at thebravest.com.

Not the belittle or downgrade the bravest.com site but I have had a lot of success with the scanamerica.com site.

When I was in the military as a cop, I had a similar setup for the MDT's... the system was seperate from the internet to protect it from interruptions and unauthorized individuals to try and access the information. (known to Americans as "hackers") Data traffic could not be intercepted or duplicated by anyone without our software, network keys, modems, antennae and IP addresses AND it was all done with bare-bones wireless technology.... intercepting MDT traffic is not an easy thing to do. I would imagine the FDNY is the same way with the MDT systems?

A

aussiegeorge

g'day out there from Sydney Australia,over here it is also not possible to scan police anymore in the city as they have gone to a encrypted radio system and you have to have a resisted police radio  ,the fire and ems Dept's are looking in to the same but at present you can still scan them.the media ain't to happy as now they have no idea whats happening and are foreever ringing the fire and ems comms centres trying to find out whats going on(as they can still scan them).The fire dept also has a cell phone in each fire appliance and lots of incident related messages get passed that way to comms/dispatch .

i am a relieving supervisor in the fire dept communications centre,that is I'm assigned there but when not needed I'm back out at a fire station as a station officer(capt).In my dept all dispatchers are firefighters assigned to comms.(some are classed as light duties personal and as such can't be assigned to a fire engine),when you transfer here you have to sign up for at least 2 years as a dispatcher.We have 2 supervisors and 9 operators on each tour working the same tour as firefighters in fire stations that being 2x10 hour days 2x14 hour nights then 4 days off.We dispatch around 450 alarms a day to the 96 fire stations in Sydney.

Bulldog

Bulldog
That's an awful low call volume for that many stations!  What kind of construction are most of your buildings?  Do you run to accidents and on EMS calls?  I'm assuming the answer will be no unless your people are a lot safer and healthier than most Americans.

Bulldog said:
That's an awful low call volume for that many stations!  What kind of construction are most of your buildings?  Do you run to accidents and on EMS calls?  I'm assuming the answer will be no unless your people are a lot safer and healthier than most Americans.
Remember that construction standards in America are pretty poor and fire is a much bigger threat.

Remember that construction standards in America are pretty poor and fire is a much bigger threat.
[/quote]

I agree with you completely on this; do you know of any studies, papers etc which have been written on this topic, ie comparing US standards to other nations?

Thanks

I know that from listening to Sydney fire stream is that Sydney does not respond on EMS calls, but does for MVAs. They will assist EMS if requested, aka a patient lift.

Bulldog

Bulldog
LondonMedic said:
I'm not sure the construction standards are that much different.  The big difference is the actual methods of instruction.  The U.S. uses a lot of wood frame structures partially because of the availability of wood here.  Europe uses more masonry construction because of the lack of availability for wood.  I'm not sure what the construction materials are in Australia which is why I asked.

manhattan said:
I agree with you completely on this; do you know of any studies, papers etc which have been written on this topic, ie comparing US standards to other nations?
Not that I'm familiar with or have access to. Only what I know from firecrew around the world.

A

aussiegeorge

450 alarms is average,that makes it a pretty busy comms centre 1 alarm every 3 min,we don't run ems only fire,rescue, hazmat.Well 95 of the fire stations don't run ems 1 does but its one of 4 vollie stations left in the city and is in a remote location 12 miles from its nearest ems or fire station they are trained first responders and ave 40 runs a month 30 of which are ems.There is talk of the fire dept taking on first responder but its still talk ,the union says first firefighters must get a good pay rise for the role.The ems dept respond ave 1200 calls a day and if the fire dept did it as well it would add around 400 calls a day to the fire dept.The busiest pumper(engine)responded to over 8000 runs last year and the slowest 346, so like elsewhere there are some busy company's and some slow ones.Yes building and fire standards are a lot stricter in Australia .Sydney would be about as busy as Los Angles without the ems runs.