FDNY PRIMARY DISPATCH GOING UHF

I hear in 2008 the FDNY co in Staten island will be going UHF for all dispatch.

my question is two parts.

1 did anyone hear the same??
2 will it be analog or digital mode--apco 25.

if digital is the case we will have to buy motorola radio that do digital mode for those who do not like to carry a scanner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
FDNY108.
Take a look at these plans.  They go over the new radio system.
http://www.concepts2ops.com/Channel%2016%20Presentation%20APCO.pdf

As of now FDNY EMS and Fire will not be digital.  Fire will move to UHF along with EMS with the VHF system getting shutdown.

Here is a quick view of what will happen
EMS's 800mhz trunked system will be merged into the DOITT trunked system...  Already Completed.

Creation of a 6 channel UHF trunked system linked into the 800mhz Doitt system.  This will alow FDNY to use one UHF radio for both Dispatch and Admin stuff.  This may be Digital?

FDNY Fire will move all Dispatch to UHF with one channel per boro and two citywide channels.

This will give FDNY Fire and EMS a 20 channel Conventional radio system. Not Digital.

F

FF110

I hope your 800 trunked system workes better than ours first did when it first came on line. If took them years to work the bug out of it. Your dept should keep the VHF system as backup until everyone is confident that the new system works right. 

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
FDNY has dealt with two 800MHz trunked systems. One was for NYCEMS and the other DOITT.

The DOITT system was never a problem and was only used as an admin system and for the Fire Marshall's.

The EMS system sucked when they tried to use it for dispatch and then moved to UHF.  The kept the 800 for admin and support stuff.

The new FDNY system will be UHF but not trunked.  They will be building a trunked system on UHF for all the stuff currently on 800MHz.  So in the future FDNY will be all UHF and no VHF or800MHz.

Sorry, I'm not a radio gearhead, what is a trunked system and how does it work?

Here is a pretty good explanation of trunked radio...  http://www.bensware.com/scandfw/trunked.htm