Fdny Mutual Aid to the Twa flight 800 Crash 7/17/96

was chucking out some old vhs tapes which was full of crap. But was going through each one  to see what was on them. On one of the tapes i had Recorded some of the 12 pm wabc 7 news telecast and as the report was going on the camera panned out to one of the staging areas  and i noticed the fdny scuba support unit and the backend of one of the 1991 chevy suburbans battalion operating. Does anyone recall what else they send im sure a marine unit was there too??

I don't recall what units went, but F.D.N.Y. personnel did do some diving. I believe the Navy divers did most of the recovery work.

69 METS said:
I don't recall what units went, but F.D.N.Y. personnel did do some diving. I believe the Navy divers did most of the recovery work.

i actually did some google research and all i found (aside 99 pages of conspiracy b.s.) seems it was mostly soc scuba divers.

I was in Camp Lejeune, NC at the time and I do believe FDNY Marine Division did send one of the boats.  I do remember calling my dad, he was in M-1 at the time, and him talking about operating out there for about a week or so. 

I was there, was in the USCG (H49) that time, assigned to the Eaton's Neck Station. Just graduated the CG Academy in Cape May,NJ that June of 96. Around 8 that evening we just finished docking the vessel for the night, when the "GONG bells" went off, was an assist to the Air/Sea rescue Station at the time out of Floyd Bennett Field,for a search of a possible explosion over the water. Being on the North Shore and having to go all around Orient Point and Montauk Point, in our 32 foot patrol boat was one Heck of a ride. I was the Boatswain Mate, location was originally fuzzy but we found the debris field quick. There were "a lot" of floaters on the ocean surface, we packed around 6 full bodies and multi fragmented body pieces onto the floor of the vessel and made our way back to the docks in Mastic. We kept picking up the Long Island Vollie diver's and bringing them out. The most amount of diver's there. Were the US Navy, followed by NYPD sent a hell of a response, and YES I did see FDNY there but had a very limited role. Was declared an active crime scene shortly that night and that prohibited a lot of your civilian diver's to enter that space. WOW, that was some 3 weeks. Was not the happiest experience and just being 18, was a shocker. I was and still is amazed on how some vic's look as if sleeping and other's...... Well we all know. Have not talked about this in some time.
This site is great....just to vent at time's. Thank you guys, stay safe.