FDNY "Quints"

O

oldfiredog

mmattyphoto said:
If I'm not mistaken when E70 had that rig L53 had been closed and they rode with 7or 8 members. maybe someone can verify.

When they tried to consolidate certain houses in the city, E.70 and L.53 on City Island were consolidated into one (1) company.  They wore these stupid looking frontpieces that were half red-half black.  They were known as CFC 7053 (Combination Fire Company.)
E.70's rig was a Mack pumper with a telescopic boom and a remote controlled master stream nozzle on the end.  The rig was known as a ""Squirt" (or Telesquirt)  I believe the apparatus was originally designed for use in a Brooklyn company, possibly Engine 227.   It was replaced after about a year with a conventional rig.

J

ja488

oldfiredog said:
johnd248 said:
The Sutphens at L 14 and L 119 were classified as tower ladders; never thought of as quints.

That was L. 14 and L.163 in Woodside.  They were known as Aardvarks by the neighboring companies.

TL-119 had the Sutphen, 163 had the ALF/LTI Rear mount ladder tower.

Here's a video showing TL14's ALF 100 ft. tower going to work  http://nycfire.net/forums/index.php/topic,1390.msg0.html#

O

oldfiredog

ja488 said:
oldfiredog said:
johnd248 said:
The Sutphens at L 14 and L 119 were classified as tower ladders; never thought of as quints.

That was L. 14 and L.163 in Woodside.  They were known as Aardvarks by the neighboring companies.

TL-119 had the Sutphen, 163 had the ALF/LTI Rear mount ladder tower.
YOU ARE CORRECT, SIR.

oldfiredog said:
mmattyphoto said:
If I'm not mistaken when E70 had that rig L53 had been closed and they rode with 7or 8 members. maybe someone can verify.

When they tried to consolidate certain houses in the city, E.70 and L.53 on City Island were consolidated into one (1) company.  They wore these stupid looking frontpieces that were half red-half black.  They were known as CFC 7053 (Combination Fire Company.)
E.70's rig was a Mack pumper with a telescopic boom and a remote controlled master stream nozzle on the end.  The rig was known as a ""Squirt" (or Telesquirt)  I believe the apparatus was originally designed for use in a Brooklyn company, possibly Engine 227.   It was replaced after about a year with a conventional rig.

It was actually CFC 121.