FDNY Orders 12 More Ferrara Ladders

Any idea when Ferrara is going to start building these rigs?

And does anyone know when the new Seagraves are going to be delivered for 147 and 175?

lf nothing else, the new ones look nicer with the aluminum wheels and different rear door windows.

http://www.ferrarafire.com/NewDeliveries/Pages/HD100/h5695.html

At some point in time maybe the city will wise up and buy lasting quality like in times past....one can only hope!

Lasting quality, unfortunately, does not come from the lowest bidder (gone are the days of the 15 year to 20 year rigs), but I do hope this latest generation of Ferrara's has some improvements over the previous models and hold up better.

Nasibova said:
lf nothing else, the new ones look nicer with the aluminum wheels and different rear door windows.

I don't the members are concerned with attractiveness of the rig. It's the functional durability and safety aspects that count. Remember that old adage...."Beauty is only skin deep."

memory master said:
Nasibova said:

I don't the members are concerned with attractiveness of the rig. It's the functional durability and safety aspects that count. Remember that old adage...."Beauty is only skin deep."
Memory ...yes beauty IS only skin deep...it IS about function /durabilty first..."back when" the Companies that cared modified for functionality & also dressed up their Rig's... the ones that did not let them remain generic .....looking at a Rig back then showed something about the Unit....today in the "everybody gets a trophy" world the Job sends patches & logos to the manufacturer who paste's them on the Rigs...not the same as those who opted to do it themselves because they had Pride but you can only go so far trying to make a Rig functional if it is a POS......JMO.

Very well said, Chief.  The magic word in your response is "pride".  Does anyone recall when "pride" left the building?

Indeed, well said Chief. Pride goes (and went) a long way, even kept some POS rigs on the road.

I'm pretty sure 110 has a Ferrara.  Probably using a spare like almost everyone is now a days

Looking at Ferrara's website under "New Deliveries" for this latest batch of rearmounts, the "specs" say the bodies are extruded aluminum where previous rigs were stainless steel.
Did FDNY change the specs to extruded aluminum bodies? If so, are these rigs an experiment to see how they hold up in NYC?

1261Truckie said:
Looking at Ferrara's website under "New Deliveries" for this latest batch of rearmounts, the "specs" say the bodies are extruded aluminum where previous rigs were stainless steel.
Did FDNY change the specs to extruded aluminum bodies? If so, are these rigs an experiment to see how they hold up in NYC?

soda-acid
View Profile  Personal Message (Offline)

Re: New FDNY Ladder 167
? Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 05:00:51 PM ?
Body: Extruded Aluminum. Did they change the specs for the body from steel to aluminum? Or is it a mistake?
Report to moderator    Logged
Offline Bulldog

? Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 05:16:00 PM ?
Quote from: soda-acid on November 30, 2016, 05:00:51 PM
Body: Extruded Aluminum. Did they change the specs for the body from steel to aluminum? Or is it a mistake?
I noticed that too. I'd be surprised if they did. Obviously aluminum is corrosion resistant like stainless steel but it's also much less resilient to fatigue fractures than stainless steel is. I hope somebody knows for sure and can fill us in.
Offline soda-acid

? Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 05:56:25 PM ?
On the "New Deliveries" page L.36 & L.167 are listed as having aluminum bodies. All of the previous deliveries are stainless steel.
Online HCO
View Profile  Personal Message (Online)

? Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 06:58:41 PM ?
The reference to aluminum, above, is incorrect. The planned 15 new rearmounts, none of which are yet in service, will have 3CR12 stainless steel split cabs and bodies. No aluminum, extruded or otherwise, is part of the delivery.

Nasibova,
Thanks for the references. I somehow missed them or forgot I saw them.....brain farts on my part
Jim (aka 1261truckie)